Exercises to strengthen knee

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by DAN513, Aug 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

I had a lateral dislocation of my knee about 6 years ago and it still hurts when I do something that requires changing direction rapidly (ultimate frisbee). It doesn't hurt a lot, but enough that it bothers me. I spoke to one of the athletic therapists about it and he got me to do leg extensions with my toe turned out to strengthen the medial part of the quads, I already do squats to parallel (trying to go lower but my flexability sucks, but I'm working on that), lunges, leg curls and straight extensions.
    Anyone got a good exercise that I can add in?

2. rghrob

rghrob OT Supporter

I had patella tendinitis (jumper's knee). Here's what my physical therapists had me do:

1. Lunges: Imagine a 90 degree angle. Do a regular forward lunge, side lunge (http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Quadriceps/DBSideLunge.html), and then preform a regular squat. 15 repetitions for each side and a total of 3 sets.

2. Balance: Balance board excercises. There's a whole bunch of stuff on the web. Also find a 12 inch step, place one foot on the ledge parallel, have the other foot suspended with toes pointed upward, lower yourself until the heel of the foot suspended barely touches the floor, and raise yourself back up. Try reps of 20 and increase step size accordingly.

3. Quads: Leg presses and light squats. Repititions is key, try to aim for a rep. of 20. Also try the Wall Sit:

Stand with lower back against an exercise ball of about 25 inches that rests against a wall. Feet are shoulder-width apart and a comfortable distance from the wall. Body is erect.
    Slowly bend knees and lower body until thighs are parallel with the floor
    Do not go lower and do not allow knees to extend beyond feet.
    Keeps abs contracted and back straight.
    Pause at the bottom, then roll back up.

* Pause at the bottom as long as you can and remember to "tighten/flex" your quads.

Hope this helps.

3. TXLBS

TXLBS New Member

I've had a torn ACL due to a severe dislocation of my miniscus (7mm tear). My prehab (or whatever you want to call it) for it looks like this:

Warmup before ALL training days
    TKE's with a green band
    One legged 45 degree backraises
    One legged squats

I started noticing a difference in the way my knee felt almost immediately. Much stronger, and more stable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.