explorer.exe using all the CPU

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by phatpat, Aug 31, 2005.

1. phatpat

phatpat I got.....

Hi,
    I am running Windows XP SP2 and have been having a problem the last couple of days. I want to avoid formatting if possible, so I hope someone can suggest something.

My computer is on most of the time. I had it running for probably 2 weeks straight without a reboot and was running great. Turned it off the day before yesterday because we are having power problems in the house...

Then yesterday when i turned my computer on, if I tried using windows explorer it was lagging like hell. So i had a look at my resources and explorer.exe seemed to be using all the CPU... sits around 90%.
    So i ended task to explorer.exe and all my programs kept running fine.... but of course didnt have a start bar etc... so i ran explorer.exe again and everything was fine.

Turn my computer on again today and it is having the same problem. Sometimes now when i end task to explorer.exe and start it again, it starts using all the CPU again. end task, start it again and its fine for an hour or so. I think the more i use windows explorer, the more I have this problem.

I have done a full scan with updated versions of mcafee and ad aware.

Can anyone suggest anything else?
    Your help would be much appreciated.

2. FusionZ06

FusionZ06 /\__/\__/\__0>

3. mace

mace i don't read

scan for spyware

4. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

seen this a couple of times on sp1 boxes. reboot resolved it in those cases. as stated, check for spyware

5. BoardTracker

BoardTracker BoardTracker Kicks A$$

does it happen all the time? or only when you browse certain folders? If so - do those folders contain partial AVI files?