Ever since the last time i reformatted my computer

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Gen0c1de, Jun 10, 2005.

1. Gen0c1de

Gen0c1de Kush'd Out Since I Was Push'd Out

i havent been able to play any games. i can install them but as soon as i try to run them it tells me i have the wrong disc inserted. does anyone have any idea what is going on?

2. dimins

dimins I'll bring the beers ... OT Supporter

that's odd ... did you upgrade anything? I read in a few places that Securom causes this problem with a lot of games and newer CD and DVD drives. I'd say try updating firmware and drivers then trying this:

3. Gen0c1de

thanks man. ill try that.

4. Missile Command Kid

Missile Command Kid New Member

If you've got legal copies of these games, I see no reason why you couldn't legally use a nocd, which would avoid the securom issue altogether. Have you tried using them to see if that makes a difference? Much quicker than flashing your hardware & less risky.

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you're just dumb. Owning the cd or not does NOT give you the right to use a nocd. Circumventing DRM/copy-protection features is not legal, no matter how you slice it.

You can argue "fair-play" all you want, but it isn't law.

6. Missile Command Kid

Typical Yank. You think that everybody who posts here is from the US and is bound by your laws? And tell me, sir, when was the last time somebody was either fined or arrested for using a nocd, even in the US?

I can't believe you people put up with this guy and his arrogance. Thank goodness OT has an ignore feature.

7. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

If the game was written in the US, then it is subject to the copyright laws in the US.

8. Missile Command Kid

So a citizen of Sweden would be charged under US copyright law for using a nocd if the game was produced in the US? Think about it.

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you enter a legally binding contract when you accept the terms of service during installation. Doesn't matter where you are.

10. Missile Command Kid

11. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

so you're going to quote the opinion of the person facilitating the theft? Riiiiiiight.

And I see you're from canada... figures.

12. Missile Command Kid

If you seriously think that the DMCA, an American law, is applicable outside of the US, you've got a serious problem. Do you have any knowledge of international law? Do you seriously think that a law can be passed in the US and have it be applicable in Zimbabwe or Peru?

Every time you post something, you look more and more like a thirteen year old kid who seriously doesn't have a clue about what's going on outside of his own basement. You're wrong. Time to accept that, son.

13. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

:rofl:

Look bitch, every respectible country makes theft illigal. I really don't give a fuck about zimbabwe or peru. I could care less if we bombed their asses off the planet. Fuck em. So how about you take your liberal views and just fucking keep them to yourself. I have the decency to RESPECT a developers efforts, and not STEAL from them.

14. Gen0c1de

:hsugh: thread highjack

15. Missile Command Kid

It's not "theft" to use a nocd if you've already got a legal copy of the game. At worst it's copyright infringement, but I sincerely doubt that you'd get a *fine* in the US, much less jail time.

If only you knew how many things in your house was produced outside of the US (like the computer you're currently using, for staters), I think you'd have a more enlightened view of the world outside of your borders. I know that all Americans aren't like you, but people like you are the reason that Americans are viewed as idiots throughout the rest of the world.

Why should I keep my opinions to myself? Do you think that yours are more valid than mine? From this post and others I've read in the short time I've been here, I sincerely believe that you have no idea what the word "respect" means (I'm surprised that you can even spell it; must have been a spelling word of the week from your language arts class, hmm?) You're not going to intimidate me into silence by cursing and insulting me. The fact of the matter is, you're wrong, and no amount of foul language is going to change that.

Sorry. A nocd is an ethically sound option that you should definitely look into. PM me if you're interested.

16. stealing...

If he was stealing from them, he would have mentioned that he was trying to play a game he downloaded from warez site. Having the real CD means that he payed the retailer, and the developer, in turn gets money. He has in no way stolen from them. I believe it would be his right to be able to use a product he has legally purchased. As well, a nocd would help preserve the disc(s) in question as he no longer has to use them to operate the game.

17. Missile Command Kid

THANK you!

18. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Again, you are arguing "Fair Use". However, this is NOT THE LAW. The law states that circumventing copyright protection (such as a CD-check) is ILLEGAL. You can back it up however you want, the law is the law.

19. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

get out of my province you tool.

20. Penetration

Penetration OT Supporter

Jolly please just shut the fuck up already. Everyone is well aware of what is "technically" legal and what is not. If you are so very concerned with repeating it like a broken record, I suggest you contact Fazle and request him put a header on the C&P forum. Or make a thread about it and request it to be stickied, so you can then /yourself, since you offer much more pessemism than actual appreciated advice. PS: I am Canadian, and better than you.

21. Missile Command Kid

Wow. No, really, wow.

22. Penetration

Penetration OT Supporter

Really, get the fuck out bitch.

23. Missile Command Kid

I've already said I'm not going to be cowed by jolly, so what makes you think you're any more special? Swear all you want; I'm not going anywhere.

24. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

You can think whatever you want. It doesn't make it true. :mamoru:

25. Intuit

Intuit New Member

Unfortunately people like him are the most vocal (and dominant) in the United States right now. I apologize for his views, as well as those held by our current President. It doesn't take long for him or our President to put together their opinions... and that is part of the reason why it is heard most often.