Ever shoot for a certain length of time when doing sets?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by disblohs, Jul 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. disblohs

disblohs I can't shake this little feeling I'll never get a

My calves suck so I'm trying some different things with them and one of the things I tried today was doing seated calf raises with a lighter weight for 2 minute long sets. Every eccentric portion of the movement was done extremely slowly so I probably ended up getting only 6-7 reps, but the set took 2 minutes.

Ever tried anything like that and what kind of results did you see?

2. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

A know a few PLers do it for recovery work

3. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

There's a certain school of thought that pays attention to time under tension (TUT) instead of a certain number of reps. So rather than "yeah I did 8 reps" or whatever, it's "yeah I did reps for 45 seconds" or whatever TUT you're going for.

That being said, 2 minutes is a long set! How sore were you the next day?

4. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

did your calves seize up hard as hell after that? my shit would be relentless.

5. disblohs

Well, the next day is today and they aren't sore at all. My legs usually aren't sore the next day after a workout, but are sore as hell the second, third, and fourth day after a workout. So we'll see how it is tomorrow.

6. disblohs

During the second set at about the 90 second mark my calves were buring like hell. Standing up after that set was comical; I could barely walk.

7. CPop

CPop New Member

Maine said it; sometimes I do it for recovery/rehab purposes.

8. JeremyD

JeremyD New Member

I do it on the hammer preacher curl machine. 2 minutes of constant tension puts me in some serious pain. Not sure if it's making a difference, but they're incredibly pumped afterwards.

9. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Based on the fact that you were even able to do the set for 2 min, the weight couldn't have been that heavy. But at the same time, a 2 min set is a lot of volume, so I'm curious to see how your results are. I suspect that higher volume would be more effective for calves based on the following 1) your calves carry you around all day and are already used to high volume of work, and 2) fat people typically have huge calves, even after they diet down, and all they do is carry their heavy bodies around all day (high volume).

All I know is, like Skeletor said, my calves would seize up like no other if I tried that workout out of the blue :noes:

10. CPop

CPop New Member

Falconer;

You perhaps misunderstand. I'm not sure what "disblohs" is doing, but the way the powerlifters do a weight for time is NOT doing constant reps. You do a rep, wait 5-10 seconds, do another one, etc. It isn't continuous rep work, but you still need pretty light weight anyway. I did overhead DB work with the 35lb db's and my best seated mil is 315. The 35's were a serious pain in the ass. I have no idea how many reps I did in 3 minutes, quite a few, but the point is to flood the muscles involved with blood. It works. I wouldn't do it for strength, but it's a decent enough strength/rehab movement. Not fun to do.

11. bigdamray

bigdamray New Member

I did timed sets when I was bb. Leg extensions for 1.5 inutes, squats for 3 minutes ect... Fucking BRUTAL!!

12. disblohs

Yeah, the weight was definitely light. I had done heavy smitch machine standing calf raises beforehand and tried this out afterward. Keep in mind though that a large portion of the 2 minutes was spent on the eccentric portion of the movement. I only held for 3-4 seconds at the end of the concentric portion.

I was fat before and have tiny calves. :hs:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.