GUN Ever have to deal with anit-gun family members?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by THT, Apr 29, 2009.

1. THT

THT The easy way is always mined

Ever have to deal with anti-gun family members?

So as some of you are aware, I run a small business selling firearms accessories in addition to holding a normal job during the day. I'm the only person in my family who's ever even handled a firearm. My family looks down on serving in any branch of the armed forces and believes all things related to guns are bad. My grandfather believes my legitimate business will morph into slinging drugs because the patrons of both are one and the same. I am judged routinely through glares and other passive-aggressive gestures. It's gotten to the point where I am tired of trying to explain that my business is no different than any other retail e-business but they can't see beyond the link to the firearms.

Sadly, there are a few neutral parties (mostly my dad and sister) that are getting flak for failing to throw stones. I'm about ready to file papers and legally separate from my family if this shit keeps up.

ibtl;dr
    ibcliffs
    ibmovetoasylum
    ibwhat'sananit?

Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
  2. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

my mom, and pretty much my entire family on my moms side :hs:

3. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

DOESN'T FALL FAR FROM THE TREE AM I RITE!!1 LOLOL

4. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

i don't talk guns to people i know are anti

5. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

6. PC Principle

PC Principle New Member

That sucks dude.

Everyone in my family has at least 5 guns a piece.

7. AustinL911

AustinL911 Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator

My mom's not anti-gun, she's just not into them. My father used to have his FFL back in the 80's, but let it lapse. He's always been into them, but seemed to lose interest in them over the years. However, since I've renewed my interest in them in the past few years, he has too, 10 fold. I think he buys about 3-4 guns/month now. We almost have a bit of a contest going with who can buy the most, or the coolest shit. I win the coolness award, but he slaughters me on quantity.

My father's side of the family is a bunch of rednecks and naturally have no problems with firearms. My mother's side is about like she is; neutral.

If I had family members that gave me the kind of flak you're going through, I'd probably just tell them to mind their own fucking business, and cut off most contact with them.

8. THT

I'm starting to agree with you
    That's sort of what I'm doing. Unfortunately, there are casualties that I care about, namely my dad.

9. PC Principle

PC Principle New Member

No offense but they seem kind of irrational. Perhaps have an intervention?

10. THT

None taken. I have called them out on being irrational and illogical. For instance, my grandfather and I had a couple conversations about guns and each of his "I feel" and "I think" comments were countered with data yet he clings to his beliefs.

11. PC Principle

PC Principle New Member

Set up something where you lure a few of them into a room where you and a bunch of your pro gun shooting friends are waiting at. Then show them that there are all kinds of people from all different parts of society that enjoy guns.

12. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

tell your dad to stop acting like a gaping vagina

13. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

like a bunch of white guys :bowdown:

14. THT

The closest family member to me nine hours away. We're very geographically dispersed.

15. effwhy_sea

effwhy_sea New Member

my mom and sisters.

16. phoenixTX

phoenixTX New Member

All of my family is cool about guns. My wife is fine with them and I'm raising my girls properly as well.

My in-laws on the other hand.... my mother-in-law asked my wife why I felt that I needed all those 'big assault rifles'. She had never seen an AR in person!!

I went to the range last time she was in town and was cleaning some guns when my wife and MIL came home. Showed her just a standard M4 and then showed her my AR22 and then explained how the projectiles coming out of those is very small and weak as compared to her husband's old 30-06 hunting rifle (that he hasn't used in decades, probably due to her).

I think she's figuring out that aesthetics doesn't make it evil. Holy shit... common sense prevails!

17. Rip The Jacker

Rip The Jacker New Member

My mom just doesnt want me spending all my money on guns lol. I got m dad into guns.

My GF is ok with them, she'll probably get into shooting eventually. Her dad wants me to teach him how to shoot. I got into an argument with her brother because he came up with the typical "you dont need a gun" bullshit. he lives in DC, and before Heller came out was saying no way he would win. I dont talk to that fucker.

18. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

My sister is decidedly anti-gun. She was nervous about the soldiers patrolling airports after 9/11 because they were armed. Couldn't see past the fact that an airport terminal became the safest place in the US at that time because no one is going to start anything when there are squads of soldiers patrolling terminals with M16s and full combat gear. I've never really discussed it with her because she's two time zones away and I got into firearms some time after she moved.

If it ever comes up, I expect that I'll use some basic examples without pushing too hard. (You're running from a man that you know wants to hurt you and find a place to hide. Wouldn't you rather have a gun so that you can do something in case he finds you? I'm not saying you have to shoot him, but wouldn't you like to have an option if you're found?)

My mother used to be. Always claimed she was going to paste NRA business mail replies to a brick or something. Don't think she ever did (nor do I think that the family ever received such a solicitation). She's pretty middle-of-the-road on firearms, and given her newfound hostility towards the direction that government is taking these days may find herself mildly on the pro- side.

My father think more or less like I do - that it's a common-sense thing so long as you apply the "common sense" of about 40 years ago to the issue.

19. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

I would tattoo "SHUT THE FUCK UP" across the back of my hand and pimpslap accordingly.

*powders hand*

*POW*

20. Radicus

Radicus OT Supporter

My brother gave me shit when he found out I applied for a CWP. He's a yuppie california cop. :hs:

21. Bloody Sunday

Bloody Sunday OT Supporter

that punk lives in dc and thinks he doesn't need a gun? does he not venture far from his home.

22. blindarrow

blindarrow New Member

Sister is. Mother/Father/all grandparents aren't, nor are my uncles. Brother-in-law seems indifferent really, with anti tendencies due to my sister.

23. LancerV

Prob because he realized you had an ruger for a gun

24. Radicus

Radicus OT Supporter

Sure, no. He's being a typical cop worried a civilian is going to wrongly shoot someone.

25. LancerV

Or worried that in a self defense s hooting your gun will go fa and shoot innocent people.