TAT Expanding on the idea for my next tattoo

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by KungFool7, Oct 4, 2005.

1. KungFool7

KungFool7 keep driving—it's getting earlier

So, for my 4th tattoo, i decided i want to get "mater memento mori" tattooed on my arm. I visited a few sites to verify the meaning, but i'm still nervous in that regard...so anyone here speak latin?

I don't speak latin, i just like the it sounds, and i also like people can't just glance at it and know what it means. Just like i tell them for my other tattoo with latin in it, if they care enough, they can go look it up.

So, on to the question:

I'm going to be getting it down my right forarm, on the outside bone. I don't have huge arms, but it wouldn't say i'm a T-rex either. I only get black/greyscale tattoos and won't do color. I love celtic artwork, my familiy has fairly strong celtic roots, and i've been reading a book or two on celtic art, lifestyles, beliefs etc. I would really like to be able to incorporate something else into this tattoo, but i'll be damned if i can think of anything else to put on it.

Any ideas?

2. Improvolone

Improvolone New Member

Remember that your mother is mortal?

3. IreLynx

IreLynx New Member

4. KungFool7

Which is what i've come to understand as the meaning, too. I just wanted to be sure, because you never know with the internet. ;)

5. Improvolone

Improvolone New Member

memento = remember
    mori = mortality
    mater = mother
    ?

6. IreLynx

IreLynx New Member

I think the literal translation for "mater" depends on where you place it in a sentence in regards to the words around it and their meanings.

This page mentions "mater" (alone) as mother, but in the context of the phrase "mater memento mori" it translates to "remember your mortality".

http://www.yuni.com/library/latin_4.html

If you were to just say "memento mori" then you would be saying "remember that you must die". The meaning of a single word changes depending upon what words it is used in conjunction with. :)

7. KungFool7

Besides the ideas, that's the reason i posted this.

Just like spanish, if you try and translate something from one language word for word, it doesn't sound right.

Like translating Yo tengo gato negro from spanish wouldn't sound right word for word in english.

So, i was hoping someone here has taken latin.