Example of a golddigger

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by Falconer, Mar 5, 2007.

1. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

This story was posted in the Offtopic forum. It's long so I won't post it here, but I'll quote golddigger parts.

Thread

Article

Dan is the husband. Tammy is the wife. She handled the finances.

And people gave me shit for having "must understand the importance of wealth accumulation, not carry a credit card balance, and not have uncontrollable spending habits" on my list of "girlfriend/wife criteria."

This is why you have prenups.

This is why I think it's ok to hide assets from a spouse (offshore ftw).

This is why I don't want some golddigger who wants to keep up with the Jonses. No, your new BMW is NOT more important than investing that same money. Do you have 5 years worth of living expenses in liquid form ready? No? Then keep driving your 5 year old Civic.

<asshole>

I hope I can find a woman who meets this criteria who is still physically attractive.

</asshole>

2. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

This is why you figure out early on in the relationship how the person is, what they want out of life, etc. And weed them out if its not what you want.

3. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

She seemed normal in the beginning of that story, too. It wasn't until they moved into the yuppie neighborhood that she turned into a golddigger.

4. fray

fray New Member

can go the same way in opposite though. Can have a man that spends a ton too.

I think your criteria are fine. You will find a woman (an attractive woman) who has control over her finances, who isn't always looking to "keep up with the Joneses". Just weed it out early. I think you're on the right track. The only thing I don't agree with is hidden accounts (just for me, personally, not for you). I like everything out in the open...not to say it all has to be joint though. Not sure on how I feel about that yet.

5. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

If we get divorced, she gets half UNLESS the lawyers can't find it. Hence hidden assets. I'm not sure how prenups work, but I hear they can be overruled o_O.

6. lauren

lauren Active Member

so, since she met all of your criteria in the begining, how is one to tell that she would turn golddigger later?

7. fray

fray New Member

I see...

8. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

You can't tell. That's why I will have a prenup and asset protection. I have to look out for myself. I know that sounds bad, but talk to anyone who's divorced who was "so in love" when they got married. People can change. I don't want to lose 1/2 my assets because a woman decided she'd rather bang some other dude.

9. lauren

lauren Active Member

i know :hs:

are your folks divorced?

10. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

But I'm not hypocritical. I'll sign a prenup for her, too. Then again, I wouldn't try to screw someone over financially if I got mad at them (like women seem to do when they get divorces).

11. fray

fray New Member

Do you feel like you will need to meet a woman who is ...I want to a say realist. I don't know if that's what I mean, but someone who is a little jaded and feels like you do, or do you want find a girl who is emotional and just loves you and that's enough, etc., as long as she meets your qualifications?

I hope that doesn't come off as insulting. It is very poorly worded. I hope you get what I mean. I'm just curious.

12. fray

fray New Member

Now, now...I'm sure that more because in the past, women didn't have much income to their own names. Their job was the housewife. So, when the man wanted to take "what he earned" that would've left the woman with little, even though her job was taking care of the house and kids.

Not that it doesn't happen in other situations where the woman is just being a greedy bitch though, because they think/know they can get away with it...so I see where you're coming from.

13. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Nope. Both of my parents are frugal (lol I think that's where I learned it from), and my dad is the only one who works. AFAIK there was no prenup cuz neither of them had anything when they got married.

14. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

I don't plan on getting married, ever. I just don't trust people I guess.

15. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

I'm willing to bet that she was materialistic all along and he was just oblivious to it.

16. gkremian

gkremian New Member

Congratulations, you found a golddigger. Now, go out and find another girl who isn't a total, wallet based bitch. (I know that you weren't the person in the story, that's just the moral of the story)

17. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

Post the whole thing, it was a good read.

The husband shares fault as well not taking some control or even having knowledge of the finances.

BTW, the article was about living beyond your means. It truly had nothing to do with the woman being a golddigging bitch.

18. gkremian

gkremian New Member

That too is true.. it is about living beyond your means. However, he did get a 100k bonus and she expected a pool.. I would have invested that shit into stocks immediately and not worried about a pool. I'm going to host parties, whether or not I have a pool, because I can flair the kitchen and put on a fantastic dinner with creative ideas. People don't seem to realize the potential to have a great time with random shit. I'm about to throw a mock rave on friday night, and I went insane and bought glow sticks, strobes, black lights, body paint, and alcohol. I already have the dance music. Total cost: ~100 bucks or less than. It's going to be intense. I didn't have to spend 100k on a pool to make my ego swell as much as this rave on 100 bucks will be.

I started to make a point here and completely forgot until like 30 minutes later: he got 100k bonus and she expected a pool. That's a little close to erring on the side of bullshit.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2007
  19. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

I don't wanna post it cuz it's long. But it's posted in the link to the offtpioc forum and the article I linked to.

You're right, it's about living beyond your means. But I took the golddigging aspects out of it and posted it in here because that topic comes up sometimes :)

20. lauren

lauren Active Member

always a possibility

21. calisteph6

calisteph6 Active Member

That article can apply to men just as much as women though too. What makes you think a man can't hide his hobbies and spending from his wife? I've heard of that happening before. In their situation a prenup wouldn't have done shit. That guy was a pussy and let shit get way outta hand and didn't put his foot down soon enough. They obviously never got divorced, but even if they did they would have just been dividing up debt.

22. demosnat

demosnat New Member

I would never support an individual. If you need a bigger house, get a job and buy one.
    Marriage is a suppressive institution.

23. demosnat

demosnat New Member

Werd. This shit happened to my mom. My dad spent all of their money on stupid hobbies/other women, drove my mother into debt...they both worked and had comprable income.

24. Yail Bloor

Yail Bloor OT Supporter

:werd:

head in the sand ftl

The focus of the article was living beyond your means, and in the story that they told, the family got in over their head by spending money on things that the wife wanted. She's the one who is embarrassed because they can no longer "keep up with the joneses."

25. AlcoLOLic

AlcoLOLic New Member

The article is actually in MSN: Women. It's written the way it is because it appears in a women's section, believe it or not.

There is an old saying..."Idle hands are the Devil's workshop". It was easy to see trouble brewing when, upon moving, one half of the spousal unit decided to stay at home full time, along with buying more house than they could realistically afford. It was all downhill from there.

Overall, this story just drove home my goal: wherever I wind up, I feel that I will be doing the best for myself when I am making double the average salary for the area in which I live. If I can't do that, I either need to find another job or move to a place where that would be possible. I've done it before. My spouse, whatever she earns, would be gravy...she can spend up to 75% of it if she wants on clothes, trips, the kids, whatever. However I would only feel I was doing the best for my family by earning 2x the average.

And I would NOT marry someone who insisted on staying at home while the other worked. That leads to all SORTS of problems...exclusive of what happens with a new child, which is a total other ball of wax.