Expanding Switch (for you networking types)

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by aim2kill, Apr 29, 2008.

1. aim2kill

aim2kill New Member

OK, without delving into too many tech specs of the backround, I am running a network, but my shop anwsers to a higher, from another 'company' perse. Now, my shop draws diffrent funding, and it clashes, the 'Higher' company requires a certain class of switches on the network, and we are attempting to expand a certain switch.

The problem inlays that our 'higher' wants a higher model switch than we have/can get, but they will allow us to use our current model, but we are not allowed to expand (WTF right?)
    now, of these old models, we have several spares, but we are trying to expand a certain switch because of its port availability, but, here is where we hit the real problem
    the network is controlled by 'higher' and they add items by MAC address, so we cannot add one of our current switches due to its being 'ouf of date' for their network, they wont allow expansion. SO....

i know some buddy's back in the day who took a 50 dollar Dlink, soldered in some RAM and modded it into like a 20 port switch, so i had some simialiar thinking......is there a way to configure this beast....

end goal:
    we need 1 switch to expand another, but be seen by the parent as just one MAC address.

Switch Model:
    Catalyst 2950 Series

Cliffs;
    cant get new switch, cant add switch, but need expansion

if you can help 'me luv you long time..':x:

2. lukin87

lukin87 New Member

man. that post makes very little sense.

but from what i gathered. you have one switch that has all ports taken and you want to have more ports on the same switch.

Well, that hardware hacking shit you are talking about is a very bad idea. You're talking about prying into equipment worth a couple of gs and sticky taping a couple more ethernet ports and a stick of ram on there... thats not how it works.

Anyways, the WS-C2950 series are stackable switches. If you look on the back of your switch you'll see two "stack" ports. By using stack cables you can create a mesh with a second 2950 which will esencially give you two switches behaving as one.

But the chances are you wont know how to configure it.

3. christopher92

christopher92 I Nuke Gay Whales For Jesus

:rofl:

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

no switch for home?

5. aim2kill

aim2kill New Member

i have very limited experience in switches, it was a generic class and it was simple tlenet, but im always open to learn :dunno:

our biggest problem is we must have it be seen as the origional MAC, and as far as a couple Gs worth of switches, i know. dumb, but our orginization anwsers to a higher, and higher wont give us the 'right switch' for the network, nor will our unit do it, so all the switches we have are worthless perse'

hence why im ver angry.

stupid morans.

6. aim2kill

aim2kill New Member

Your so much more capable.

"how do i delete profiles off this computer"
    ^ i'll never forget :bowrofl:

7. christopher92

:ugh2:

Well first of all i didnt say i was, and second of all, i have an excuse, doing this for like only 8 months Nut Sak, unlike you who has been doing this like 10 years, and you still cant figure half this shit out.so the :rofl::rofl: are on you broski......

8. GOGZILLA

GOGZILLA Double-Uranium Member

CRIPPLE FIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!

9. christopher92

:ugh2: ok

We can Cripple Fight if we want Ass Clown.. We work together

:fawk: