External Hard Drive failing, need help?????

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by mr mister, Jan 30, 2008.

1. mr mister

mr mister New Member

So my external harddrive (WD My Book Premium Edition 320GB) cant be recognized by my computer. Ive emailed Western Digital and they are slow as balls at getting back and their advice runs the likes of "try plugging it into another usb port," im not that retarded... The thing spools up and runs then clicks, like its turning off, and the light stops spinning and goes solid. Ive got 15k songs, 40 movies, a bunch of tv shows on and ill shit if i cant get it all off. I went to best buy and they told me they had the same prob on their computer, and could charge me $60 to run a diagnostic and tell me if they could get the data off and then would charge me $160 to actually get it off. The geek squad guy also said it might just be the case and it might work fine if i cracked it open and replaced the case.... Im fairly computer/tech illiterate and just know how to plug shit in and drag files. Any ideas on what is going on or how to fix it, or should i just get ripped off/pay to get my data pulled by the geek squad?

Cliffs: talked to geek squad and western digital and no help except to pay for data transfer. Drive turns on yet isnt recognized by my laptop. What could it be????

Thanks in advance

2. FartLighter

FartLighter Resident Fart Expert OT Supporter

My best guess is partition table corruption or problems with the MBR. What I would do is test the drive using WD's diagnostic utility, or something like Ultimate Boot CD, since the OS cannot detect the drive.

I did have an external drive that would power on but no data would be transferred (same problem as yours). It did turn out that the case was bad. As long as the hard disk starts up and does not make any weird noises...

Have you tried it on another computer? I imagine it still wouldn't work though.

3. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

your sorta stuck

the best way to get data off of the drive would be to open the case and pull out the hard drive. then hook it up as a slave drive and run something like getdataback.

however, 2 things wrong with that scenario. first, you will most likely void your warranty if you open the case (look for stickers that say void if removed). so that means that you will not be able to RMA the drive back to western digital, if it is still under warranty.

the second problem is that you might hook it up and the drive is dead...now you have a dead drive and no warranty

i'm guessing you never backed up this drive

4. mr mister

mr mister New Member

Thanks for the advice thats where i figured i was at. im more concerned with recovering the data than having wd cover the replacement of the drive. I can buy a new drive and cant find all that music movies... again. I have 55GB of the 73GB of music backed up but nothing else, and all the new stuff is on there of course...

Thanks again

5. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

If money isn't too big of an issue (not cheap) and you can't get the drive to be recognized, you can always try and have the info professionally retrieved.

6. michelin man

michelin man IDB Construction

at the office one of my external drives started to fail so i opened it and took the drive out. then i installed the drive in my pc to get the data off.