Exchange 5.5 help needed

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by FLY-FAST, Feb 4, 2004.

1. FLY-FAST

FLY-FAST OT Supporter

I'm running an instance of Exchange 5.5 at one of my clients(and no they are willing to upgrade), and I was wondering if there was a means of alllowing only a subset of my users to be able to see and send email to our global email addresses.

For example, the sales staff keep emailing "all-staff" so EVERYONE gets that email. They aren't bright enough to follow the rules, so I was wondering if this can be done through Exchange?

Anyone have any pointers?

2. carpet muncher

carpet muncher New Member

Yes it can be done. I know at my previous employer only a few users had access to the global distribution lists. I don't know how it was done though because I wasn't the Exchange Administrator.

3. carpet muncher

carpet muncher New Member

Here, I found this. It may point you in the right direction:

Question: One of my users sent a message to the entire global address list. Many other users are selecting Reply All, and sending it again. These replies are generating a flood of e-mail, and my messaging infrastructure is having a hard time keeping up. Mail delivery is extremely slow across my organization. How do I remedy this and prevent it from happening in the future?

Answer: This situation is called "bedlam." To remedy the situation, search the TechNet CD for "bedlam." Locate the document that is titled "Preventing and Correcting Large Distribution List Message Storms," which contains information on cleaning up bedlam situations and on restricting access to distribution lists (DLs).

You can also limit the number of recipients on the To line of a message in order to prevent a message storm. For additional information, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    126497 XADM: Limiting the Number of Recipients of a Message

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;240759&Product=ech