Ext. Firewire HD issues...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Skoles, Oct 3, 2005.

1. Skoles

Skoles Guest

I've noticed a lot of my freezing issues have been stemming from my external FW drive. I have a generic kit w/a Maxtor 120gb drive installed, which also used to be in my PC. I had formatted it to Macs system upon getting my G5 and it's worked fine. I store my music & movies on which I access frequently (music).

The freezing occurs when I go to access the drive in Finder. I'll either double-click it or navigate to it from somewhere else. No warnings or errors pop up & restarting Finder never works. I do a hard-reset and when the desktop comes back up the FW drive isn't there. I'll have to shut it off & turn it back on.

I've run checks on it and it seems to be operating fine. Any ideas as to the cause?

2. Skoles

Skoles Guest

I also notice that it causes issues w/my iPod when updating songs. iTunes will freeze when tranferring even if I'm playing music at the same time.

3. jabbadeznuts

jabbadeznuts ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Sounds like something's wrong with the firewire bus to me....

4. The bug has existed since 10.3.4. Upgrade the firmware or buy a new drive.

5. Skoles

Skoles Guest

I was snooping around & turned off the "put drives to sleep" feature to hopefully aleviate the issue. I'm thinking the drive is spinning down & then not coming back online quick enough when the computer goes to access it, thus causing some issues.

I'll find out.

6. Skoles

Skoles Guest

My G5 was built in June, a week or so before I bought it. It came with 10.4.1 and I would assume the most updated firmware.

And there is the possibility of it being the drive/enclosure.