Everyone, a moment of silence please for my mr2 turbo :(

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by ghettoraid, Jun 6, 2006.

1. ghettoraid

ghettoraid evil chairman kaga

Bleh. I've put a little under 9k on the car since purchase about a year ago. 1993 MR2 Turbo, 130k on chassis. Since then it's gotten timing belt/water pump/cam seals, exhaust, ebc, regular oil changes, more recently a new alt I spent 16h on diy, WITH assistance. I love this car + did the best I could.

Noticed oil in coolant, rushed over to mechanic to get his take on it, and to confirm that it was in fact oil. Yep. He said headgasket was likely gone, even though the engine exhibited none of the other symptoms.

After I got back, I figured I should do a compression test. Engine had always consumed oil a bit faster than average. Did not check out, but I hadn't done the test properly. I drove a bit more, saw a small puff of either steam or smoke after a proper beating-on, so back to my shop. Tuner/mechanic performed compression + leakdown tests. Compression was within spec, but leakdown :

1:30%
    2:45%
    3:20%
    4:20%

So it's on its way out. I've chosen to park the car rather than run it til it pops. If I went the "strand myself and call AAA" route, I could cause more damage and ruin additional parts.

Probably going with a gen3 clip. More power, revised parts - better flowing head, larger injectors, better turbo, etc. kkkali mog won't be fun, but it is doable. Plus I'll have a second LSD trans. Can hang on to mine as a backup. Rebuilding will cost nearly as much, but leave me with MANY old/worn parts. Either way I won't have the money for about 6-7 months though. I guess the car isn't dead, just in a coma?

Either way I'm crawling in my skin, these wounds they will not heal until late December/January. Pity me.

2. ghettoraid

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    mmmbuhhhhbyenow

Mechanic says the car HAD been overheated before, also that one of the PO's had used something called liquid aluminum to bandage a coolant system leak. I've never seen the needle over the halfway mark, which is normal for these cars. Says that this overheating probably started this ring issue. I'm sure my boosting didn't help either. Totally safe increase in power for the engine, wasn't overwhelming any system, intercooler being the main bottleneck.

3. zei20l

zei20l New Member

damn, sorry to hear the bad news. its a good excuse for an upgrade though :)

do they build the car around the engine? its tight as hell in there!!

4. ghettoraid

yeah tell me about it, alternator was such a bitch...

an update though, talked to another shop, not my usual one. Drop is going to cost HALF as much. Because I'd go with JDM Gen2 instead of 3, I'm looking at $3,100 instead of... probably close to double ... Will still want clutch/resurfacing, thats not too expensive though. Not some hole in the wall either, they specialize in MR2's, come highly reccommended, and a quasi-friend is getting his 600whp 2 done there as I type this. I just wish I had the money to fork over right now.

Won't get specific, my mechanic is a good guy/I've known him since he got started but... blood is not thicker than water here.

5. CraigEG

CraigEG New Member

Damn man, sorry to hear. My motor is leaking a bit of oil, I just don't have the funds to take care of it. I just try and keep track and add as needed.

I hope to soon enough get some funds saved up to rebuild it.

[​IMG]

1993 Turbo Sport-Roof/Black Cloth/LSD/Apex'i intake/H&R Sports.

I have a set of BRAND NEW 94+ tails in 93 red if you are interested. lol

Post up more pics as you get things for it!

6. ///M

///M New Member

good luck, im sure it'll be a beast once again.