A&P explain the spectrum of Nikon flashes

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Darren, Jan 12, 2010.

1. Darren

Darren DSLR/Photography/Mac Crew

I did a search on flashes and the info is a little spread out and vague for what I'm trying to figure out.

I'm looking at buying my first external flash and I've read up on equipment, so I have an idea of gear I am going to buy (umbrellas, stands, brackets, so forth) but I haven't quite wrapped my head around the difference between low end and high end flashes.

I was reading about manual flashes like the SB24/SB26 etc and then more expensive flashes like SB600/900 etc. What is the main difference? What can the 600s do that the 24/26s can't do? I have a basic understanding of how flashes are used, but terms like commander and multiple flash setups start to confuse me.

I need help!

2. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

mostly visible light.

3. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

I'm pretty sure the sb24 and 26 are comparable to the 600/800... IIRC, the SB-80dx is still the strongest flash Nikon's made, even over the 900...

The difference is in the i-TTL data and the ability to be used off camera with Nikon Creative lighting system...

Neither the SB24 or 26 will work with Nikon's i-TTL, which means you're shooting in full manual mode all the time. That blows. The sb600 and 800 were the first flashes that worked, and the first series of Nikon digital bodies were the d50/d70/d2x series... So if you have a digital body newer than those, and you want the camera to use TTL mode, you need an sb600 or newer.

If your camera has the ability to be a commander, you'll also want a sb600 or better, because you will then have the built in ability to use your flash off camera, IN TTL MODE. It's really fucking nice. One of the real reasons to buy Nikon, IMO.

4. asdfbunk

asdfbunk A Member OT Supporter

:rofl: was waiting for this

5. TheManLouisianaFace

TheManLouisianaFace and decide!

/thread

6. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

if only.

7. Darren

Darren DSLR/Photography/Mac Crew

Thanks. This is what I was looking for. :bigthumb: