SRS Excitement/fear of the new vs. Comfort/entrapment of the comfortable

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by William Murderface, May 29, 2007.

1. William Murderface

William Murderface I'd rather die than go to heaven.

Been wrestling with this question for several weeks now, as it pertains to moving far away from everything I know/love to try something completely different or sticking around in my comfort zone. I'm deciding between two law schools at the moment, with less than 72 hours to make my decision. Villanova is near Philadelphia, only 2 hours from where I live; University of San Diego is, well, very far away. Both are academically similar and both are regional schools, meaning the vast majority of students start working locally after graduation--so I'm looking at a longer commitment than just the 3 year education.

San Diego is gorgeous, warm, and something fresh and exciting, but I have no friends out there whatsoever. Villanova is also nice, although in the cold Northeast, but it is close and not far from my best friends and most of my family.

To the wise OT'rs out there: how important is trying something new and completely independent versus staying relatively close to family and a couple long time friends? I try to evaluate things in the long run. Which would I potentially regret more? Leaving the people close in my life behind, or never saying "fuck it" and moving to the other side of the country for a different, uncharted experience?

2. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Post this in the main forum, too. You'll probably get tons of replies about why Philly/San Diego sucks/rules.

3. Alenon12

Alenon12 Save the cheerleader....save the world

I suppose it depends on the type of person you are. When I joined the military i was only 19 and scared shitless. However after training and getting to tech school, I was amazed at how much i was enjoying it. now i've been out for 2 years after my 5 year term and I wouldnt trade the experiences for anything. Personally I think its great to get away from what you're familiar with and experience the different cultures/areas. Its amazing how different people are even only a few states away.

4. Nyctrias

Nyctrias If I can't be my own...I'd feel better dead.

It's not a completely black and white decision...you could also think about going to school in San Diego, and then reevaluating your decision once there. Give it a year or so at least. If you like it out there, stay...if you don't, move back.

Life is a journey, not a destination.