Expressing Emotion

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by Gibles, Mar 9, 2009.

1. Gibles

Gibles the funny thing about my back is....

It's really hard for me to express emotion and it's starting to effect my relationship with my gf. I want to so bad and I try, but things don't always come out right. Does anyone else have this problem? How can I fix it? I feel that as long as I'm like this, I will never be happy.

2. just_another_on

just_another_on New Member

Well, first, don't blame yourself for it. It takes a lot.

We might need some background info though buddy...

How old are you?
    How Long current relationship?
    Bad previous relationship/break up?

--

Just some questions, as I have more as well, but those would greatly help :).
    ---

Emotions, in general are the hardest things in the world to talk to someone else about. Why? Because they are your true inner feelings. They are how YOU really feel about SOMEONE or SOMETHING. When expressing emotions usually you try NOT to hide how you feel and thats the hard part.

I found when in a relationship and having to talk about things, that sharing my emotions/feelings were hard because, it wasnt what I felt that hurt, it was how my SO might react to how I feel. You have to remember, when you say something that bothers you about someone else, chances are its going to bother that 'someone' else as well. In relationship situations, that other person means ALOT to you, therefore you do all you can NOT to hurt that person.

It could be a sub concious thing or it could just be the fact that you dont know how to truely express yourself.

What is it that bothers you? What do you 'do wrong'? What 'doesnt come out right'?

3. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

How can you fix it? By pushing yourself and opening up.

4. ForgottenSpiral

ForgottenSpiral Hope and Irony OT Supporter

I know I spout "therapy" more than most people think is necessary, but I would wager it could help you a great deal. You would not only get the opportunity to practice expressing yourself while in a safe environment, but you would probably get a better understanding of why you ahve trouble with this in the first place, which would also make it easier.

That being said, ultimately it comes down to trial and error. Expressing yourself badly is almost always preferable than not expressing yourself at all. Keeping in your feelings will not only be a death sentence for your relationship, but will end up doing damage to you as well. Keep at it and it will eventually get easier.

5. Vysion

Vysion New Member

What kind of emotions do you want to express? happyness? sadness? anger?

Are you talking about 'expressing emotions' or talking about 'feelings'? Never "talk about your feelings" with a girl... that is not what real men do. Expressing emotions around her is key though. Women respond positively to emotions. You have to be in control of your emotions though. I'm not talking about crybaby emotions however. No girl wants her man to be meloncholic or depressed. But women respond to happy emotions, and anger (not at them). I'm not talking about violent anger, or being angry at them, but feeling anger when someone tries to wrong you. Expressing controlled anger shows that you're willing to stand up for yourself and your friends and family. It shows that you're not a passive push over.

6. Gibles

current relationship is 5 months
    I was in a 7.5 year relationship that ended two years ago and this is the first gf I've had since then. Call me picky. The long relationship ended due to a few things, not all my fault, but one factor was not expressing myself. I feel like I don't really know how to truly express myself. I usually go with the flow because I care what people think of me when I know deep down I shouldn't let that bother me.

7. Gibles

that's easier said than done

believe me, I'm probably 50% better than I was about it two years ago but it's still an obvious problem

8. Gibles

More expressing emotions than anything. I'm pretty good with expressing controlled anger but it's the expressing happiness that killlllls me. I don't do it. It's really hard to get me really excited about something. I love to do tons of things and everything makes me happy, it's expressing it that's the problem. If I can't convey happiness, why should I expect the people around me to be happy?

9. Teneight

Teneight Guest

are you in any type of medicine or do any type of drugs? sometimes that has an affect on people when it comes to expressing emotion/s