exhange users i can has question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by DigiCrime, Jan 20, 2009.

1. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

Is there any real purpose to having it if you have an external mta already? I'm finding a lot of clients use exchange but they already have external mta with their ISP where the domain is hosted like exim for example. So when exchange crashes their completely lost unless they change their outlook settings to point to the IP of the external server. I think one client uses it mostly for the calendar and contacts but others I havent the slightest idea why.

2. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

I can count the number of times our exchange server crashed on one finger in 3 years - and I wouldn't even need to use it.

Exchange is much more than a mail client and is designed for a corporate environment where meetings, contacts, calendars can all be shared. The fact that you can set it up to work inside and outside of the network is a bonus.

I'm not really sure what your question really is though - it's like you're saying why get a gmail account when your hotmail one works just fine.

3. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

Pretty much it right there. I realize what its for but I am reading into it to much I guess. Majority of businesses around here all have an external mta. Like somebusinessname.com is hosted with jaguarpc.com or google.com it's on a shared server not dedicated. They use this for email but they also have this routed thru exchange as well.

Point being is that I had an exchange server crash here last week and the customer was without email but I told them they can use their external email. Rather than using intranet, use the internet. They already had email setup but they were using exchange to... thought what was the point of exchange?

4. 5Gen_Prelude

It is - some people setup a link to an outside provider. I don't see the point - well I guess it is good for spam filtering I suppose, I prefer to do everything inhouse, so much more control.

5. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

They weren't happy about it after they found out they can do this actually. I had two clients in the past six months both their exchange servers have crashed and they realize now the money they could have saved using the external mta over internal. Granite interoffice emailing was quicker and was always there even if the external mta wasn't working properly but after they realized the money they could have saved... they felt insulted or something. :dunno:

6. 5Gen_Prelude

Well if all you're going to use Exchange for is email then, yeah, it's not worth it.