Exchange Crew: Quick question....

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by deesee22, Nov 26, 2008.

1. deesee22

deesee22 Habs Crew OT Supporter

At my work we use exchange for inter-office emails, however for external emails we use POP mail. It doesnt really make sense to me. Could we not just use exchange for everything?

I am thinking maybe since we don't have a BES server, they use POP mail to save money and cheaply forward email to Blackberries.

Does this make sense?

It just sucks because I have two inboxes, one for POP and one for Exchange.

2. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

No it doesn't make any sense. If you can use OWA, you can connect BB's to it anyway (not true push email, but neither is POP3). You can even get BPS if you have less than 30 users using BB's for about 100 bucks a license.

3. deesee22

So right now I have two accounts: Exchange, and "Internet Mail" (POP)

Is it possible that the network administrator (who is contracted through a local computer place) doesn't know how to properly administer Exchange? Should you not be able to attach POP accounts and SMTP (for outgoing mail) to their respected Exchange accounts?

I dont know much about this, but im more tech savvy then everyone else working here so they asked me if anything can be improved.

4. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

There's no need to have POP accounts at all. To get email sent to you at your work from outside, all you need to do is set the MX record for your domain to point to your Exchange server on site (via a firewall). You really have to go out of your way to set it up any other way.

5. deesee22

Thanks for the reply

I was just thinking that before I saw your reply "Why do we even have Exchange in the first place, all we use it for is internal messaging." Right now it is pointless