everything went to shit today

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by dorkultra, Sep 6, 2008.

1. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

so, on my lunch break my dad called me and said that his office computer was turning off, then it started to smoke.

i spent my lunch break swapping his system over to his other computer. he's a dentist and has a software suite with patterson eaglesoft. basically his office will grind to a halt without any computers working. he can still work obviously, but will not be able to submit any electronic claims or do any billing etc. currently he is working on his second computer, he just cannot send any electronic claims because his second computer lacks a modem (he uses dialup because broadband is not an option in his building)

when i got home i took a look at the computer. the power supply stunk like burnt electronics. i had a backup computer at home that was prepping to bring into his office the following day. i got the backup computer all set to go. i wanted to check the hard drive of the busted computer, so i put it in as a slave. bad idea.
    the computer would not turn on now. i removed the slave hard drive and the computer would still not turn on. that hard drive ended up frying the entire backup computer, mobo, power supply - even a hard drive caddy tray

holy fuck!!
    apparently one hard drive killed 2 computers. good thing they are older amd computers. i'd be fucking pissed if i would have killed my c2d rig that i just built.

i managed to load his latest backup image from a dvd onto my c2d machine. now i'm running into the problem that i do not have a working modem - both are dead. i think i might have to process his e-claims at home while i wait for a modem to arrive.

i would have never thought a single hard drive could cause so much damage. initially i thought it was just a dead power supply.

CLIFFS: dad's dental business computer dies. thought it was the power supply, turns out it was the hard drive. i figured this out after it killed 1 additional computer.

2. dorkultra

cool, i can RMA the drive

oh yeah, my parents tv died last night. now it just has a single horizontal line in the center. and they broke thier computer at home also, but none of these crazy events are related...its just all nuts that it happened at once

3. Sexual Vanilla

Sexual Vanilla New Member

Sounds like you have found the gates of electronics hell. Good luck bro.

On that note...I'd stay away from your parents. They seem to bring bad luck.

4. dorkultra

i got it all sorted out. i'm replacing his busted amd 1.2ghz duron with an amd athlon 64 3000+
    obviously different mobo and components because nothing was salvageable from the old computer except the case

5. redfred18t

redfred18t New Member

damn that must be one hell of a crappy lunch break

6. White Stormy

White Stormy Take that, subspace!

if the computer system is that important for his office why not spend like $1k on a new setup

7. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

wow, I can't say I've ever heard of a hard drive nuking a whole system.

8. dorkultra

my point exactly. i could have sworn it was the power supply that was dead. however it was actually the hard drive that dead and ended up destroying the power supply and everything in the process. then it took down the backup computer when i plugged it in

i shouldn't complain because i get to stay at home for free, in exchange for keeping his office running

9. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

I had a drive kill 2 machines at work recently ... Sheriff's officer called up his machine just got an amber light. I got a new MB, plugged it all in, except the drives, everything looked good. Plugged in the drive, got it all put back together, hmm amber light?! Took out my test system too ... :(

10. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

It's more to do with people who assume nothing's wrong even when they hear weird noises or see weird effects, but yeah, his parents pretty clearly are angels of electronic death.

11. deusexaethera

Fixed.

12. White Stormy

you could easily get two reliable machines for $1k. It's not like they need top-of-the-line super computers for point of sale.

13. dorkultra

they should be fine with an amd athlon 64 3000+

the software specs are pretty low. however then need things like usb2, the old machine was using a usb2 pci card. so an upgrade of the whole system was in store. the new computer has everything onboard except the modem. they do daily backups of the .db eaglesoft files to a flash drive. i have syncback setup to shutdown the database server (or else it won't complete a backup), the backup the files if they were changed, then safely eject the flash drive and automatically start back up the database server. pretty sweet for a 1 click backup because even the retarded secretary can figure it out

finding a working modem was a bitch, a friend of mine had an extra one laying around

14. chips

chips ...

sucks i was glad i was off this last weekend we had a DS3 died and 3 hospitals up in NY lost all there connection.. we have all there file and apps servers in nashville. Had to send techs up to the hospitals to rig a few PCs to use citrix to access there main clinical app but everything else was dead

15. GOGZILLA

GOGZILLA Double-Uranium Member

that shit happened to my parents too, electronic holocaust. two laptops and a pc + my grandparents pc all within a week

16. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

HOW is this possible can someone explain? I would be sick if I spent a few hundred to a thousand quid on a computer that fucked up like this.

How does it happen, and what all devices can cause it. USB, eSata? That would be shit.

17. deusexaethera

Fair enough then. Hell, even two eMachines with software-RAIDed dual hard drives, and Distributed Filesystem replication configured to keep the files in-sync between the two machines, would be virtually impossible to crash.

18. dorkultra

i ghosted the hard drive on the main computer and i keep the drive at his office, this is just in case his current drives dies, i'll have another hard drive to swap in
    raid would be overkill

19. White Stormy

an immediate backup solution for a business dependent on its data system is overkill?

20. dorkultra

raid 1 is not a substitute for a backup
    he can go without a computer for a day, it will just back things up a little bit for the next day. the won't be able to do scheduling or print reciepts for that day if the computer is down

21. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

Windows systems need hardware for mirroring, right? like, you couldn't create a software mirror then split the mirror to be used for backups, right?

22. deusexaethera

The mirror already is a backup. Why would you split it once you've made it?

23. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

a mirror is not a backup. it is an exact duplicate at all times, not a point in time. so, if your data is accidentally deleted on the primary volume, you have no backup because you just mirrored that deletion. the same goes for a virus, data corruption, overwriting a file, etc...

mirror != backup

24. deusexaethera

Ever heard of a realtime backup? It's just a mirror that isn't live.

In any event, I'd rather have a mirror than a traditional backup; I'd rather lose data out of stupidity than catastrophe.

25. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

it seemed like he was going to take the system offline for a while to do backups. if you could split mirrors, you could continue operating while backing up the mirror. then, when backups are done you could resync the mirrors. it is something done in UNIX very easily, though i would normally do it with 3 hard drives and have the 3rd for backups... though online backups aren't a problem for the OS so i never needed to do it then. :)