SRS Ever wish you had talent? It seems like so many that I know have natural talent.....

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Paulie Walnuts, Apr 27, 2008.

1. Paulie Walnuts

Paulie Walnuts Im an agent of chaos

Whatever it may be. Some can draw, some can sing, some can play music. I really have no talent. I look at life and realize that there is nothing that I do exceptionally well except take up space. Anyone else ever feel that way?

2. Redbeard

Redbeard OT Supporter

You probably dont expirement enough to really know that you have "no talent". Work on that first, then come back to us. I will list some of the odd things I have enjoyed and/or failed at in my life.

"Trad" or traditional rock climbing
    House/Jungle DJ
    Back country Snow Biking
    Gold panning / gem collecting
    Drums
    Vertical Caving / Technical Spelunker
    Song writer
    widdling

Last edited: Apr 27, 2008
  3. Paulie Walnuts

Paulie Walnuts Im an agent of chaos

Yeah but see most have some natural talent, I have none. Im not good at anything. I thought I would be a good dad and that my point in life was to have a family to take care of and now thats gone.

4. Redbeard

Redbeard OT Supporter

Take off the blinders, the whole world is in front of you.

5. Original

Original OT Supporter

Doesn't always have to be an obvious talent like playing an instrument or knowing how to cook.

You can be a quick learner.. maybe you're good at telling stories.. or something you haven't found yet.

Everyone's good at something.. unless you sleep 24 hours a day.

6. Sirc

Sirc Dr. Hourse Crew #1

You've got to work at it man.

I'm pretty jealous of my little brother. He's a NATURALLY talented tennis player. I mean, his body is perfect for tennis. He's lanky, his reach is long, he can sprint and his arms are bowed just perfectly to play tennis. He rarely ever trains but he kicks the ass of every kid in the region.

I can do a lot of things, but I've had to work like a horse to be nearly as good with any of the things I can do. But it's my life's goal though, to just have a lot of skills. I like to learn how to do new things and I'm just naturally good at learning really fast. I try to force myself to learn at least 3 new skills a year. I set a goal and then my steps on how to achieve them.

For example, last year, I set my goal to learn how to speak spanish semi-fluently, weld and drive rally sprints. Those were my goals.

So I took spanish classes twice a week in the evenings. Then I went to one of my friends who is a welder and apprenticed him on the weekends for an hour or so. And I bought a AWD Civic for $150, played some rally simulation games then just went out and learned on private roads and went to rally cross when they had them.

I suffer from a lack of a social life, but it was important enough for me to learn those skills.

This year, I want to learn how to pick a lock, play the guitar, shoot a bow, and ride a horse. And I'm taking the appropriate steps to learning how to do that.

I've been doing this since I was 8 years old.

Things I know I'm very good at:

- Martial arts. I've been training since I was 8. Judo, Juijitsu, Tae Kwon do, Boxing, Muay Thai, kickboxing, wrestling.
    - Computers. I've been working in the IT field for about 5 years now dabbling in everything.
    - Driving. Auto-cross, track and rally for a few years now.
    - Welding. Played around and then seriously took on skills last year.
    - Art. Been doing sculpting since I was 11.
    - Woodworking. My grandfather was a very good woodworker, I have been doing it since I could hold a tool.
    - Acrobatics. Been doing gymnastics since I was 10.
    - Dancing. Ballet, Jazz, Tap, Hip-hop. I've been doing all of them since I was 14.
    - Singing. Was in choir all throughout school and had private lessons.
    - Calligraphy. My parents made me take calligraphy classes when I was young.
    - Ice skating. Parents put me in figure skating classes when I was 6, I skated for 2 years.
    - Swordsmanship. Been practicing everything from Fencing to Kendo since I was 10.

It's a lot of stuff and I have had to devote a LOT of time to all of it. Like I said, I don't have very much time for a social life because of it. But I enjoy learning all of these skills. If you aren't naturally talented then you have to really work hard at it.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2008
  7. dura

dura Guest

Aside from writing, fitness, and being all-around flexible with IT, I have nothing else going for me.

8. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

A friend explained the following recently and it seemed to adequately clarify some of my confusions throughout life. So think of intelligence as being on a scale from 1 to 10 with 10 being the highest, smartest people. (This explanation also applies to any talent).

Let’s say that at level 10 are the people that are truly gifted. These are the prodigies, the people that just have it. People with photographic memories, the musicians that are able to master an instrument at a very young age and others like Einstein that seem to have supernatural intelligence. There are many examples of these people throughout history but generally they are gifted well beyond normal levels of aptitude. They truly are the best of the best, even if they don’t fully utilize their talents throughout their life.

On the other end of the spectrum are the truly dense. These people exist at the 1 and perhaps even 2 on the scale. These are people that simply aren’t able to comprehend even the most basic logic. It’s unfortunate that people exist at these low levels but there are some that truly do. We can put the severely mentally retarded, those with physical injuries to the brain and anyone from Arkansas in this category. Ok…I’m just kidding about the people from Arkansas.

Then there are the people in between these two extremes. Looking at the top of this group, they would exist between 7 and 9 on this scale. These are people that have varying levels of intelligence and talents. Some are smarter than others and many seem to be truly gifted but one thing seems universal with this group, they have to work hard to realize their success. While their hard work and previous successes fuel more hard work and more successes, they do have to work really hard to get to the top.

For much of my life, I’ve confused those people in the 7 to 9 range with those in the 10 range. The good news, there’s lots of good news. First, most people will don’t and will never exists at the extremes. Next, we can reach much higher than we ever thought possible with hard work. Finally, don’t confuse those in the 7-9 range with those in the 10 range. Those in the 7-9 range simply worked very hard to get to those levels.

9. Devoidarex

Devoidarex Rexversusu v.2.0

I play guitar at an intermediate level, but would definitely ask the genie (you know, three wishes) to give me musical talent to play just about any instrument expertly. To me, that would be one of the greatest things I could hope for.

I'd also wish I had more talent as an author, and was able to write novels and make a good living doing it. Few things make me more envious than reading an excellent book, knowing that I just couldn't put one together myself.

I also wish I had a talent for language. I think it would be amazing to be able to speak numerous languages fluently.

10. Coottie

Thomas Edison once said, "Innovation is 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration".....or something like that....at least I think it was Edison.

Ok...well someone, somewhere in history once said something like that and if they didn't, someone should have......so I've done so now.....so there. :)

11. Turboegt

Turboegt New Member

There is no such thing as talent.

Only people who practice more than someone else.

While you're busy jerking off they're probably busy drawing\doing whatever it is they're good at.

12. Coottie

That doesn't explain prodigies....like kids that are 5 years old playing the violin better than professional musicians.

13. djshotglass

djshotglass New Member

If you don't have a natural talent you have to create your talent like the rest of us. I started learning to program in middle school and today I run my own business because of it. I didn't have a natural talent for programming (unless you count being highly logical and/or mostly using the left side of my brain) and I just put a lot of hard work into it and became pretty good at it. I just decided to focus on something that I was interested in. Do you have any hobbies?

It always makes me laugh when people tell me that I'm lucky to be self employed. There was no luck involved, only hard work.

14. Coottie

You know what they say, luck is the coming together of preparation and opportunity.

My brother is insanely successful yet I hear so many people say he's lucky. Fuck that, he was sacrificing and working his ass off while they were in the bars drinking away their college years.

15. Fuzion

Fuzion heaven and hell

ya im in the same boat.

i feel my best talent is just being bad at everything.

:mamoru:

16. tenxia

tenxia OT Supporter

I wish i knew my talent...

17. Reukie

Reukie ...

Thread starter just mentioned my talent: taking up space. And I take up a LOT of space.

Just kidding, I have no talent. Even at taking up space. And I have nothing going for me at the moment.

18. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

I find it's more rewarding to learn a talent, rather than just being born with one.

I naturally have a very nice singing voice, but I don't do anything with it. Sure it's handy when I show off here and there for friends at karaoke or some bullshit, but other than that my singing doesn't define me.

I'd be much prouder of myself if I had no clue how to play guitar and I made myself learn.

19. eXyle

eXyle ׂ

sort of, but only because that means i can be really really good at something without even trying or putting in any effort. it allows me to be lazy and not come off as such. on the other hand, those that tend to have a natural knack for things, tend to do them more often, so they're practicing that skill set a lot as well.

then again, i've never tried to just be good in one area. i'm sort of a "jack of all trades, master of none". i like having a bit of knowledge about everything and being able to hold my own in any given arena. it allows me to blend in and experience a bunch of different things, which is part of the reason why i'm trying out new things to begin with. if i come across something i like to become good at, then i try out and at least become decent in that arena. same thing applies to stuff that i realize i don't know, i'll do my best to learn about it.

it could be arrogance, but i feel that if i really apply myself to one area, i'll become really good at it. perhaps not on the level of a prodigy or expert, but above average at the very least. it's just that i really have no interest in reaching that level in most areas of life.