Explaining Speed Relativity

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Boogieman117, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Boogieman117

Boogieman117 PSN: Boogieman117

I need to explain network relativity to a bunch of staff members. They all have B.S.'s in library services, but the majority don't know a lick about computer networking.

Backstory:

I am a lowly technician at a county library system. Our 'main' branch has a Comcast connection that is 200 Mbps up/down shared, halted by a 20Mbps filter. (We never go above 12Mbps in traffic, so it's not an issue). We have about 75 public/staff machines at the 'main' and typically don't feel a lot of bandwidth problems.

We have three other 'satellite' branches using a Comcast cable modem + VPN connections to the 'main'. They are running at about 10 Mbps down/2 Mbps up. They have about 20 public/staff machines at each 'satellite' branch.

I need to be able to explain "bottlenecking" to them; that when the public isn't there, the bandwidth isn't used as much, whereas when school lets out and the kids are on social networking sites or uploading (when there is heavy bandwidth use) that the bandwidth is getting stressed.

Speedtest.net is a good example of the speeds they run at (the who/what/where/when), but I want to be able to explain why it works the way it does (how).

I was thinking of some sort of traffic-based metaphors, but can't explain it in a way that would make sense to them. More aggravating, i've been asked to try and put this explanation in a PowerPoint presentation.

Any ideas?

Boogieman117 :wavey2:

2. narcisis

narcisis Active Member

Sounds like you explained it pretty well with that. Who couldn't understand that?

3. narcisis

narcisis Active Member

Are they fat? Be like, when there's lots of kids here its like stuffing your face with McDonalds. There's no bandwidth for blood.

4. Boogieman117

:eek3: I really like that. :bowdown:

5. Boogieman117

the staff I work with.

6. FormulaLS1

FormulaLS1 Member

If you need a simple example just draw up an example using roads and traffic coming from secondary roads to the highway etc...multiple lane roads = bigger connection and so on.

Should be straight forward and everyone hates sitting in traffic so they can relate.