Ever have one of those days...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by deusexaethera, May 13, 2008.

1. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

...when you find out you just ruined two $1000 computer-controlled powerstrips by plugging them into a backup battery that is unhelpfully-equipped with 110V sockets, which are in fact running at 220V?

Yeah.

2. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

No, but I once plugged a (guitar equipment) distortion pedal in with my amp's power brick. Damn things looked identical and I was drunk. Needless to say that pedal was very dead. Only worth $50 though.

3. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Find the madman who wired that up, and kick his ass.

It's what your boss would want you to do.

4. Doc Brown

I used to hang out at a Pizza shop my friend worked at.

One day he says, take a look at that plug (male end). Pick it up and look at it.

Right away, I knew he was setting me up, so no way I was touching it.

I follow the wire lead, and the other male end of it is plugged into the wall.

Some idiot had spliced in male and female plug ends onto a big fan's main lead for an extension.

But did it backwards, so that the extension wire had a male plug on both ends.

And the fan had a female plug on the end of it.

My buddy found out the hard way when he picked up the plug and wondered where it went..

:rofl:

5. Mr J

Mr J New Member

First PC I built had a power supply with euro and USA voltage (240v/110v) and I accidentally flicked it to 110.

BANG.

£700 ($1400) of PC fucked :rofl:

I was like 12, my dad was pissed off

6. Doc Brown

"what's this switch do?"

:rofl:

7. deusexaethera

Well, fortunately the company we inherited all this crap from bought an assload of these things; I just found two more, mint condition, not even dusty.

Still, it's bullshit. And I really don't think I can take on the entire employee population of American Power Conversion all at once, so ass-kicking is out the window.

C'est la vie. I guess I'll send these other ones back for service.

- - -

EDIT: What's so fucking stupid about this is, not only is the backup battery outputting 220V through 110V sockets, but the powerstrip designed for use with the backup battery is the only piece of equipment on the whole damned rack that can't autoswitch between 100V-240V! What kind of idiot designed this product? Now I have to go buy a step-down transformer.

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you might wanna talk to an electrician... because my understanding of 220V is that it's simply two "hots" 180 degrees out of phase from each other. You should be able to use one of those hots and neutral to get 110V. No transformer, needed.

9. deusexaethera

Theoretically, yes, but the UPS is designed to accept and provide 220V power. I don't think it would run properly if I cut the voltage in half by replacing one of the live wires with a ground wire.

10. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

as I said, talk to an electrician first... but i think it will work.

11. Bruticus

Bruticus half dead OT Supporter

What's with you two, actually trying to help each other without stabbing each other in the eye sockets?

12. Doc Brown

Well it's still going to ouput two wires 180 degrees out of phase with each other. (110v each)
    So all you have to do is disconnect one of them from the receptacle.

Just make sure you disconnect one of the hot wires and not the ground.

:squint:

13. deusexaethera

We fucked up and agreed on something a couple of days ago. I guess it was bound to happen eventually.

14. deusexaethera

I understand that part, but isn't it generally a bad idea to use the ground conductor as the primary neutral?

15. Doc Brown

Meh. They run into the same ground in the breaker panel.

16. deusexaethera

I thought the neutral ran to the center of the transformer coil and then to the ground, while the ground ran directly to the ground.

17. Doc Brown

Oh, you mean from the gear itself?

I meant the actual electrical outlet. What you plug into it, won't know the difference whether a wire is neutral or ground, since they both wind up at ground.

But I see what you mean. If there was some sort of failure inside of the transformer, you're wondering if that could cause problems?
    Maybe so, I don't know.

18. deusexaethera

Mostly I'm concerned about the potential for electrifying the outer shell of the UPS. The last thing I need to do is turn myself into a secondary ground conductor for a 3400watt power supply.

19. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

not rly. you must replace the removed hot with a neutral.

20. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

nope. They both are on the same block in the panel. Although code requires they be run seperate from the panel to the outlet, and I do not recommend sharing a conductor.

all of the bare-copper wires are grounds -- one being from the grounding rods, and the others from each circuit. The 14/12/10/8awg white or aluminum are neutrals from the circuits. The 4awg aluminum is the neutral from mains service.

[​IMG]

21. deusexaethera

Oh, okay.

Does electrical code where you live require that the ground also run up to the center of the transformer's output coil? The houses I've looked at around here are set up that way, to ensure the ground voltage is the same (or as close as possible) for the whole neighborhood. It can get pretty ridiculously dry here in the summer, and under those conditions the dirt just isn't a very good conductor.

22. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

no. Actually that's against National Electric Code (NEC) afaik. Of course, many areas do violate code, and contractors really just "do what they gotta do" to get signed off by the inspector. A friend of mine was an electrical contractor in cali and is now a general contractor in oregon. He has told me stories where pasadena required him to ground the electrical panel to the natural gas line (bad idea to me) but if you tried to ground the panel to the gas line in ventura you'd fail inspection.

But again, they both attach at the grounding block in the panel, so techincally there is continuity there. Of course you don't want to use a ground as a neutral down the line. For starters that would negate any benefit from gfci circuits. Furthermore, it can create unsafe grounding loops.

There is a 2-4awg aluminum neutral that runs from the panel (attached to the neutral/ground block) that will run to the transformer. Dryness generally only affects a foot or two of the earth. Deep down you should still have good ground. The resistance of a 4awg aluminum conduction of the 75+ feet needed to get from the panel to the transformer is likely to be greater than the net resistance of a proper earth ground.

Also consider that residential mains service is averaged at "115V AC"... But it can actually vary +/- 5V (110V ~ 120V AC). The small resistance poised by the earth for those hundred feet or so does not signifigantly affect the voltage given the tolerance of devices that operate on mains power. This isn't a microprocessor running on 1.5V or 3.3V where a small dip in power of just a fraction of a volt is going to cause stability issues... These devices can handle a few volts either way.

23. Doc Brown

I actually saw myself doing it that way in my head, but by the time I typed it up I didn't mention that part.

:o