Experiences with NuvaRing?

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by Vanilla Tarantino, Apr 11, 2008.

1. Vanilla Tarantino

Vanilla Tarantino OT Supporter

So my g/f went to the gyno today and, long story short, she ended up with a prescription for the NuvaRing. I only know the basics about this form of b/c - in for 3 weeks, out for 1, >99% effective, low-dose of hormones. Beyond that, I don't really know a whole lot about it. Now, the g/f got all the information and has read up on it, but I'm looking for some personal experiences. Supposedly the risks of side effects (alterations of mood, breakthrough bleeding, headache, etc) are lower for the Ring than for the pill. Still, if any girls here are on/have been on the Ring or any guys had girlfriends using it, could you please share your experiences? I'm looking more in terms of side effects experienced, did it get in the way during sex, etc., or any other information that may be useful.

*edit* Updates in posts 28 (4/23), 31 (4/27), 39 (5/11), and 45 (5/18).

Last edited: May 18, 2008
  2. Smorgan

Smorgan New Member

As an ex-boyfriend of a girl who used it, I never noticed it during sex. She didn't really get any of the side effects, so for that I can't comment.

Otherwise, I can't comment much, she wasn't on it long enough to really be able to tell you anything more.

3. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

4. Vanilla Tarantino

5. iwishyouwerebeer

No worries. I just remembered those two especially. I figured I'd post them because usually the same girls are on the same BC and don't feel like answering all the time. But I'll keep it open in case any of them have any more input.

6. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

its wierd and falls out alot when i nailed my chick with it in ....

7. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

My gf is on it. It's come out once or twice during sex.

It's more convenient than the pill because if you throw up you don't lose your last dose.

We think it's causing her to have some emo moments, tho.

8. Elphaba

Elphaba New Member

Yeah, too bad we cant have a listing of all the Vag girls and what bc they're on if anyone wants to ask for opinions...this would make it lots easier. Every time I see a thread on "the shot" I think...ok, here we go again and then start looking for my last post on it so I can copy/paste.

9. halflife78

halflife78 OT Supporter

Wife was on it and it worked great the first year, later on though the levels of whatever in it started giving her terrible headaches right after a new one was put in.

Other than that was the best thing she had ever used.

10. Jay487

Jay487 What's Life If You Ain't Enjoyin' It?

Im sorry, call me retarded, but how can you have something inside a girl and and it doesnt get in the way during sex?

11. lauren

lauren Active Member

she a smoker? aren't you more prone to clots on that and the patch than the pill?

12. iwishyouwerebeer

It gets pushed waaayyyy up :)

13. lauren

lauren Active Member

same with diaphragms and sponges, and god knows what else. it's a squishy hole...there's room for a little give.

14. Vanilla Tarantino

That's a concern...some reports say they can be felt, others say it can't. I'm just wondering how long it'll take before I come out looking like I played a game of ring toss. :o You can take it out for up to 3 hours at a time as well....but that doesn't fully make sense to me. You can supposedly take it out for sex as long as you put it back in within 3 hours...but what if you have sex 3 times in a day? How much is the effectiveness going to be reduced? How long does it need to be in before it can be taken out again? I know if you leave it out for MORE than 3 hours, it needs to be in for a week before it's effective.

15. Vanilla Tarantino

She's not a smoker. Blood clots are one side effect I've found that I'm worried about :sad2:

Plus there's no telling how she's going to react to the hormones - she's never been on hormonal BC before. She doesn't trust herself to take a pill every day though, so the gyno suggested this as an alternative.

16. Jay487

But yet, you can reach it with your fingers? Yet more confusion! :hyper:

I can build you a computer but these vaginas, they are magnificent and complicated machines.

17. Elphaba

Elphaba New Member

You know, I go back and forth between "Wow, its really great that guys ask so many questions about this kind of stuff - its cool that they're at least curious" and "They really shouldnt even try to understand - its too hard to explain, they'll just freak out/over think things and get grossed out."

18. Jay487

:rofl: Trust me, you can't gross me out, but I don't have a vagina. The thought of some of this fascinates me. :dunno:

19. Vanilla Tarantino

The vagina is only maybe 4 inches deep in an unaroused state, and it won't go farther than the cervix. The gyno also said he's not worried about it moving at all with my g/f since he had to spend 10 minutes to find the extra small tools for her... :o Which makes me think it's more likely that I'll get stabbed in the pee-hole by a plastic ring.

That's the least of my worries though - more worried about side effects she might experience. Unfortunately, reading lots of forums online, people go in search of them when they're having those side effects and post about them. Thus, you don't hear about the women that really like the device...I was hoping some of the gals in here might have used it/continue to use it and could share their experiences. *edit* or that guys would have g/fs on the device and able to share those experiences.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2008
  20. Dahlia

Dahlia Active Member

I have been on regular birth control pills since i was about 16.. and in feb. i decided to get on the nuvaring because i usually have issues remembering to take the pills daily.

It has slipped out during sex, but you just wash it off and put it back in afterwards, and its only happened about 3 times out of very many. My guy says he can feel it with his fingers, but he cant or doesnt notice it when we're having sex.

I loved it actually... except for one part, I use birth control that has the same hormone level throughout the whole time because I skip my periods for a few months at a time. I was told I would be fine doing this for the nuva ring.

I was sadly mistaken. I went to put in a new ring, and something got all messed up for some reason and I got my period for almost two weeks.. and it still isnt totally gone. I am going back to planned parenthood tomorrow to switch back over to the regular pills because i have never had a problem.

To be fair, it says that you can have problems like that or spotting and whatnot for a few months after you start it. I figured I'd be fine because I had been on the pill with absolutely no complications for years. So it def put a damper on my sex life being stuck with this problem for a long time. and I am not willing to wait it out and hope it gets better.

And it shouldn't slip out very easily, it sits behind your pubic bone, and its a squishy like ring, so it will not "stab" your dick. and its not very likely to get stuck around your dick, since it doesn't sit like that in her vagina. and i wouldnt take it out if you dont need to, i left it in without problems during sex unless it was one of the rare times it fell out, then i just fished it out of the covers, washed it off and stuck it back in.

21. Jay487

what do you mean behind the pubic bone?

A girl I hooked up with once said "im glad your dick isnt curved like my ex bf's because it hit pubic bone weired" - if pubic bone is not the cervix then what exactly did she mean? What else is there to hit :dunno:

22. Elphaba

Elphaba New Member

23. Jay487

where in that picture is the pubic bone? :o I always thought it was on the front, like that yellow circle to the left in the diagram. But with the comment I posed above about what a girl said to me once has me :confused:

24. Dahlia

Dahlia Active Member

...didn't you take anatomy or a science class? lol

umm.. guys should have it too, i guess when you are with your girl next time, if you press right above her vagina, you should be able to feel a bone there. and it kinda bumps out into the vagina inside, and the ring will sit above that.

25. Elphaba

Elphaba New Member

yes, I think the pubic bone is indicated on that diagram by the yellowish circle in front. I think part of the problems we're having here are with the terms "behind" and "above". In this case the ring is "behind" the pubic bone - as in, to the posterior (towards her butt) and "above" it as in more towards her head. Does that make more sense?