Extending a wireless network?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by PeteDMeat, Feb 26, 2008.

1. PeteDMeat

PeteDMeat The Knuckleball OT Supporter

Right now I have a Linksys WRT54G router set up on one side of the house.
    I just bought an XBox360 and hooked it up to the tv on the complete opposite side of the house.
    Hooked up the XBox Wifi adapter and it gets no signal.
    I have an open ethernet cable tie in point in the spare bedroom, 15' from the TV location. What's the easiest way to extend the network from here? Can I just tie in another router and make sure there are no IP or other conflicts? Do the wifi range extenders work? Should I just load Tomato or something similar on the router and boost signal strength?
    I just want this shit to work.

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

if you want to game, there is no substitute for a proper cat6.

3. 1999TL

1999TL New Member

Dont boost signal strength...you will get noise. Run cable, or add an access point.

4. Sexual Vanilla

Sexual Vanilla New Member

Like 1999TL said, run a cable or add an access point. Range extenders are shit, by the way...they increase your signal strength but your throughput is reduced to nil.

5. VernonMaxwell

VernonMaxwell The Prince of Wings

The Linksys WRT54G is a crap router. I have always had problems with them. If anything you want to use a cable to run to it.
    If you wanted a different router you should get Netgear WGR614NA.

6. Sexual Vanilla

Sexual Vanilla New Member

Paging Jollyogre

But seriously...upgrading the WRT54G to the DDWRT firmware will solve most, if not all, of your problems.

7. isnbrg9

isnbrg9 When life gives you lemons, just say fuck the lemo

i bought as WAP54G off ebay for $20 and set it up in repeater mode so that a buddy of mine could share his neighbors wireless signal. been working for 9mo with no issues.

8. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Yea, but depending on the version.... DD:WRT did not run well at all on my version 8 WRT54G. I ended up going back to the Linksys firmware.

9. 1999TL

1999TL New Member

V23 did not run well for me. V24 seems to have solved most of the problems. However, either DD-wrt does not handle QoS very well, or the router can not handle the load b/c QoS does not work for me.

I download torrents and my internet still lags. I got tired of trying all kinds of settings and gave up on QoS.

10. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

i love how any time someone asks a question, people start arguing about things that are pretty much unrelated to his question.

pete, can you move the current AP to the center of the house? if not, you should seriously consider running some cat6 cabling. if you are on the first floor and have a basement, you might be able to drop a cable through the floor and run it across the ceiling in the basement then bring it back up on the other side of the house.

11. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

I was running v.24 and couldn't get the wireless working at all. But like I said, I have the v.8 and it only supports the micro build I believe. I had a line on a v.5, but it fell through.

Either way I needed to replace the router I had and didn't have the time to mess with DD:WRT.

Back on topic...

Like said above, can you move the wireless router?

12. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

v4 is the version to have if you want a WRT54G. I would avoid basically every current-gen consumer router. They've found about every way to make them cheaper and less hack-friendly.

That being said, QoS on my WRT54Gv4 running DD::WRT is working fine. however, QoS on my Actiontec M1000 is not, and it's pissing me off. My old GT701W had excellent QoS.

13. DarqueGT

DarqueGT New Member

I had a problem getting signal on my laptops in the bedroom. The router was upstairs on the other side of the house. I moved the router into the attic and now I have an excellent signal. Outside temps are still low, so I have time to figure out a more permanent solution.

14. PeteDMeat

PeteDMeat The Knuckleball OT Supporter

I'm contemplating moving it, but that would require rerouting all the hard lines to the new point or dropping in a switch at the existing location. Plus I'd have to extend a phone line to the new central point for the DSL modem.

The existing router is a V4, so I could update the firmware to DD:WRT or Tomato without any issues.
    I also picked up a V8 while I was out and about which can run DD:WRT Micro. It seems to have crapped out on me already though, as I can't find it anymore wirelessly w/ my laptop. I stil can find it going thru the other router at it's IP address, getting into it's setup screen.

When the existing network cabling was ran a few years back, the basement wasn't drywalled. Now it (mostly) is, making running new lines a PITA, which is why I was trying to avoid it. Should've gone crazier and ran a point to every room like I initially planned.

15. m0nk3y

m0nk3y Not now, chief.

with the original linksys firmware or ddwrt? i had the same problem with the linksys firmware, switched to ddwrt micro, nothing but good results since.

16. mondaynightmike

mondaynightmike New Member

access point or wire

17. awns729

awns729 New Member

i remember doing this for a friend a while ago
    just pick up a wifi router, and set it up for Acesss point configuration, connect it to that cable, and set it up. i had a friend help me cuz i didn't know much about computers then, but im like 90% sure that should solve your problem

18. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

I had a Belkin router for a few years and when I went to setup the Linksys, I was amazed how similar the menus and configs were compared to the DD:WRT version I was trying. The Linksys firmware is doing what I need fine now...