Everyone here should take sociology marriage and family

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by BradUF, Jul 6, 2007.

1. BradUF

BradUF Guest

I didn't mean to sign up for the class but it is a bad ass class. It teaches all the stuff that is talked about on this forum everyday but you really learn how it all works because it is enforced by homework. I had to withdraw from the class because I had the requirements met in that area of study but I wish I could have stayed.

The first day our professor talked about asserting yourself and about not getting pushed around. These professors really do know their shit about this area. If I would have never accidentally signed up for the class I would have thought the class was about BS but its not. It really is a great class for helping you with relationships.

2. ware_ru

ware_ru I know, I know, I'm amazing

sociologists and psychologists don't get laid. i'm going to stick to getting advice from and watching people who do

3. lauren

lauren Active Member

please, there are plenty of girls with a professor fetish. :rofl:

are you saying academics arent sexy?

4. BradUF

BradUF Guest

They don't?

5. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

I've always felt (after being a psych/communication major) that it is imperative that some sort of sociology class be a requirement for every single major. Because Engineers, Computer Science, and all those other majors that barely deal with human interaction never truly teach any of their students how to fucking talk and deal with other people; it blows my mind. And people wonder why no one knows shit about the opposite sex!

6. lauren

lauren Active Member

:hsugh:

they are at the schools i'm familiar with (look at the gen ed requirement for fla schools, engineering isn't exactly exempt from that). and there is a lot of interaction in engineering, it is all group work.

7. BradUF

BradUF Guest

Yeah we are required to take gen physc, public speaking or something but not sociology marriage and family. It is under a diversity area and there a ton of classes easier then sociology. I am however taking just sociology I have not met my requirement in that area.

8. iwishyouwerebeer

Literally all of my friends have never taken anything other than maybe public speaking and 1 took basic psych for his major. Other than that the rest of them ask me constantly what my classes are like. They are all completely technical beings and lack in the department of understanding people and why they do things. They can tell me how to build a computer, dissect a whale, or teach me about electricity and how wires work....but if you ask them common emotions people feel they are fucking lost. I lend them my books sometimes and they've all said they wished they could take more indepth psych/communication classes for their majors.

9. ware_ru

you really think an academic experience in psychology is going to make them normal social beings? really?

You don't think most psych majors are normal social beings BEFORE they begin to take psych classes, and the psych classes have nothign to do with their development as socialites?

10. iwishyouwerebeer

Ummm, I never said anywhere in my posts that it would make them "normal." I just think it's pathetic how people get all the way through college without taking any kind of class that's ever really tested them on why humans do some of the things they do and think the way they think. It obviously can't hurt!

11. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

I'm almost done taking Sociology 121, and so far it's mostly an intro to positivism and the welfare/nanny state :dunno:

12. ware_ru

neither can a class in cooking... or cleaning... or driving a car... or...

i don't really understand why you're taking psychology to be such a special field except as a personal bias...

13. iwishyouwerebeer

I'm not graduating with a psych degree...because I then would have to get a Master's to do anything with it...instead I am getting a communications degree and going into the marketing/human resources field right after I graduate. My studies pretty much deal solely with human interaction, how people talk to one another, what they mean :mb:

I don't really get why you are attacking me. All I've been saying is it can't hurt people to take some sort of communication, sociology, psychology course once in their college careers. I'd like to think having a little bit of understanding about emotions and why we do certain things is more important than a cooking class, but that's just my opinion. I have known non-majors to take certain soc/psych classes and come out of it very excited, like they learned so much about themselves and how others feel.

14. ware_ru

i'm not attacking you man i just don't understand what the hell you're talking about lol. people who SELF-SELECT to take psych classes... of course they're going to be super excited to take it... people who are forced to take it probably won't. people who self-select to take history classes will learn a lot from them too, and people who are forced to take them probably won't. psych is no different from any other field. all that people need to know is that there ARE resources to help them with x y or z, and they will find them and use them if they are at that point in their lives. there are tons of people who are addicted to things like the vag, or self improvement seminars and self help and make no changes in their life... forcing people to take psych or anything else at a university level won't do anything more than would forcing people to take a class on analytical philosophy

15. ware_ru

and of course you're going to think that psych is a vital thing for people to know if you're super interested in it. you should know this better than anyone here. they've done studies and whenever people are asked to delineate a list of qualities that are important, people always happen to emphasize those qualities that they also see in themselves... come on kid

16. iwishyouwerebeer

I see what you are saying...and I'm still just saying that I feel they would be just as beneficial as other gen ed's :dunno: I've also had people in my classes who didn't necessarily want to be in the classes, or took it as a suggestion from a friend and they ended up really enjoying it. Like I said, I've had an industrial engineering friend sit in on a few of my classes and he said "I wish we got to take courses like this, all the people in my classes are total nerds who have no communication skills."

I get it buddy. I'm not a "man," or "kid." Don't stress yourself out because one person thinks some of these classes could benefit some people...

17. ware_ru

i dont get it. is psych class is going to solve this communication problem or not?

18. iwishyouwerebeer

Did you get raped by a psychology major once or something? Tell me how you really feel.

19. ware_ru

i did. she was cute. we email

...the problem i have with all of this is that all the academic shit that psychologists and sociologists push might be VERY rigorous academically - ther'e sno doubt that things like cognitive dissonance, cialdini's concepts of commitment and consistency (cialidini is the mother fucking $$$$ shit), and the myriad other things psychologists can put into fact is sometimes very very strong academically

the problem is that a lot of the time when they try to give theories of attraction, or of dating, or of how to be a more socially skilled person.. that shit hits WAY off the mark. Psychologists have been aroud for HUNDREDS of years man, that is PLENTY of time to have figured out a decent model of even GENERAL SOCIAL ATTRACTION that can be used to become a SOCIALLY ATTRACTIVE person. Siimilarly with sexual attraction.

unfortunately, this ideal ivory white tower world in which they live is NOT THE REAL WORLD. Without the extensive social experience that is REQUIRED to even BEGIN to tell people how to become better socially, they are only making people WORSE off - places like msn and match.com try to tell guys how to be better at dating by being a nice guy and buying her shit and waiting 3 days to call and waiting three dates to hug her - books like the Rules for women written by two ugly married chicks teach girls how to be good girls (read: be bitches)...

those things DO NOT APPLY IN THE REAL WORLD. But because they have degrees people give UNDESERVED credence to them

as of now, psych work belongs in the psych lab and treating the insane. they have little sucess in helping people live better lives compared to the self improvement gurus have them outwitted and outmatched by leaps and bounds

edit: it's in general symbolic of the complete disparity between what people give advice that they BELIEVE will work compared to actual things that give real world results. Tony Robbins has helped over 10 MILLION people providing results that people can easily implement to improve their lives. THAT is the kind of class that, if anything, should be required at university - one taught based on a system that can actually give real world improvement to people that is based on actual real world observable results instead of on theory that is 1000 years lagging behind any sort of functional, useable method as we have in psychology

Last edited: Jul 7, 2007
  20. ware_ru

i still want an answer to this question

21. BradUF

BradUF Guest

Gen Physc and sociology does give real world results. It is real world ideas backed by science.

22. lauren

lauren Active Member

you're required to take a behavioral perspective, and a socio-political perspective.... just as shallow as your math requirement. just because you have the formal academic knowledge doesn't make it any easier to apply it to real people.....that takes more in depth study, and one, two courses isn't going to provide.

:hsugh: how many engineering courses have you taken to come to this generalization?

and industrial engineering is people engineering. :mamoru:

23. lauren

lauren Active Member

and just an afterthought. your communications degree is what, 128 credits with your minor?

engineering is 138, without including a minor. what do you suggest gets removed to make space for a couple more classes?

it's not the universities responsibility to spoon feed every facet of education in regards to general education. it's supposed to be enough to give you a taste and direction, and interest you enough to go out on your own and learn more about what you touched on in class.

24. BradUF

BradUF Guest

Calc 2

25. ware_ru

see boys this is why you don't argue logically with girls. they get mad, leave the thread, and go fuck the mailman