A&P Explain color spaces/modes to me =)

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by TtamNedlog, Jun 12, 2007.

1. TtamNedlog

TtamNedlog OT Supporter

Well I've read a bit about color spaces, modes, and all that stuff and I'm quite confused. In general I've gathered that sRGB looks better on monitors, and AdobeRGB looks better on print.

But I've yet to see any comparison photos. And reading Thom's D80 guide further confused me, cuz he said setting the color space/mode on the D80 doesn't actually do anything different to the picture. So why's it even an option on the camera?

And can I convert between the two? In general, I only want my pictures for monitor viewing but I might get the itch to print one out some day on my Canon Pixma ip5200. Does that mean it can't look good on both my printed pic and my monitor? :noes: I doubt I'll be thinking prior to taking a pic, "alright, this next pic I'm gonna print out so I'll set camera to AdobeRGB...".

CMYK has me even more confused. =(

2. crazybenf

crazybenf Active Member

3. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

Answers:

Thom says the colorspace doesn't do anything because he's shooting RAW.

If you're shooting RAW, your colorspace doesn't matter. You define it when you bring the photo over to photoshop from whatever RAW editor you're working in.

It will change things if you're shooting in jpg.

Your printer can be set to accept either sRGB or Adobe as well. Most places you send your printers are going to be set to sRGB, as that is the standard for monitor and web, which is what most consumers are doing most of the time...

However, if you're going to be printing yourself, Adobe is advantageous, because it does have a larger color gamut, and therefore can display finer detail.

I shoot in RAW, and have my printer profiles set to the Adobe colorspace. I also post process my shots for print, not web, and while they look great in Adobe RGB PSD files, and fantastic on paper, I'll be the first to admit that they don't look the best when I convert them to web colorspace and view them through a browser...

4. TtamNedlog

TtamNedlog OT Supporter

Interesting Jared. Do you have 2 pics you could post for comparison?

5. CornUponCob

CornUponCob New Member