excessive muscle activity

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by flanker1971, Jul 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flanker1971

flanker1971 New Member

This seems to be the most appriopiate forum so here goes.

Basically ive looked around the net and looked at various articles and it seems i suffer from "excessive muscle activity".

This is basically where people shake and in extreme cases can have large involentary muscle movement.

its becoming annoying now so much its getting i nthe way of my life, simple things like holding tea my hand will shake terribly, and in nervous situations my knees will be almost uncontrably vibrating.

My question is simple: does anyone know any ways of reducing my muscle movement? have i misread what this condition is and im jumping to conclusions?

Im basically looking for things i can eat / drink or do to try and stop this shakiness. I first thought it may be excess sugar (chocoholic :p) or too much caffeine but i drink hardly anything other than fruit juice and water. and i dont average over 1 chocolate bar every 2/3 days now.

Im really desperate to try and curb this problem, anyone got anything that cud help me out?

2. Cumstang02

Cumstang02 New Member

See a doctor.

3. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

What he said.

4. flanker1971

flanker1971 New Member

Im seeing a doctor next week, im just wondering if anyone on here knows of anything i can do just to help.

5. xela

xela So say we all!

Wow, that seems like it's a huge pain in the ass. :hug: I don't have any suggestions, but I hope the doctor can figure something out for you!

6. Toxicity

Toxicity New Member

What if you remain constantly drunk?

7. etech

etech New Member

This is just a possible suggestion. As the others have said, see the doctor.

http://www.ctds.info/nystagmus.html#magnesium_nystagmus

"# In a study in the Netherlands in 1993, nystagmus was linked to hypomagnesemia (a deficiency of magnesium in the blood).
    # In a paper published in 1981, the manifestations of magnesium deficiency noted include tremors, myoclonic jerks, convulsions, Chvostek sign, Trousseau sign, spontaneous carpopedal spasm, ataxia, nystagmus and dysphagia; psychiatric disturbances, cardiac arrhythmias."

Mg deficiency is not very common but worth looking into. Have you had any stomach "problems" recently?

BTW, most fruit juices are very high in sugars.

8. flanker1971

flanker1971 New Member

Yeh i mean diluted juice drinks, which specifically say no added sugar, just the fructose.

its wierd but i sometimes do suffer from stomach problems. going to look for foods that are high in magnesium, see if i ever eat anything like that, that may be a clue.

EDIT; i found this http://www.marinurology.com/articles/calculi/foods/magnesium.htm

Funny thing is, i eat hardly anything off that list and whatever i do its not often. You may have found something here.

9. michael

michael FLORIDA > *

restless leg syndrome.. i cant help but bounce shake tap, etc.. i feel a need to.. it sucks, i'm burning precious calories :hs:

10. michael

michael FLORIDA > *

11. WPInerd

WPInerd New Member

no one else but a doctor can help you on this one man, goodluck!

12. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

you don't have RLS - RLS is painful people. you just have energy, like most of the world

13. scholar

scholar New Member

I used to have this really bad, I thought I was getting Parkinson's at 17 or something.

It's a lot better now. On the diet side, I never eat chocolate or any sort of dessert or add salt to my food, and never drink anything apart from water, milk, or protein shakes.

Are you active? Do you work out at all?

14. Elfling

Elfling New Member

I've never heard of anything remotely like this :hs: so I'm not going to even venture any bullshit. Only thing I could suggest is are you taking *any* sort of medications? Allergy, migraine, anything like that?

Good luck with the doctor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.