GUN External extractors -VS- internal extractors on 1911's

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Accord, Jan 1, 2006.

1. Accord

Accord New Member

On 1911's, what are the advantages and disadvantes of having an external extractor vs. a internal extractor? I've heard the externals are more reliable?

2. chakup

chakup Guest

internal has been around for a long ass time and works- external started with kimber I believe and they had lots of problems up front, now a couple other companies use them and they work pretty well.

external is supposed to be easier to adjust and internal is a "true" 1911

3. Accord

Accord New Member

How are the external extractors on the SW1911's? I really like the SW1911's but hate the look of the external extractor, no idea if they're beneficial or not though.

4. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

gotta get a para power extractor :kdubb:

5. Accord

Accord New Member

I was looking on arfcom in some of the SW1911 threads where people were talking about the external extractor on them, and someone said that many of John Browning's later model 1911's designs actually had external extractors.

6. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

It seems that Wilson is the only one that has gotten the external extractor right.

7. Accord

Accord New Member

I'm buying myself a 1911 for my 21st birthday and from all the research i've been doing, it seems like the most reliable mid-level 1911 out of the box is the SW1911. In all the external extractor threads on 1911forum.com, people are saying that Kimber's miserable failure with the external extractors left a bad taste in everyones mouth even though the ones on the SW1911 are perfect and function flawlessly. I have not been able to find a single problem or issue with the external extractors on the SW's and from everywhere i've read, even in the Kimber forums, people are saying SW are the only ones who have gotten it right.

I want to spend between $700 and $800 and i'm not partial to any particular 1911, however reliability is my #1 concern. I also don't really like the LOOK of the external extractors, but if they function perfectly on the SW's then I can't really complain because I love everything else about the SW1911.

8. Platinum_Thunder

Get a Springfield

9. Accord

Accord New Member

What makes them better than a Kimber, S&W, etc. in a similar price range?

10. chakup

chakup Guest

great warraty, great gun and usually more features per dollar. I had an ultra compact and deicded I wanted a full size and now have the full size loaded model. ran ~400 rounds so far with no problems. my wife ran ~20 rounds through it and every shot was very limp wristed and still no problems.

11. Platinum_Thunder

Cuz they are reliable :hsugh: