Explorer crashing in specific folders.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by SugarCoatedSour, Sep 18, 2005.

1. SugarCoatedSour

SugarCoatedSour OT Supporter

Ever since I unzipped a zip file from the temp folder, explorer seems to crash every time I click on a certain shortcut within that folder.

This seems to only happen in two locations, and it only began after I unzipped this folder. It has happened on two other occasions, but I can't quite remember how the problem was fixed--if it was fixed at all.

Has anyone else encountered this problem? If so, what would be my best solution to fix it.

Right now I'm running on Windows XP Pro SP2 with the Neowin UXTheme.dll hack for visual styles. Not sure if that's important or not, but I thought I'd post that info up.

Many thanks in advance :)

2. Yep

Yep Knick knack paddy whack, give the old dog a bone

I've had video codecs cause this. The Ace medga codecs pack would do it.

3. tony

tony Guest

Explorer will crash if there is a file with an erroneous character ( i.e. ? * > < / \ etc) in a filename within the folder you are entering. Sometimes a zip file can be created on an operating system that supports them, and windows will still let them be extracted.

You might be able to delete the folder that it is in, or delete the file using a wildcard in command prompt.