Explain RAM to me

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Rommel, Dec 24, 2002.

1. Rommel

Rommel friends forever

i am thinking of getting some more ram for my new mobo ASUS P48SX

i have got 256 of PC 2100 but i was reading the reviews of my mobo and i am just getting confused

i see PC 233, PC266,PC333 etc

then i see PC2100, PC2700 and then PC???

can someone explain the conventions behind it and how much of a difference it will make to system performance for gaming etc

2. Rommel

Rommel friends forever

errr..............hello!!

*listens as echo of desperate plea bounces around the cavernous dwelling of OT

3. panik

panik Guest

DDR 266 is PC2100
    DDR 333 is PC2700 (about 10% to 15% percent faster) ED: you wouldn't really notice the difference.

4. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

I'm not sure, but I think the RAM will run at the slowest speed of all the sticks you have in there. So if you have PC2100 and PC2700 it will all run at the PC2100 speed, so you will see no benifit except for the additional RAM.

Somebody please tell me if I am wrong here.

5. Dommi

Dommi Guest

not really, ram can be overclocked
    first you have to realize that DDR means double data rate. so the front side bus is going to be half the true bandwidth.
    IE, the info in DDR ram carrys on the rising and falling edge of the electrical wave, when in plain jane sdram it travels on the rising edge.

So if you have a 166 MHZ front side bus, and you are using ram that is clocked at 133, the ram will run at the rate of the fsb, but how reliably, you dont know until you benchmark it