Explain Remote Desktop Connect to me

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Contemptor, Apr 12, 2005.

1. Contemptor

Contemptor OT Supporter

I was under the assumption that someone at another location, like my friend at his house, could access my computer with RDC. Is this true, or is it only on networks? If it is, how could I set it so that while I am at my friends house, I can connect to my computer at home?

2. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Yes, someone can connect to your machine through the same network or over the Internet. All you need to do is forward port 3389 on your router to the internal IP of the machine you want to connect to. On the machine your want to connect to, right click on My Computer -> Properties -> Remote and make sure it's turned on (not by default)

The person trying to connect will need the Remote Desktop Client, your outside IP and your user/pass.

Check out www.dslwebserver.com and click on the step by step link on the left for a pretty good guide on setting it up.

3. zabuni

zabuni New Member

1. Both have to be on the Internet.
    2. The computer that you wish to connect to must have the RDC server running.
    3. You need to know the IP address of this computer.
    4. Then you can connect to the computer. It will not be as responsive sitting in front of the keyboard, but it will allow you to input commands, run programs, etc.

4. Contemptor

Contemptor OT Supporter

The computer I want to connect to is on a network. Do I put in it's actual IP address, like whatismyip.com would give me? And I need to download this server/client on the computer I'm connecting to, or does it have it already?

(Last question and I'll read that site for the rest if i can't figure it out)

5. Javi

Javi New Member

If it's on the network, just do a RUN -> cmd -> ipconfig, there's your IP address. Make sure you have an account on the computer you're remoting to. XP by default already has the client.

6. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

If you are connecting to a computer over the Internet, you will need to enter the ouside IP like from whatismyip.com. If you are just going though a network, then you just need the internal IP (ipconfig)

Windows XP has RDC built in. You have to make sure that the computer you are connecting to has it turned on. If the client machine doesn't have XP, you can download the client for it.

7. Contemptor

Contemptor OT Supporter

They are both xp. How do I set the computer I am connecting to from my friends house to automatically accept an invitation?

8. Juvenall

Juvenall What Would Juvie Do?

On the XP Pro system you want to connect to:

1) Go to Start
    2) Right Click on "My Computer"
    3) Click on "Properties" in the menu
    4) Click on the tab titled "Remote"
    5) Check the box "Allow users to connect remotely to this computer"
    6) Hit OK.

That's it. In order to connect though, you'll need to punch a hole in whatever Firewall (such as ZoneAlarm, McAfee, Norton, etc) you're running. You'll need to accept remote trafic to port 3389 and, if you have one, set your router to direct trafic to the target system. Other than that, you'll need to have your XP login name set up with a password or Windows won't let anyone connect (for security).

On the client side, they just need to know your IP address (and port number depending on your setup). They can fire up the Remote Desktop program under Start > Accessories > Communications.

That should be everything. Forgive me if I missed something, it's almost 4am and I'm tired as hell..lol

9. negative zero

negative zero New Member

I've got Remote Desktop set up at home on a network. I can connect to my file server with no problems.
    So, on order for me to connect to it from an outside location I have to make that machine have a password?
    I tried to have a password when I first set it up but I could never log on to the pc when I reboot it. Mainly because it's in a closet with no monitor/keyboard/mouse.
    Any way around that or is Remote Desktop suppose to show you the login screen before the desktop is actually displayed?

10. negative zero

negative zero New Member

OK, nevermind, I got it. I connected to my main pc (via pcanywhere) forwarded port 3389. I can now connect to my file server through Remote Desktop.
    It does ask a username/password for access though. I just don't have a username/password required when rebooting the system.

I'll test it out and see if RD is faster than PCAnywhere.

11. Juvenall

Juvenall What Would Juvie Do?

In my own tests, I found the native Remote Desktop to be as fast, if not faster than everything else. Other then any automation features a 3rd party program may have (such as file backups), I can't really see a reason to use anything.

As a note though, if you are going to open your NETWORK up and allow for open connections to your internal systems, you will want as many passwords as you can. A very, very simple port scan on your IP address will show RDP port open and it's just asking for someone to try to get in.

Also, never, never, NEVER allow remote connections to accounts with admin privileges. You'd be better off just giving your system to a stranger.