External FW400 enclosures

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by colosodian, Jul 25, 2005.

1. colosodian

colosodian Next Gen

Any recomindations for a 3.5" enclosure? It will be connected to a mini, so fw800 is not necescary. Wont be neccescary to boot off this drive, but its possible that the drive will have a FAT32 partition.

2. colosodian

colosodian Next Gen

3. Laserbeak

Laserbeak Remember kids! Be like Billy! BEHAVE YOURSELVES!

I purchased this one, since I only needed FireWire 400. It was really easy to install my 3.5" IDE drive into it, and it fired right up on the first try.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817146602

I also dropped my brother's NTFS drive into the enclosure and then gave it to him to plug into his new computer today, fired up on the first try too. I think it's a solid price for a well-known brand. :)

4. colosodian

colosodian Next Gen

WTF?

"When you install Windows XP, the Linux partitions can be removed and new partitions created and formatted with the appropriate file system type during the installation process. Windows XP allows you to create more than one primary partition. Windows XP does recognize the FAT32 file system. During the installation of Windows XP, you can create a very large FAT32 drive. The FAT32 drive can be converted to NTFS after the installation has completed, if appropriate."

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314458

Since when has XP not supported FAT32 file systems? Im going to create, as they call it, a very large FAT32 partition to be used by both XP Pro and 10.4.

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

reading comprehention wasn't your strong-point in school, was it?

I like kingwin aluminum enclosures.

6. untoastytoast

untoastytoast The Glory Days

Thanks for posting how you enterpreted it reading comprehension master :bowdown:

7. Skoles

Skoles Guest

Do they sell enclosures that match the look of the G5? There is a company that does, but you have to buy their drive too so it's $300 for something like 40gb.