GUN Ever had to clear your house/apt?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by RedDawg, Feb 4, 2008.

1. RedDawg

RedDawg Well-Known Member

I keep going back and forth with wanting to apply for a carry permit. Friday after work, i wish i had applied for it earlier. On days my g/f works mornings we'll car-pool. This friday we went to the mall after work for some shopping/dinner, and got home around 9. As soon as we opened the front door we were greeted with this scene:

[​IMG]

the bottom shelf of our entertainment center was shattered all over the floor. I had her stand by the open front door with the cell phone pre-dialed for 911 while i walked through the apt with a 15lb dumbell in my hand. Thankfully no one was in there, and how the glass broke is still a mystery. I was uneasy all night and got maybe 2hrs of restless sleep after i had placed a kitchen knife in the bedroom just-in-case.

2. controvert

controvert OT Supporter

Glad no one was hurt.

3. Goat

Goat That crack is really moreish

I think I'd honestly rather wait for the police than attempt to clear a house with a dumbbell. :o

4. 01_Cruiser

01_Cruiser An American Classic OT Supporter

what did you have sitting on the bottom shelf?

5. smartypants

smartypants New Member

Your ugly furniture committed seppuku.

6. .

7. :rofl:
    I have that same TV stand. It actually looks pretty nice.

8. RedDawg

there was nothing on the bottom shelf, makes it even stranger.

9. Finest

Finest OG #93

You had to clear the house because the bottom glass of your TV stand shattered?

Was your TV still there? If so, you didn't need to proceed any further. Especially with a dumbbell.

10. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

I've done room clearing drills before. Even if I had my AK, I'd rather wait and let the police handle it. Not only do they get paid for it, they will come in teams.

11. 993kgt

993kgt building an airplane whee

after 45minutes elapse :)

12. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

Not to mention the legal ramifications if you actually had to confront someone in the house.

Carrying a weapon or having one in the home for self defense is solely that, self defense. You are not supposed to go looking for trouble when you have a weapon and/or a permit.

In this case, you and your loved ones were safe outside the house and separated from any immediate danger. If you went in with a weapon and killed someone in the process you'd be in for a huge clusterfuck of a legal battle.

The only reason for weapons is to protect yourself or loved ones in IMMEDIATE danger. Short of being trapped in a house/apt with an intruder or having to go in because of a family member in the house and belief of immediate danger to them, the ONLY right thing to do is to back away, get to safety and let the police handle it, no matter how long it takes for them to get there. If someone comes running out of the house after you, then you can use force to defend yourself.

In this case, you should have dropped the dumbbell and just let the police handle it.

Dont go looking for trouble folks. Let the police handle it, but just be ready to defend yourself when the police cant and you have no other options.

13. 993kgt

not true, if he's on your property, it's self defense- we actually have a law here in georgia that clearly states that to be the case, it does not require that you retreat or make an effort to allude the danger/threat

do you live in canada or something?

14. It's the Castle Doctrine.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_Doctrine

15. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

Nope, in the good old USA and I think you'll find your GA law isnt really written to encourage pursuing someone into the home when there is no danger to people. Those laws generally are meant to allow you to protect yourself and property when someone enters your home while you are there.

Going after someone is not the point of self defense. Its to protect yourself and loved ones. There is zero reason to pursue someone into your house when you are safe and sound outside the house and you can wait for LE.

"Being on your property" and being totally safe and going after someone on your property are two different things.

Sorry, I'm a staunch supporter of the 2nd amendment and have my fair share of weapons. But I do not agree with the aggressive nature of trying to hunt someone down to simply protect some property that can easily be replaced if need be. Someone hiding in your house has the absolute upper hand on you if they are armed, I dont care how good you are or what your training is. There simply is no point to it and in regards to the law, I think you'd still have a heck of a fight on your hands to prove you were acting in self defense when entering your home to clear it. I think you'd be perceived as aggressive and looking for trouble in such a situation.

EDIT: And if you read the Castle Doctrine, its not absolute and varies state to state.

Additionally, there may be several requirements for it to be valid, such as being in immediate danger.

That is why I think its silly to try to go after someone when things can be replaced. You're much safer just letting LE handle it when you are not in immediate danger. The old saying "just because you can doesnt mean you should" comes to mind.

Anyway, my opinion and ymmv, but being outside a house and safe just makes sense to get somewhere safe and let LE handle it. Why go into danger without the need? Right or not, I'd rather not have to spend years of my life and all the money I have defending myself of it.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2008
  16. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Any pets? I've heard of glass shattering on its own before due to imperfections in it.

17. AB13

AB13 New Member

I'd have to agree with VW. Maybe when I was younger, I probably would have dove into that house looking for the "theif/intruder".

Nowadays I have too much to loose. As long as my family is safe, if I come home and see that, I'll happily retreat and allow my tax dollars to go to work if the situation is able.

But if I was at home already, I'd secure my family. Call for assistance and hold my ground.

I pray I'm never in that situation.

18. 993kgt

if you are inside my home, you are threatening my well being, my life savings, and my family. how do I know you're not an arsonist? how do I know you aren't holding someone at their will? What if you are raping someone you yanked off the street in my house?

Sorry man, I'll probably come after you and let the courts sort it out later

19. johnson

johnson New Member

How do you know if I have a gun aimed at the door ready to pull the trigger when you walk in?

20. david_4x4

david_4x4 New Member

I had to clear a garage one time. I just threw in an M18 smoke and waited by the door.

21. RedDawg

what's more likely, a piece of glass i've had for 3 years just randomly shattering on its own or someone shattering it while trying to move the TV?

22. RedDawg

no pets, i had that TV stand for 3 years. All i can think of is maybe an electrical surge went into the frame and shattered it :dunno: i have a power strip behind it for the 2 floor lamps.

23. RedDawg

if i lived in a large home i definetly would have called the cops instead of walking room to room but this is the floorplan for my apt.

[​IMG]

it took all of 20sec to make sure no one was there, but definetly an andrenaline rushing moment.

24. FusionZ06

FusionZ06 /\__/\__/\__0>

:hsugh:

I've cleared my house and my GF house on a few occasions. My buddy and I did it after my GF got home and the front door was wide open. I have plenty of training in clearing so it was quite fun :o

The worst part was when we entered the large dining room I heard a jingle, sounded like keys, I shined my light and it was her birdy :o playing in her cage :mamoru:

25. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

so let me ask this, was anything else out of place? your floor plan shows only one door, was it still locked? How about windows (especially if you were on the first floor) were they all still secure?

Someone could have tired to rob you but broken that and feared it was loud enough to attract attention and left.