exchange experts...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by DigiCrime, Oct 22, 2008.

1. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

I have this suspicious feeling that one of our administrators is reading my email I want to move my email off. Can an admin read my email from exchange? They know way to much so they have to be reading it some how....my work station is locked with my own password no one knows it but they have admin access to the server where exchange is stored...

2. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Yes they can.

3. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

fuckers :( If I delete it off does exchange still store it for like 30 days?

4. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

for most larger businesses, they will store a copy of email forever

5. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

lol that sucks.

6. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

uh, didn't you know that they have access to everything you do at work? they can (and do) see all of your email, all of your files on your PC and all of your web traffic (other than encrypted stuff for secure sites). they track everything you do and it is completely legal. you are not entitled to any privacy while using your company's computers and networks.

7. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

To some extent yes but my computer isn't on a domain and its local and no one knows my pass. It was just odd how this person knows a little to much about myself and another co worker. I have nothing to hide actually I talk to another girl that isn't in my office she is in another location but we talk a lot about work and personal stuff and yea anyone will entertain their own thoughts about whats going on theres no hiding that I like her. We've moved to another form of communication now to keep prying eyes out

8. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

keep in mind that they can see AIM and other instant messenger traffic as well.

9. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

We been using cell phones and txting mostly. I have my own servers thats not in this building its in a noc that i lease bandwidth from I use that to email back and forth. If they can intercept email that way thats pretty farfetched, not doubting it but someone has to stoop that fucking low thats fucked up.

10. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

you're using their network. so yes, they can see it.

11. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

cool lol oh well other admin will just have to get jealous and pissy then I'm not doing anything illegal

12. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

be very careful because a jealous admin is not your main concern. the real concern is possibly losing your job due to inappropriate conduct at the workplace... which could be brought to the wrong person's attention by a pissy admin.

you also have to be concerned about anything sexual being traceable to you at work. if you piss the girl off, she may be able to twist some of your emails around and make a pretty good sexual harassment case. since you are using company equipment they'll probably just drop you to prevent having to worry about any legal issues.

13. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

just ssh tunnel to your server. you'll be using their network, but the data will be encrypted.

14. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

it doesn't matter what you're using to access your exchange account, all the mail is stored on a store in the exchange server.

15. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

I realize what I'm getting into and know all the dangers and consequences involved not to worried about it right now. Just a shitty deal..

I have a VPN on my server it has encryption enabled on it would that be alright?

16. blissend

blissend New Member

For exchange email accounts with an exchange administrator it won't matter if you have VPN. I'd suggest using personal email accounts if allowed as its a bit harder for them to monitor accounts like gmail.

17. quzer

quzer New Member

download putty and do:
    putty.exe -D 1080 [email protected]
    then leave it running in the background

then go on firefox (or whatever your browser is) and change network settings so that you connect through a socks proxy on port 1080, with the address being localhost. from then on everything you do on your browser will be encrypted and sent to your private server, your private server will handle all your browser's request.

also, definitely do not use your work e-mail (they can check the database), use a different e-mail like gmail and also have the girl you're interested in do the same thing :p (if you also care about her privacy that is)

18. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

i was lookingg at exchange manager on my server and i can't see how i could read another persons email im not that saavy about it. Only way I could is if I change their account password in AD and log into outlook that way..thats a little obvious however. We both use outside mail now I been using my VPN lately it reroutes all the traffic into my network where its encrypted

19. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

It's all permission based - when you set up Outlook, you don't need to setup your account, you can setup any account you have access to. I have 4 accounts at work that I've setup in one profile, my personal one, and three shared accounts.

20. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

All this hassle for a piece of ass? Just use your own personal phone(not company's) for calls, texts, and emails. That way you can at least avoid any trouble at work with regards to using their network/comps/email for personal stuff.