LGBT Explain Lesbians to Me

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by SpicyMcVoodoo, Dec 3, 2004.

1. SpicyMcVoodoo

SpicyMcVoodoo New Member

[​IMG]

Why do we so often see the "woman" lesbian with the "man" lesbian? I thought the entire point of being a lesbian was that you could have two women, not one man and one woman. Why do lesbians insist one fitting into the man/woman paradigm, even in their woman/woman relationships?

2. SantorinA4

SantorinA4 New Member

No clue. In my relationship we are both the woman. No manly shit here. :dunno:

3. marxwa99

marxwa99 Boom Squad

i'm sorry, but although i am not a lesbian, i sorta take offense to this. Well, maybe not offense. I dont know what to call it :)

Why do a lot of men take on the man/woman paradigm as well? There are couples i've seen where one takes on a more masculine role, and the other, a more feminine role. To keep this from becoming a long post, does it really matter?

Let's not go back thirty years to the times where our lesbian sisters (I know im sounding like a total nut calling them that but let me explain...) were not allowed a spot in the gay rights movement. They were considered inferior to gay men from what i understand in terms of leadership ability. In short, the stereotypes towards women in the "mainstream" were being transferred over to the gay culture. The wake up call was in the 1980s when the AIDS epidemic began. There are a lot of gay men and women who believe that if it weren't for their "lesbian sisters," gay men would have never survived through the 80s.

All in all, who cares how people make themselves look when they are in love. If we want compassion, we have to learn to be compassionate to one another. I don't believe lesbians insist on following the man/woman paradigm, they might just happen to in the process of finding someone to love.

Well i ended up making this a long post and sorry if i sound hardcore activist like, but I'm just very strong in my opinions nowadays. I used to have a thing against lesbians and i don't know why. I just didn't see their relationships as normal and for that, i wasted many opportunities where i could have gotten to know a lot of nice girls who could have been a wealth of social support.

In closing, can't we all just get along!?

P.S. I still <3 you spicy, hopefully i don't sound like a complete ass!

4. SantorinA4

SantorinA4 New Member

Good post marxwa99. I think that's the same in any relationship. It's just who you fall in love with. :)

5. SpicyMcVoodoo

SpicyMcVoodoo New Member

No, you don't sound like an ass. I simply am trying to understand what seems like a common quirk of lesbianism.

I'm about to get controversial here, but hey, what the fuck?

I remember Malcolm X came to see black people straightening their hair as sort of pathetic. He saw it as an attempt to emulate the white man, which necessarily entailed being ashamed of being black. This sort of reminds me of what man/woman lesbians are doing. Are they trying to pass for heteros from a far off glance? Are they trying to emulate a heterosexual couple even though they're homosexual?

It seems like if they're proud to be lesbians, then they should stop trying to even resemble a man/woman couple.

I know many people will say that I'm imposing my view of man/woman on them, and really, they're just doing their thing, and I can call it whatever I want to. But come on. It takes effort for one to get up and wair tuxido, and have her hair cut into a flat top every 2 weeks, while the other is decked out in femme makeup and a dress. This just seems like a blatant, concerted effort to create man/woman roles.

6. NOVAJock

NOVAJock Modded & Underrated

The comments in this thread are kind of interesting. In my opinion, I think it all depends on who you are inside and what you feel like. If you feel butch inside, it will emulate outward. If you feel light in your loafers and lisp enough to create your own snake-pit, then that's probably who you truly are.

There are of course, the ones that do this sort of thing for show and tend to be over the top, but I'm willing to bet that the majority, is just being who they truly are. :o

7. BlondieAMC

BlondieAMC New Member

SpicyMcVoodoo- Watch "If These Walls Could Talk 2"! Watch it with an open mind and then see what you think.

8. SpicyMcVoodoo

SpicyMcVoodoo New Member

uhhh, realistically, that's not gonna happen. so how about cliffs?:o

9. CoCo

CoCo ...is a Queer Don!! OT Supporter

Interesting thread. I think I'll lurk...:hsugh:

10. Jobe

Jobe keke ^_^

:o you already posted so your lurking has been nullified

11. CoCo

CoCo ...is a Queer Don!! OT Supporter

...starting now! :mamoru:

12. cedric

cedric I don't have a contract

It's an interesting phenomenon :)dunno: if that's the appropriate word) to me. The way I figure it, there's a broad spectrum of homosexuality regarding gender roles. Men who should've been born women to really masculine guys, and women who should've been born men to really feminine girls. When the two mix within a gay couple, for all intents and purposes it takes the outward appearance of a gay couple trying to mimic a straight couple. I can't put my finger on it, but I don't think it's nearly that simple.

I mean, I understand people of one gender who really should've been born the opposite sex for one reason or another. That makes perfect sense to me as does their inherent homosexuality. What I can't totally understand is how the feminine girl or the masculine guy figures into the equation. You'd figure it'd be two butch girls or two feminine guys together. It never seems to work like that though, especially amongst lesbian couples. In my high school there were a few girls on the softball team (I know, it's cliche) who were really butch but they had these really beautiful girlfriends. It really threw me for a loop.

The best I can make of it is that there's no real answer to this, everybody has their preferences and you love who you love.

13. RedGoober4Life

RedGoober4Life New Member

Oh the man hating ones are the worstedes they're like "DIE MAN DIE BECAUSE YOU ARE A MAN YOU ARE OUT TO GET ME DIEEEE!@!!!!!!" and then there are gay guys that hate woman "YOU SO STOOPID CAUSE YOU A WOMAN YOU STUPID WOMAN!!!" these people scare me :wtc:

14. coma

coma New Member

The "man" lesbian with a woman lez is just an ugly stereotype -- just like the lisping limp-wristed faggot is. People focus on the most egregious examples (like your pic) but that obscures the reality that most lesbians and gays are mainstream and not on the flamming fringe. I mean honestly, I highly doubt that the woman lesbian is fantasyizing that her man girlfriend has a cock when she'd doing the dirty with her.

15. red^star

red^star Guest

:eek3:

are you hot? :eek3:

:mamoru:

16. red^star

red^star Guest

I'm not attracted to dykes at all.

They turn me off.

17. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

Word.

18. Cured

Cured Guest

You know, the hyper butch lesbians are a lot more common, in my experience, than the hyper effeminate gay guy.

One theory I have of why people force themselves into stereotypes is to be more easily identified with the minority they're in. It's almost as if people are choosing to act like fags or bulldykes because they want to be noticed, not necessarily by heteros, but by other lesbians so they can be sought out.

19. marxwa99

marxwa99 Boom Squad

hey havent checked ot in awhile cause of take home finals. Heres something i'm sorta interested in researchin but i have no idea how it could be done. I put it out on the table because it is related to gender roles which seems to be of very much relevance in this post. If one of the mods feel it should be its own thread, then feel free to do your modding...err.. modifying..

So society has cultivated this belief that a child needs a father figure and a mother figure. But could this need for fatherly and motherly figures be instinctive? So what happens to children of same sex couples? This culminates to my research question: Do children of same sex couples feel a subconscious need to give their parents gender labels for the sakes of fulfilling this possibly instinctive need for a mother and father figure? Will a child label one man or woman as the father figure, and the other as the mother? I dont mean they'll call one daddy and one mommy, but more look at each parental figure in distinctive manners?

20. SantorinA4

SantorinA4 New Member

:eek3:

Um...I dunno. Maybe. :naughty:

21. BlondieAMC

BlondieAMC New Member

well then realistically i can't give you cliffs for it....cliffs don't do the movie justice.

22. SantorinA4

SantorinA4 New Member

:bowdown:

23. BlondieAMC

BlondieAMC New Member

hey where did your angelina avatar go..that was my joy from time to time looking at it!!

Which by the way..i saw "Alexander" have you seen that movie yet??

24. Kyla

Kyla Guest

being a lesbian myself.. i take that to offence too, it's a stereotype. my girlfriend and I are both really girly, and most other lesbians i know are all girly too. ya I know some lesbians that aren't so girly, but i also know some straight girls that aren't so girly

25. SantorinA4

SantorinA4 New Member

I wanted some girly action in my AV and Angelina just didn't make out with any. Well, I guess she did in Gia, but I didn't like the other girl so much.

Haven't seen it yet, but plan too. :)