Ever hear of Sodium bicarbonate/baking soda as a supplement?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Hpower, Jul 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hpower

Hpower GO GATORS

The gym at my school has different information on things pertaining to working out and stuff and I read one write up on sodium bicarb as a supplement. It basically said that adding bicarbonate combate the lactic acid build up in endurance exercises that last something like 45 seconds to 7 minutes. It said the average dose was 4 table spoons but to start with one and work your way up. So has anyone tried this or heard anything about it. In theory it sounds good but I worry about water retention and messing with my electrolytes.

2. Hpower

Hpower GO GATORS

After posting I decided to try and research myself here is some of the stuff I found:

PURPOSE: The aim of this study was to determine the effects of sodium bicarbonate ingestion on prolonged intermittent exercise and performance. METHODS: Eight healthy male subjects (mean +/- SD: age 25.4 +/- 6.4 yr, mass 70.9 +/- 5.1 kg, height 179 +/- 7 cm, VO(2max) 4.21 +/- 0.51 L.min-1) volunteered for the study, which had received ethical approval. Subjects undertook two 30-min intermittent cycling trials (repeated 3-min blocks; 90 s at 40% VO(2max), 60 s at 60% VO(2max), 14-s maximal sprint, 16-s rest) after ingestion of either sodium bicarbonate (NaHCO(3); 0.3 g.kg-1) or sodium chloride (NaCl; 0.045 g x kg(-1). Expired air, blood lactate (BLa), bicarbonate (HCO(3)-), and pH were measured at rest, 30 and 60 min postingestion, and during the 40% VO(2max) component of exercise (4, 10, 16, and 29 min). RESULTS: After ingestion, pH increased from rest to 7.46 +/- 0.03 and 7.40 +/- 0.01 for NaHCO(3) and NaCl, respectively (main effect for time and trial; P < 0.05). Values decreased at 15 min of exercise to 7.30 +/- 0.07 and 7.21 +/- 0.06, respectively, remaining at similar levels until the end of exercise. BLa peaked at 15 min (12.03 +/- 4.31 and 10.00 +/- 2.58 mmol.L-1, for NaHCO(3) and NaCl, respectively; P > 0.05) remaining elevated until the end of exercise (P < 0.05). Peak power expressed relative to sprint 1 demonstrated a significant main effect between trials (P < 0.05). Sprint 2 increased by 11.5 +/- 5% and 1.8 +/- 9.5% for NaHCO(3) and NaCl, respectively. During NaHCO(3), sprint 8 remained similar to sprint 1 (0.2 +/- 17%), whereas a decrease was observed during NaCl (-10.0 +/- 16.0%). CONCLUSION: The results of this study suggest that ingestion of NaHCO(3) improves sprint performance during prolonged intermittent cycling.

3. Hpower

Hpower GO GATORS

Found this also, so not sure what to think:

Department of Health and Human Performance, Auburn University, AL 36849-5323.

Six weight trained males were studied prior to, during, and in recovery from exhaustive resistance exercise, 105 min after ingesting 300 mg.kg-1 of either a placebo or NaHCO3. The exercise test consisted of four sets of 12 repetitions with a fifth set to volitional fatigue on a Universal leg press machine at a resistance equaling approximately 70% of the subjects 1-repetition maximum. Arterialized venous blood was analyzed for lactate concentration, blood gas, and acid-base parameters. The ingestion of NaHCO3 produced a significant increase in resting pH (7.39 to 7.46), HCO3- (22.9 to 28.3 mEq.l-1), and oxygenated base excess (-1.3 to 4.4 mEq.l-1). With the completion of each exercise set, a progressive decline in the acid-base status of both groups was observed (pH set 1-5: NaHCO3, 7.40 to 7.31; placebo, 7.34 to 7.25; HCO3- set 1-5: NaHCO3, 25.3 to 17.9; placebo, 21.7 to 15.3 mEq.l-1; base excess set 1-5: NaHCO3, 3.7 to -7.1; placebo, -1.4 to -10.7 mEq.l-1); however, the NaHCO3 condition was significantly more alkaline than the placebo condition. Blood lactate concentration [La] progressively increased with the completion of each exercise set ([La] set 1-5: NaHCO3, 1.37 to 11.15; placebo, 1.31 to 9.81 mM); but were not significantly different between treatments. Repetitions performed in the final exercise set were not significantly different between groups (NaHCO3: 19.6 +/- 1.6, placebo: 18.2 +/- 1.1 repetitions).(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS)

4. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

this is called buffering. sometimes used in sports (where i heard of it).

sodium bicarbonate sometimes causes severe gastrointestinal problems. it is suggested to instead use TUMS (calcium carbonate) instead.

read this website link

i wouldn't suggest it as a daily supplement though, *shrug*

5. Hpower

Hpower GO GATORS

no one else with info?

6. car ramrod

car ramrod I'm all highway

I've wondered the same thing. September Ironman has an article about bicarb as a supplement. Worth the read. It makes sense that a buildup of acid increases muscle breakdown.

7. jmezz

jmezz layin in bed stretchin my pumped quads for hours

3 years dude.

8. scent of a wookie

scent of a wookie OT Supporter

I've been taking BSN So-Explode for a couple months now

9. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

Was about to mention this too...
    One of the methods to keep your body's ph level from becoming too acidic.

10. 4cd-Air

4cd-Air Rape seemed like the next logical step

I have heard of people using it to lower their pH for maintanance purposes...just to fight the high acid content of their diets...

11. car ramrod

From what I read in the article, you have to make sure you don't take it with a protein meal, because of the acid release in the stomach. The citrate form (like in calcium magnesium citrate) sounds like an effective way to take it rather than just baking soda and water. Citrate can also help prevent kidney stones too.

12. car ramrod

13. Mass

Mass Active Member

yeah, all the guys on Top Chef are taking it

14. Hpower

Hpower GO GATORS

wow, forgot about this.

15. Lukkie

Lukkie OT Supporter

lol @ 2 year bump

but yeah, its a buffer and it is used by some athletes. start the dose low or you'll have massive diarrhea.

what im curious about is if it affects your body's natural buffering systems. ie, if you were to take this for a while, would your body naturally stop producing lactate buffers/enzymes

16. car ramrod

Oops. I read the date and not the year :mamoru:. The Ironman article got me interested in this.

3 year bump

17. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

http://ericcressey.blogspot.com/2007/10/quick-tip-from-kelly-baggett.html

18. Marix

Marix OT Supporter

I'd just use beta alanine

19. BlackIce72

BlackIce72 New Member

Otto Warburg, Nobel Prize

read up

Thread Status: