A&P external flash for the Powershot S5 IS

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by wizeguy4, Oct 24, 2007.

1. wizeguy4

wizeguy4 New Member

I am looking to get this camera. I also want to be able to add a flash to it. The one issue is that the flashes that are made by Canon cannot be remotely triggered, so the flash must be mounted on the camera in order to work. This is what Canon told me at least.

So is there another company's flash that will work with Canon and can be remotely triggered or mounted to the camera?

2. mojito

mojito New Member

pocket wiards + any flash
    or any other trigger like skyports or the cheapo ebay ones

or you can get a hot shoe to pc adapter and have it wired to an external flash, again any flash (you'll need a hot shoe to pc adapter on the flash end too most likely

3. IntheWorks

IntheWorks windin film.. takin pics Moderator

does the s5 IS have a hot shoe? anyway.. you can fire a canon flash off camera using pocket wizards, or the "poverty pocket wizards" check out strobist.com for more info.

4. mojito

mojito New Member

I had to edit mine, s5 does, s3 doesn't.

5. wizeguy4

wizeguy4 New Member

Not that I am being cheap but I am not wanting to spend as much for the pocket wizards as I am on the flash itself (220 or 430ex - prolly the 430EX)

Will teh Sigma flashes allow it? I am waiting to call Sigma back cause they were on lunch.

If not, I will manage with the flash on the camera. I am set on getting this camera, just thought it would be nice to squeeze a few extra features out of it.

6. mojito

mojito New Member

ok, I just reread what you wrote, canon flashes can be remotely triggered.
    the 580/550 can be masters or slaves. the 430/420 can be slaves only. the 220 and below need some type of trigger, either a slave, wireless transmitter or wired transmitter.

theres many many options, but none come standard on the camera, let along most pro grade dslrs.

I'd aldo look into the Canon G9, not for this issue just because its a better camera overall.

there are cheepo ebay wireless triggers that will work assuming you know how to manually control a flash.

the other option is a canon st-e2 that is a wireless transmitter that supports ettl (electronic through the lens metering, assuming the camera supports it???)
    it would then allow you to have a 430/580 off camera and remoetly trigger it with ettl compatability. But its $200. less range that PW, but has ettl and helps focus in low light

7. mojito

mojito New Member

but yes sigma flashes will work too, again you need a trigger of some kind and maybe an adapter depending on trigger of choice

8. wizeguy4

wizeguy4 New Member

Well I just spoke with Canon and then I come back here and see that you have just written what they just told me!! Should have just hit my F5 key

The S5 IS is not capable of triggering a flash not mounted to the hot shoe at all.

But I was told teh G9 would be able to. So now I must decide on which camera I want.

So let me say this - I am not a photographer. I am just a father who has a daughter in gymnastics, dance, and cheerleading and wants to take nice pictures of her. All of these things have events indoors and all of them require me to be a good distance from her as a spectator. So I decided I needed to get rid of my SD 700IS and look for something with a hot shoe (a new word for me) So I have been in a toss up between the G9 and the S5.

The G9 allows for remotely triggering a flash, which I am not sure I will use but I may the more I enjoy taking pictures of my kids. It is also more megapixels and it also allows for RAW mode (which honestly, I am not sure I will take advantage of as I understand this to be something more for those into editing their picutres) but I may someday.

The S5 does not have this but it does have a 12x optical zoom which I know I will use all the time.

So the 1 camera has features I may not use but may help me take a better picture and the other has a features I will definately use and is priced less. I am just not seeing how teh G9 would be really that beneficial except for the triggering of an external flash?

9. IntheWorks

if it has a hot shoe, you can remotely fire a flash... with a trigger/receiver combo. Canon is probably telling you there is no built in wireless feature.

10. wizeguy4

wizeguy4 New Member

That is what I meant.

how much are these cheapo trigger/receiver combos? Cause I am thinking of going with the S5 and then get one of these combo things for practice and see how I like it and if this really does become something I do like, it would prolly be in my best interest to get something of higher quality

11. IntheWorks

they seem to be hit or miss. I've had good luck with mine up until the last couple of weeks.. but I think it's due to the batteries getting low....

you can buy the cactus V2 triggers/receivers on ebay, or directly thru gadget infinity, but then you have to wait on shipping from hong kong. Or you can call the guys at MPEX (www.mpex.com) and order them thru there and get them in 1/2 the time (assuming they have them in stock) And I stress CALL MPEX. they are a local store here in columbus that's still wet behind the ears with ordering online, you get much better, and faster service calling them.