SRS Ever wish you could start your life over?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by BadKat, Jun 17, 2008.

1. BadKat

BadKat GIVE ME WINE!!

I'm not talking completely, but to be able to take all the knowledge that you've accumulated over the years and go back to, say 16 or 18 and do things differently?

Right now I just wish I could start over. Go back to 18 and make better decisions in regards to my life and things that have since affected my future. Granted, there's some things I wouldn't want to change (like having my daughter) but so much more I wish had never happened, or that I had not chosen to do.

I'm not alone in that, am I?

2. Welsh0913

Welsh0913 OT Supporter

All the time. I would've done a lot of things different. I dont like thinking about it because I know that there's nothing that I can do to change it. Best thing, as cliche as this may sounds, is to move on and learn. I mean how old are you now? It's not too late

3. bluefox1081

bluefox1081 New Member

Shit, I wish I could just go back to last March.

4. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

A few years ago when I was having a hard time I wished I could start over...but now? Hell no. I've made very conscious decisions about everything and for the past few years have made all excellent decisions. Now I'm extremely happy with my life and wouldn't change a thing. All my past small mistakes lead me here.

5. BadKat

BadKat GIVE ME WINE!!

I know that the potential is there, right in front of my face, to be very VERY happy. It's getting through these next couple of weeks that's making everything so difficult, to the point where I'm just like :ugh: "Can I start over?"

I just need to get through the next couple of days (which will be the worst of it, hopefully) and then the next few weeks and all will be well.

6. Vysion

Vysion New Member

No, you're not alone. A lot of people feel this way. But you have to remember that the mistakes we make and the events that occur in our lives are what molds us into the person we become.

Making mistakes is how you know you are truly living life. Hindsight is 20/20.

7. iwishyouwerebeer

I find getting through the hardest times makes you realize how strong you are and that you can get through anything.

8. BadKat

BadKat GIVE ME WINE!!

I'm hoping that's how it's going to work. I remember the last time I went through something like this...it was extremely difficult on me but I had the support of my family. This time around, I'm all alone. My family is on the other side of the country :wtc:

9. iwishyouwerebeer

Can I ask what's going on in particular? Does it have to do with the husband or your kid?

10. Amanda Ann

Amanda Ann New Member

I used to wish I could re-do things that I had once done, but truth be told, those mistakes/regrets are what made me who I am today. That's something I would not trade for the world. I've learned a lot of things the hard way, but that's shaped the way I perceive life these days.

11. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

I used to want that when I was 12 but not now. It'd be way too much reliving to do. I'd be happy to go back a week and win the lottery though.

12. KatWoman

KatWoman •••••••••••

I think we all wish that to a certain extent. I would have been wiser and smarter with my money, finished school etc. On the other hand, the mistakes and lessons learned have led me to where I am now and I am pretty happy with that for the most part. Through having been through certain things with certain people I did learn what kind of person to become, and also what kind of person NOT to become. Who knows where/what I'd be doing if I could change things, but would I be happy? I don't know for sure. I believe it's never too late to get your life on track to where you want it if you're not happy in your current state :)

13. Muerte_X

Muerte_X Don't Fear The Reaper

I've thought about it, and sure there's a few things that i'd think I'd like to change. But at the same time those things made me who I am right now, and I'm happy with it. I don't think I would know the same people I do now if I did those things differently, and I'm not sure it would be worth it, honestly.

14. Dodger Blue

Dodger Blue OT Supporter

All the time and thinking about this is what depresses me. I wish I could just go back to 5-6 years ago and focus on stuff better, i.e. college.

I am glad I didn't go straight to college after high school because I experienced and learned a lot my first couple years out so I wouldn't want to think of what life is like without that knowledge and experiences. But the last 5 years of my life seem like such a failure.

15. eXyle

eXyle ׂ

um, sort of. not in a start-over kind of way since i don't regret much of what i've done. everything i've done up until now has made me who i am today and i like who i am.

it's more a mental masterbation thing. take all that i know now and go back to high school and see if i behave any differently. or go back to my freshman year of college and select the dorms instead of the suites. more "what if" scenarios than anything. i think of it as a butterfly effect, if i had done something else, what would my life be like today? other than that, i think it'd be cool knowing what i know now back then. like school would be a lot easier and so forth.

so, to answer the question, no, not in the desire to change my past sort of way, but yes as in the i'm bored, let's play in my mind for a bit way. haha, if that makes any sense.

16. BadKat

BadKat GIVE ME WINE!!

I just feel like I'm living someone else's life. That this isn't the life I'm supposed to have. And just when I feel that what I want, what I know will make me happy is within reach, I trip, I fall flat on my face and I'm done for. Then it's a matter of picking myself back up all over again.

17. Vysion

Vysion New Member

You just described life in 2 sentences... :)

But why are you fighting against it? Why not "flow" with it and build yourself?

18. BadKat

BadKat GIVE ME WINE!!

I'm not fighting it, it's usually other influences and the circumstances that prevent it from happening.

It's long and complicated, I'm just feeling really down and off-kilter currently with what's going on (between my impending divorce and current relationship). I've just been thinking how different things would be if I could have done things over years ago.

19. WingZer0

WingZer0 New Member

I wish life had a restart button!!! I would keep hitting it ti'll I was happy

20. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

As I've gotten older, I DO have regrets and if I could go back, I might do it so that I could do things differently...but I'm not sure about that. I mean HS was OK but I'm having much more fun now.

21. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Yeah but you got to experience other things that you would not have experienced had you gone away to college. In fact, had you gone away to college, I would bet that you'd be in here saying, "I would NOT have gone away to college because while I met a lot of people, I missed a lot of things that went on in my hometown."

For me, when I'm thinking about all those things I missed out on, I'm usually thinking about them in the most favorable way. It's like some alternate universe where I have all good and no bad. There's no stress, there's no struggle, only good stuff.

I had an experience that drove this home to me once. I had always loved a particular car. I would sit up at night and imagine all the ways I would feel driving it. Fast forward 15 years and I'm driving a car that by all accounts is better than the car I was imagining myself in yet I wasn't having all those emotions I had when I was a kid.

It was then that I realized what I had been doing, and that I still do quite often, I romanticize the past and future.

I don't know why I do this but it's kind of a reoccurring theme in my life. When it happens now I just take a step back and laugh at myself.

22. RebootEnzo

RebootEnzo New Member

I wish I could unfuck up my transcript.

23. Saluki

Saluki New Member

Part of me wishes I could do that...but my big change would be attending the private school (very good military academy where 100% of the students get accepted to 4 year universities) my lil' brother went to, but by doing that I wouldn't have gone to community college meaning I wouldn't have met one of the best friends I've ever had...

My life would be different and maybe "better" but I don't think if I was given the choice I would actually do it, I'd rather work harder now to get to where I could've been than to not have met her...

24. Saluki

Saluki New Member

Haha yeah same here...I wish I could go back to my first year at CC and kick my ass before my first class and get things under control.

25. Ghost of Swayze

Ghost of Swayze Ofcourse you mad

Honestly I wish I woke up and was 12 years old again so i can play baseball carefree. As a kid its truly the best times in life.

But i would not mind stepping foot in junior high/high school and scoop up all the ladies again with all the know how