Explorer crash

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Seeker, Jan 3, 2004.

1. Seeker

Seeker Guest

There's a folder on my computer that I used to store all the files from one of my classes last semester. When I try to access the folder now though, it crashes explorer. Is there any way to stop this from happening?

IBM T40
    Windows XP Pro

2. Seeker

Seeker Guest

Self-bump. (only once)

3. Mugatu

Mugatu Ask me about market research. OT Supporter

Hmm, I have had this problem (very rarely though) and I have no idea what really causes it but I usually find (mostly through trial and error) that a single file or directory in that folder has something wrong with it - once erased it seems to go better.

Oh, another thing that I have seen cause this is the view you have in explorer (ie. thumbnail, icons, details, etc.) - again I have no idea why but viewing some folders crashes explorer - if I change the view to the simplest one (I think it's list) then that often fixes the problem (this seems to be a problem with folders that have tons of files in them (not in subdirectories but all in the same folder).

Good luck.

Also, check for spyware, trojans, extraneous processes, viruses, defrag, etc. as usual with weird problems like this.