Extending partition

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by MSTRBKR, Nov 18, 2009.

1. MSTRBKR

MSTRBKR New Member

Long story short, I have a 70GB hard drive that has Windows 7 on one half, and the rest is unallocated.

Computer management > Storage is a piece of shit and won't let me extend it. So can anyone suggest a free program that I can use to extend the volume?

If this is not possible, will I see significant performance issues from running programs off the other partition when the first one runs out of space?

2. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

i don't know of any free software, but acronis always does a good job with this kind of software.

3. Swerve

Swerve OT Supporter

4. MSTRBKR

MSTRBKR New Member

I'm on 64 bit Windows 7, I notice that says it is for x86.

I've done a bit of digging and found that in order to extend a volume, the unallocated space needs to be directly to the right in disk management.

A bit of a weird thing happened when I installed 7, it made another partition called 'System Reserve' which is sitting between the C drive and unallocated. Tomorrow I'll try putting in my 7 install disk and using the utility on there to combine the 'System Reserve' with the unallocated space, then I can boot back into windows and use disk management? Does that sound like it would work?

5. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

I am still learning W7, so my answers are only about as half assed as I understand the new OS.

The 'System Reserve' is something that W7 creates itself. My guess (and I don't know this) is it is related to boot up - possibly something to do with its ability to sleep.

Anyways, I wouldn't try to get rid or move that partition, it is needed by the OS.

Are you using W7 Ultimate?
    I have been playing with Ultimate's ability to create disk images of itself.

You COULD (and this isn't the best way) create a disk image to DVD or another hard drive (it supports USB drives for this!), then format the C: drive so you recover all that space and then put that image back on the C: drive.

I am not sure what it will do, if it will repartition to the 70 gig or not. Tough call.

Bottom line: don't fuck with the reserve space. Try one of the proggys someone else mentioned before trying my way.

6. MSTRBKR

MSTRBKR New Member

I was afraid it was of importance. I will try some of the programs.

I have a full retail version to reinstall it and format the whole hard drive, but the install was tempremental. I got 7 Home Premium from Digital River because they are doing deals for students at £30. Only thing is you have to download and then make your own .iso. I think the DVD I used was a bit dodgy so the installer kept failing - this is why I am trying to resize the partition. I could just burn it to another DVD but I won't know if it was a bad DVD until I've formatted this install which is currently working. And I don't want to have to spend another 3 hours or more getting it working again.

The reason I now have 2 partitions is because I installed Vista on one partition and was trying to install 7 from inside that. Apparently you can't install a 64bit OS from inside a 32bit OS (obvious?). I then didn't format the Vista partition before installing 7 so that if it didn't work again, I had an OS to go back to to check email etc...

7. Swerve

Swerve OT Supporter

I found this:

But I've NEVER tried it on a 64bit OS, so I really can't say. I can't think why it would matter, but then...dunno.gif

8. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

64bit OSes are running on the same file systems as their 32bit counterparts.

9. MSTRBKR

MSTRBKR New Member

So the utility that Artificial posted should work?

10. Swerve

Swerve OT Supporter

I think so.

The reason being that the live CD contains it's own Operating System, it doesn't need to use your OS. It just needs to move your OS, using it's own OS to another place on the hard disk.

This picture may help.

[​IMG]

The ntfs will be the windows, ext2 is a Linux OS, so this person must dual boot and run both OS on their machine. Yours will show the NTFS for Windows 7, as possibly a RAW partition, that is the unallocated space.

The drive you want will be the one called 'hda1'.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2009