SRS Everything sucks

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by FyreDaug, Feb 28, 2006.

1. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

I used to have some good stuff, at one time I had a 2004 sunfire GT (yes I know, shut up) but it was a pile of shit and broke down all the time, so that car was gone and I went back to an 87 honda accord, which ran for a year before the front bearings were shot. And I spent a bunch of money on that car, I had a show-stopping carputer system in it that sounded incredible, but now that cars gone and ive got an 87 accord hatch that is making it impossible to install a deck in, the damn wires are all fucked up in it and its just really frusterating in general, and now its misfiring again... arg.

Moved out when I was 17, lived in a cheapo apartment for 1 month before I moved out and ended up living with a bunch of roommates in a big house for 9 months, which was miserable, the first few months were ok, and it was kinda cool to be living in a big house with a bunch of people I knew rather than family, and it would have turned out better if the landlord wasnt such a dick, it was shared acommodations with him and he was drunk and accused me of stealing shit all the time and banging on my door in the middle of the night etc etc. It sucked, now in the past 14 days ive spent nearly 2000 on moving out once again, buying shit for the new place, damage deposit, rent etc and I dont even thinks its all that great for everything. Living isnt cheap, and ive still got a bunch of bills to pay from the old place.

My computer sucks, I spent a ton of money on it and this was top of the line specs when it came out, its a 3.2 p4, 2gigs of ram, HAD a good mobo, but the bios clock stopped working for some reason and caused all sorts of problems. Outside of warranty, so I had to buy a new mobo because I got tired of dealing with the resetting clock all the time, and its a cheaper one with a new chipset, so I had to format, and my roommate had a camera and stored all the stuff on my computer, I had alot of good stuff in there too, but when I formatted I asked him where all his stuff was located to back up. In the end I ended up losing a bunch of stuff, that sucked too.

I dont really have anything that works, not even my godamn bed works, I cant sleep with the bed frame, the bed just falls through the center (double size box and double size frame) so I need a new frame, which costs money, which sucks.

I need to format my damn comnputer again, its alot of work to back everything up on the 250gig main drive, and somehow manage to find space on the 50gigs I have free on the other 400gig space. So if I format to fix my computer im gonna lose stuff again, which again sucks.

I live in an apartment so I cant have music up loud, which I spent all this money on a big system before (some of which is in the car, I turned the carputer from the accord into a second system and got my old deck back from my buddy and put my car sub in the car, but like I said, im having so many problems with the wiring on this car its pissing me off), and even at the volume its at right now it almost seems to loud and im probably going to get some sort of complaint.

I dont really have any form of entertainment anymore, ive got an n64 with n64 games and controllers everywhere, but n64 sucks. Especially the music on those damn cartridges. I left the ps2 for my brother when I moved out, and hes got most of my games, ive got gt4, which I cant even play. Again spent money on it and I cant do anything with it.

Ive got 3 cars right now, 2 of which are parked in a yard as parts cars. My last accord, and its parts car. Essentially being 2 parts cars for my current car (but Id rather have the money back than 2 cars for parts, that eventually im gonna have to get towed away and junked... at my expense)

My job fuckin sucks, I used to like it at first when it was training and stuff, but now thats its all real live site tech support for macs (which I hadnt touched before I even started this job) im a hardcore windows guy and I could probably troubleshoot any problem you could think of, and ill be able to tweak it 3 different ways to make it work better, I cant do shit on macs. And I hate networking, the majority of our calls.

Everything I have seems to be broken in some sense, my desk is broken, my computer is missing some panels and looks stupid, it doesnt run right either, and im missing a bunch of shit from my landlord stealing from me before.

WTF :dunno: :sadwavey:

2. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

And I want cool shit, I wanna be able to have a 1st place sound quality winning sound system that I can crank the fuck out of it and not have anything distort and it will sound really good. I want a killer computer system wit ha 30" apple LCD

I want a fast car, I wanna build my go kart project. I want something good.

3. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

It sounds to me like you need to grow up, first off. Here's why:

1) Being materialistic isn't reality. Sure, you know what you WANT to have, but what do you NEED to have? Realistic expectations from the world will get you much farther than living pipe dreams.

2) Instead of just looking at the bad side of everything, look at the good. At least you HAVE a car, computer, etc. Lots of people don't even have all that.

3) As far as your job goes, if you seriously want a job in the computer industry, you need to buck up and be willing to learn some things. We can't always do just what we enjoy in life, and avoid the things we don't want to do. If you were willing to invest more time into learning Macs, and/or networking, you wouldn't probably be as bothered by doing it. I was/am in a similar boat with programming -- I hate it with a passion, but I have to learn it even though I'll never use it as a networking consultant (my ultimate career choice).

You just need to figure out how to let the little stuff roll off your back and look at the big picture.

4. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

Im just no where that I want to be, believe it or not I wanted to make a career out of racing, and so far I havent even gotten to sqaure one.

5. 2500

2500 Guest

what steps are you taking to get further? its easy to complain about shit being bad, but, if you want different outcomes, you need different actions. if your not doing anything differet, nothing will change. i'm in the same boat, and should take my own advice. i just find it easier to give than to do, lol.

6. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

Ive done a ton different to try to make life better, but its not working. I dont really have much for family either, my moms come through quite a bit lately and helped me out with this move, but thats because she knew how bad it was at the last place and wanted to help me out.

One of the big things that made me depressed was living at that house and all the bullshit john (landlord) put me through, it was unreal and I hated it. But now that Ive managed to spent almost 2000 on this move with buying almost everything again (because alot of my shit was broken) I dont feel like Ive gotten anywhere, Ive got an 800sq ft apartment that I share with my girlfriend and even yet I dont feel happy. And its not her. Ive only been here a couple days so maybe things will look up, but for the 2000 I spent, I dont have alot to show. Why does living cost so much? I even make 11/hr and manage to spend most of it all the time, and with my 2 jobs I work 55 hours/wk and Ive got nothing to show for it, its depressing living day by day and it seems like a struggle to even get through the days now. Like I wake up and go "fuck".

and by spend most of it all the time, I mean on day to day things, food, clothes (which Ive yet to do, I wear like 4 different things all the time, pants and shirt that I alternate when its laundry time... so I havent even done that yet) rent, gas, plates.

PLUS I owe my grandmother a bunch of money for that FUCKING SUNFIRE when GMAC took it back because I refused to pay for such a pile of fuckin shit. arg, life fuckin sucks

7. johan

johan Active Member

Maybe you should stop and think what life is trying to tell you.

Your second post contained a whole bunch of "I want" and nothing else. I want I want I want

Let's see: a killer computer w 30" apple display. a 1st place killer sound system.... and a whole bunch of other meaningless shit when you haven't got a decent place to live yet.

instead let's talk about your plan to get things moving in a positive direction. Forget about all those meaningless toys. They'll come easy enough when you have CASH. And that starts with getting your job situation fixed.

You say you're a "hardcore windows guy". So...you took a job doing Mac calls...WHY?

Let's hear about how you're going to fix your employment situation. A better place, a nicer car, nice toys...all that shit flows from having a stable, decent paying job.

So how about it.

8. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

FyreDoug, material possessions don't equal happiness ;)
    Maybe it's time to learn that.

9. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

I took the job because I was delivering pizzas at the time and needed to get something better. And at 11/hr starting I didnt wanna pass it up. 6 week training course, they brought in people who barely knew anything about computers at all, thought it would be easy after 6 weeks of training. But I miss the training, it was fun. We did activities and learned alot about stuff, but now that Ive godda put it in use, it sucks and I dont really wanna do it anymore.

You say all my items will come in time, when I have money. But ive waited 19 years and so far gotten pretty much nothing. Im jealous of all the people who have it easy. Win the lottery and have good luck. Luck doesnt shine on me. Infact I see 12:34 on clocks all the time, its creepy, but when I see it, I have bad luck that day... Its probably all in my head, but its wierd that I see 12:34 all the time.

Daug.

And yes they do... lets see, live in a shitty run down house with no heat in the winter time, or live in a mansion with maids, and a whole bunch of other cool shit. You fuckin rights Id be happy, and my girlfriend would be happy to have all this shit too. I hate that quote, please dont use it again. It sucks ;)

Everything revolves around money, having money is good, and having money to buy even better things ftw. Fuck all this broke crap and barely getting through the months. You only live life once, you should be able to enjoy it, yet I havent

EDIT: and ive been trying to get a job supporting windows machines for over a year, during the whole training process I averaged 94% and I spent 75% of the time on OT.

10. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

No offense, but you seem to base your life on what you own. I will say it again, material possessions does NOT equal happiness. Look around you and learn to enjoy what you have right now.
    BTW, chances are you won't live in a mansion with maids etc. if you don't do something about your life.
    There are PLENTY of things you can do when you're broke, plenty of things to spend time with your SO that don't take money.
    edit: you're only 19 years old and you expect to have the world right now. In time you'll learn that the only way to get what you want is to work hard and appreciate what you have right now. Otherwise you will become nothing but a bitter old man.

11. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

Work hard? Are you kidding me? I work 55hr weeks every week, I used to manage the pizza place when I was 18, but moved on because I didnt like the owner. I dont expect to have the world, just to be atleast on the right track to get where I want. I dont like saskatchewan, Id rather be in BC, have a nice car. Doesnt have to be a ferrari or something, just a nice new car. Be making more than I am now, so I can work less and spend more time doing things I want. Like building a racing career, a legit one. We dont even have much of a track, we have SIR for 1/4 mile and bridgecity speed way which I actually havent been to, but hear it sucks.

Its just blow after blow to me, I owe close to 10000 to my grandmother still, and theres nothing I can do until I pay it off. Each dream gets shattered one after another. I had a perfect MR2 lined up from japan, it was in awesome shape, turbo, t-tops, low miles and fairly cheap JDM. I was in love with it and almost wired the money to the guy. But I found out I couldnt import it until december and theres no way I could spend that much money on a car, and pay holding charges and have to wait 10 months before I can get it. So I lost that, and ended up with a cheap 87 honda accord because I cant do anything else.

I just see other people who have everything so much easier, and they are much happier. You cant deny that. When you know everyday you are pretty much working for nothing, it doesnt do much to motivate you. I wont be able to do anything for 2 years, and it just keeps sucking.

like what? I need suggestions on what to do, because obviously what im doing its turning into a downward depression

12. Hootahz314

Hootahz314 I have daddy issues

For the time being you have a job, a car, a roof over your head, a computer, a sound system and a girlfriend. You do realize that all of those things are priviledges and not just granted to you once you turn a certain age right? You said something about a Sunfire being repo'd because it was a pile of crap, did you take the time to care for it or just run it into the ground and then decide it was a pile? Now your grandmother is out alot of money and you complain that you were wronged. No. You weren't. Have you stopped to consider that?

Now your job, you have one. You picked it, nobody forced to you to apply, you knew what the job was, since when are jobs all about fun times? They aren't. It's a job, not your life. Find something new. Besides, you most likely have a sour attitude at work if you dislike your job so much. Happens to the best of us, but it isn't fair to the others you work with that DO enjoy their jobs.

You have a roof and 4 walls surrounding you, a bed to sleep in (albeit an odd sounding bed, but nonetheless) and the essential utilities to help you get by. You chose to make the leap to move out, now it's up to you to suck it up and realize that these living quarters are temporary. It could be worse, imagine having to cover up with the sports page every night. Seriously, just take the time to imagine that. If you can't then you aren't as bad off as you think.

Computer. You could have the absolute top of the fuckin line everything and in a month, it's not and you'll want the next bigger, more expensive thing. You seem capable of making the best out of this situation. You DID mention your know how with windows, I'm sure you can figure something out to tide you over until you've met your other responsibilities (paying grandma back, how ignorant would THAT be if you decided you'd rather be selfish). It's part of growing up. Despite whatever notions you have of everyone around you being obscenely lucky, very few truly possess such a great thing. Any person that wants to have a satisfying life has to follow the very same steps we are trying to tell you to do. You aren't the first guy to think your getting jipped, you won't be the last, but it is up to you to realize that despite luck, or financial status, nobody owes you anything. But you do owe it to yourself to pick yourself up and start following the path that'll inevitably reward you with what you feel makes your life worth living.

I'm seriously not bagging you here. I was exactly in your shoes when I was 17. I had my son, was finishing high school and working as many hours as I possibly could just to get by, I did this for 3 years before I started noticing real improvement. These days, I have my own home, I am currently remodelling it to sell it and buy a villa. I have a career and will be going back to school for a few classes so that I can once again make an improvement. I appreciate all that I have, and don't waste time complaining about what I don't have. Why spoil a good mood over something I cannot control? It's worth thinking about.

13. American SuperBeast

American SuperBeast New Member

You need to more so realize that you can't have anything you want because it just won't happen. Go with what you have. Try to make the best of it. Just don't try and think that you want everything materialistic and w/ the landlord and the stuff he stole from you. If you have proof then get the shit back and make those payments and continue and don't pay attention to the past but focus on the present. I am making that mistake even now and it is hard to get out of but easy to talk about sometimes.

14. BlazinBlazer Guy

:wtcslap: Get your head out of your ass.

What. The hell. You're fucking 19; you aren't going to have it all right now, and you have to wrap your mind around that reality. Welcome to the real world, where life isn't fair and you have to bust your ass to better yourself. The first thing is you have to set realistic priorities for things you do with your time and money -- and remember, time is money. Use your time wisely and do things that will ultimately gain you more money. Think in LONG RANGE goals instead of short-range ones; and learn how to save up for things instead of blowing money as soon as you get it. Whatever you do though, wake up and pull your head out of your ass!!

15. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

This has been all long range thoughts/goals. But how can materialistic items NOT make anyone happy? I just dont see any logic in that. Sick+broke=:( healthy+lots of cool things=:big grin:

16. johan

johan Active Member

Nice things DO contribute to a nice life. Yes people would rather live in a 6000 sq ft spanish style villa with servants, landscaped grounds, three swimming pools and an 8 car garage filled with toys.

YES YES YES, we all agree it is more pleasant to live in comfort and luxury. Ok so now that we've settled that....

Now. Stop dreaming. Your life won't be like this any time soon. And the way you're going? NEVER.

So. YOUR life. What's that like? You have a crappy job. You have crappier prospects. Your job isn't going to get better on its own.

You waste what little cash you do have on shitty, temporary crap that will be meaningless worthless outdated crapola by next year.

You live in a crappy place, and are getting kicked out of one crappy place and being forced to move to another.

Does this sound like I'm being harsh? Well, all I'm doing is describing your life back to you, as you've described it to us.

I'm trying to get you to see that you're focused on very temporary, and ultimately meaningless goals which produce no lasting benefit to you.

See... there's two kinds of guys to be (ok, in reality, more, but let's keep it simple for now).

Guy #1
    Lives for now, gotta have "cool" shit, earns maybe $30K/year if that. Always just gettin by, although he hides it well. Works a mediocre job, having finally upgraded from a series of crappy job. Will probably never get beyond mediocre. Lives a frustrated existence and blows most of his cash on toys to convince himself his life isn't as bad as he thinks. Many people insulate from reality by excessive shopping. You're not alone in this.

Guy #2
    Likes cool shit -- who doesn't. But get real, winning the lottery isn't too likely. Early on he focuses on LONG TERM goals. Instead of spending every cent as soon as he earns it, he hangs on for a bit. Concentrate on career. Schooling, as necessary, to get somewhere. Work hard in your 20's and 30's, that's when you've got the legs for it.

Once you make it to that next plateau, by working hard when you're young, you can cruise easy into your 40's, 50's and beyond. You'll have a nice house. A nice car is no problem. BMW, Merc, Jag...these all become trivial purchases. 50" plasma in a nice house...again, that shit is no problem.

Meanwhile, Guy #1 is still renting in a crappy apartment, with a crappy computer that was killer 5 years ago, but is a total shitheap now.

BTW, Guy #2 has a beautiful girlfriend, and has always had beautiful girlfriends because the truth is, women like power and money. He's got both. Guy #1 has dated many women, but more often than not, he calls his right hand his best friend.

Which guy do you want to be?

And PS. I know you feel you work hard -- and I'm sure you do. I'm trying to get you to realize its WHAT you do that makes a difference.
    You know what? The guy digging ditches, or putting in 65 hr weeks delivering pizzas is working "harder" than most guys. But they're not getting paid -- in money or in respect -- according to their efforts.

17. BlazinBlazer Guy

Johan just gave an EXCELLENT analysis here; listen to him -- he knows what he's saying. The "living for now" verus "long range" ideas he presented were spot on.

How would you, FyreDaug, define a "long range goal" to be?? If long range to you means 6 months or a year, your priorities aren't straight. You should really be looking at least 5 years ahead, and saying "where do I want to be??" You have to be willing to endure some time of giving up certain things so you can afford to be where you want to be in that amount of time. The old saying goes "It only gets worse before it gets better." This is very true -- you'll have to come to terms with the fact that you can't have everything NOW, you have to force yourself to cut back on spending on "stuff" so that down the road, you'll have alot more savings to spend on what you want. That's why I said you have to pick your priorities; don't buy stuff just because you want it. Buy based on what you NEED to have. Do you need a computer? Yes. Do you NEED a 30" flat screen? NO. I doubt there are many people who do NEED that kind of thing -- but they of course want it. That's the hurdle you need to jump -- realizing what you NEED and what you WANT, and what the difference between those things is.

The bottom line is, you sound like you're rather irresponsible with money, and aren't trying to change your ways. You really need to learn responsibility before any change can happen.

18. JohnJohnJohnson

JohnJohnJohnson Effetely Sipping My Latte OT Supporter

I made net 6500 dollars last summer over the course of two months, and then spent it over the course of 4.5 months. :eek3: It was my first real job and I went nuts making money, and then went nuts spending it all

Now I put 80% in an account I don't touch and keep the rest around for spending money when I need to.

19. JohnJohnJohnson

JohnJohnJohnson Effetely Sipping My Latte OT Supporter

I'm also :o about that whole thing b/c my GF's a senior in HS from a poor family and is about to pay her own way through college by means of sound financial planning.

20. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

Ok you guys make good points, but whats the point of living life in the future? What if I die tomorrow? I know its not entirely relevant, and its not like im doing death-defying stunts everyday just because I "might" die tomorrow. But I live life for what it is now, and lately its been sucking. You can push a normal lifestyle on me all you want, saying look into the future 5 years from now, but I dont work that way, and will never really want to. Its good to have goals for down the road, but to get a goal, Id rather be a player than a goalie. Goalie, being the one who waits for an opportunity to act, whereas a player is going after the ball all the time. Maybe not the best analogy but you get where Im going with it.

But who DOESNT want stuff? My old landlord (the FUCKING dick) works at a diamond mine and brings in over 6000 after taxes every month. His schedule seems easy enough, 3 weeks in, 3 weeks out and he makes deadly money for working 50% of the year. Lets see, 6000x12 is 72000/yr, and technically hes only working for half that year. So theoretically he would be making 144000/yr. But that logic is flawed, just thought Id bring up some big numbers. No need to critisize that, I know its wrong.

Anyways, back to me bitching about everything. Your right though, I do have things that some people dont, and its not like im living on the streets, but if im not going in the direction I want to be, I might aswell be on the streets. Maybe there will be some excitement. Well no, I cant say that.

I suppose if I had a better mind set things would seem easier. I know I made the post out to be that I want everything. Im not *really* like that, just my way of expressing it in the post. I do appreciate what I have, but it seems like its never enough, and that 1 problem is always followed immediately after another.

A long range goal, I suppose of mine right now, is to be living in BC within 2 years and have a decent place (even a duplicate of this apartment, but over there) and be making decent money. And by decent I mean 14/hr or more at the very least. But infact that sentance isnt even really a goal. I dont want to be making 14/hr. I want to be making a successful career racing cars while fossil fuels still exist. I'm just in a better mood right now because ive got 2 days off starting tonight, and my girlfriend is coming home with some alcohol in a few minutes and we're going to enjoy our night. Im not the kind to get pissed drunk, probably -smoke- a little and have a couple drinks, watch a movie, listen to music and just be with brittany.

Maybe I am noticing the bad more than the good, its just hard to think of all the good things when the bad things get you down all the time. The bad outweighs the good so far. Arg, I dunno. Here I am asking for advice on what to do with my life on a free forum... maybe its not the best place to start, but you guys gave me something to think about atleast.

21. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

And just to clarify
    I dont "waste" money on things. Im the most anal person youll meet when it comes to purchasing something. Ill contemplate it for days, try to find better deals etc etc etc to make sure its worth my time and money. But when I compare those decisions to how ive spent my money moving out it just feels wierd. Ive never just dumped 2000 on anything before in 3 days. My computer? Its probably worth 2000, probably close to 1500 still, but I built it slowly and got things that I "needed" to make things better. I didnt go all out getting the most expensive shit, but the best bang:buck ratio.

Thats just me.

22. johan

johan Active Member

You still don't get it.

You spend inordinate amounts of time comtemplating your purchases. Fine. We're saying your purchases, in general, are frivolous and take you away from the real business of building your life.

You got a 2000 comp for 1500? Fantastic. Who cares. How does that help move you forward in your life? How does that improve your living situation? How does that improve your career. How does that improve your personal life?

You remind me of a guy who was a killer Counterstrike player...spent all sorts of time "working hard" at CS. Meanwhile in actual life, his life was going nowhere.

All you've done is confirm everyone's suspicion. You comtemplate a purchase for days.... Great.

How about spending less time and money on toys, computers, whatever.
    Instead, contemplate your CAREER with the same intensity and calculating boldness.

You'll get a better job, a better career, a better life. Hell with your new job, new life, new income, you can buy 10 comps and not sweat the details.
    That's what real living is about.

Not getting all happy because you got some video card at cost. Who cares, dude. That's peanuts in the grand scheme of life.

23. BlazinBlazer Guy

I get where you're going... but do you? If you spend your money constantly on little things, always being the player, you'll never have anything big and worth playing the goalie to defend. You will never be able to make big purchases while remaining financially stable, unless you stop spending on "stuff" constantly, and actually save up.

Oh, and you still need to learn the difference between wants and needs.

Ok, great! This is good. Now -- what do you need to do in order to reach the goal you have??

24. Toasty

Toasty Naked people have little or no influence on societ

Instead of spending your money on shit, use it to travel to almost every other country beyond the U.S. and see how many people are happy living on next to nothing.

25. Jester

Jester OT Supporter

I don't usually quote cheesy pop songs, but "It's not about having what you want, it's about wanting what you have."

What's the point in basing all of your contentment on having the latest and greatest gear, when in a couple of years, it isn't as cool as it used to be, and even if it is, anyone can take it away from you?

That's the real downside of being too materialistic. What happens when your toys are old, broken, or gone? I think you're finding out now what happens...

As other people have said, concentrate on improving yourself in ways that are more permanent, and all the toys that you love will come with time, and even if they don't, you can still be more than content with your lot in life.