expanding storage on laptop

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by TekniX, May 9, 2003.

1. TekniX

TekniX Active Member OT Supporter

Feb 9, 2002
    my sister has been bitching that her laptops hard disk is too small (30g), replacing it with like an 80 gig would cost mad money.
    what are my options?
    i was thinking this:
    Desktop FireWire and USB 1.1 / 2.0 Storage (to 250GB and beyond)
    Supports ATA6 drives and classic ATA5 drives!
    Uses the industry leading Oxford OXFW911 FireWire bridge. Plug and play on all recent Operating Systems with out drivers!
    Internal cable from bridge to drive is high speed (intergrounded) for highest quality connection to drive.
    Fanless -- best drive on the planet for multimedia users.
    Aluminum enclosure dissipates heat readily and provides excellent EMI protection.
    Available capacities include: 80GB, 120GB, 180GB, 200GB, 250GB. All are 7200RPM!
    Plug and play without drivers under Windows 98SE, ME, 2K, XP, Mac OS9.1, 9.2, OSX. Bootable on the Mac!
    A 0GB user configurable version is also available. (Install your own drive to 250GB and beyond in the enclosure.)
    For Plug and Play connectivity to virtually any computer platform.
    Easily supports digital video editing.
    Easily supports DigiDesign ProTools audio editing.
    International power supply (100-240VAC) included.
    Each unit includes MacDrive 5 cross platform compatibility software at no additional charge, a $59.95 value!
    0GB unit (user configurable 0-250GB): $139.95. In stock.
    Since i can just put a regular ata hard disk in there, it would cost way less than replacing the lapys current one, and firewire does not seem like a bad idea.

this is for a fujitsu C series laptop.
    what do you all suggest?
  2. TurboDerek

TurboDerek My favorite meal is horsemeat and rice.

Jul 13, 2001
    The question is does she really need a larger drive? The teachers at my job are always telling me they need a bigger harddrive but are only using like 5G out of 20G.
  3. Marcos

Marcos New Member OT Supporter

Sep 24, 2002
    Unless she does music/movie editing, 30gb should be more than enough :confused:.

I want to upgrade my drive, but for quiter noise levels not capacity.

She should consider an external usb cd-writer too,
  4. JazzHound

JazzHound Guest

I have a 20GB version of the C series. Get her a USB enclosure and she can add either 2'5 or 3'5 hdd's. That or an external burner as mentioned.

I bet she's one of those types who don't ever backup the information. She'll be delirious when that harddrive dies.