Ever heard of soundstream?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Ronin, Aug 29, 2005.

1. Ronin

Ronin Guest

I saw some xB with a shit load of soundstream stuff

wondering if its a good company.

2. p00tan6

p00tan6 New Member

Yeah, the old soundstream was a good company with really good products, but the new soundstream sucks ass.

3. mr_belvedere

mr_belvedere New Member

They used to make an SPL Mule back in my high school days. I am posting a description of the subwoofer and a link to Car Audio Magazine, where it was put up against 3 other woofers.

SPL Mule Background & Description as provided by Car Audio Magazine

Introduced in 1998, the Soundstream SPL Mule series of car subwoofers has been field proven for going on three years. Unlike the other three woofers in this comparison, the SPL Mule is built on a silver painted heavy steel stamped frame as opposed to a cast aluminum frame. This frame was designed for long rearward excursion and has 38.1 mm between the spider mounting flange and the rear of the frame.

Soundstream employed a dual stacked ferrite magnet motor for the SPL Mule that incorporates a T-yoke backplate/pole assembly. Both T-yoke and front plate have a black emissive coating to increase cooling. Also unlike the other woofers in this comparison, the SPL does not use a rear "bumpout." However, Soundstream does use a very interesting device that takes the shape of an aluminum ring spacer between the frontplate and the frame that also lines the gap area. Not only does this unique device wick serious amounts of heat away from the motor area; it also functions as a shorting ring that lowers harmonic distortion (although mostly out of the normal subwoofer bandwidth). An aluminum pole extension also provides for efficient voice coil cooling as well as the usual function of increasing the motor fringe field symmetry and acting as a voice coil guide. For additional cooling, the "Mule" also has a 15/16" diameter pole vent.

The cone assembly of the SPL Mule includes a stiff coated paper cone that is further stiffened by a very large 7" diameter flat hard poly dustcap with the SPL Mule "kicking ass" logo. A moderate sized polyether foam surround (22 mm wide and 12 mm high) connects the cone to the frame with the remaining compliance provided by a 7" diameter cotton progressive type spider. For rear mounting, the SPL Mule has a laser cut MDF gasket with a foam surface.

Link to Comparison Testing: http://www.caraudiomag.com/specialfeatures/0107cae_subwoofer02/

EDIT: Added attribution to Car Audio Magzine for Description

4. Ronin

Ronin Guest

Hm so they used to be a good solid old school company but now they are getting a bit weak? alrighty

5. mr_belvedere

mr_belvedere New Member

Don't take this the wrong way but when I see your avatar combined with your response it makes me think that Dennis Leary is actually saying what you type. It's so weird but cool. I'm weird.

6. Ronin

Ronin Guest

Dennis Leary is awesome, i like his attitude and the way he is, it's awesome :cool:

7. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

btw, Soundstream is now owned by Power Acoustik

8. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

I'd rock a Human Reign :coold:. That amp is so weird, but awesome at the same time. It talking on their old site used to creep me out; it about scared me the first time I saw it.

9. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

Soundstream isn't that bad, its just not as good as they used to be. The upper line is still made by the soundstream company, and Power Acoustik has the power to veto them if they need to.

10. DaddyThirdLeg

DaddyThirdLeg SMASH puny humans

looks kinda shady to me
    the 1000-2 is rated for:
    1000 x 1 rms @ 4 or 2 ohms mono, class A/B design
    but only has an 80 amp fuse? doesn't seem to add up