External Drives and Ext. Enclosures

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by veonake, Aug 9, 2005.

1. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

Usually am not the one to be asking the questions, but here it goes.

I have a desktop with a combined ~400GB of storage. About 370 of that is currently being used. I also have an apple powerbook with about 60GB used. Currently I am pretty much just using the desktop as a file server, partially because BOTH 19" monitors I own have all but given out on me. What I am looking to do is add some form of external storage and transfer nearly all non-essential files (movies, music, installers, etc). This way I can simply plug in whichever computer that need's immediate access, rather than dealing with the network. My files would also be somewhat portable if I really need to take them.

Here is what I am considering:
    1) Purchasing something like this: http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/MEFW912AL2/
    A dual hard drive enclosure running RAID and firewire 800. Then buying two 300GB internal drives and loading them up. This would run me roughly $400 for 600-640GB capacity. Or, ~$300 for 500GB of space at current newegg prices (~110 for 250GB).

2) Buying a premade external drive, like the Lacie Big Disk Extreme 500GB firewire 800. I don't know about the reliability of Lacie, but I've heard the B.D.Extreme is fast. What other options are out there for external RAID disks?

My goal is this: 500GB (or preferably more) capacity. firewire800 interface (preferably 400/USB as well). RAID. Cheap (haha).

2. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

3. veonake

:eek4:

Anyone?

4. veonake

Bump, someone has to have suggestions.