Ever get harassed for owning/driving a SUV?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by tenchuninja, May 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tenchuninja

tenchuninja Guest

I went was out Friday night in downtown Portland, Oregon and parked my Jeep GC on the side of the street. When we were walking back to my jeep, I saw what looked like a ticket on my windshield. It actually said "Violation" on it. It turned out to be a flyer condemning SUV owners. Damned tree-huggers. The flyer was printed on pretty thick card stock too. How ironic.

I use my Jeep to go off roading and camping. If I had the money to own a second car for a daily driver, I would.

2. ShadowHunter

ShadowHunter Guest

Tree-hugging class-envying liberals is suck! :squint:

3. Nemesis_152

Nemesis_152 I'm a delicate desert flower from Arizona.

they have big truck envy, just like everyone who doesnt own one

4. SycoPhant

SycoPhant Get out my way

That's what you get for living in Oregon, land of hug-wanting trees :fawk:

5. Was there any info on it about their organization. maybe a URL or something. I would love to go screw with some eco-hippies.

6. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

We live in the only province that is against cutting emissions, so no, we don't get any flak for owning an SUV...

7. newsroom_can

newsroom_can Canada eh?

which Province is it?

8. newsroom_can

newsroom_can Canada eh?

never mind.. it is Alberta right?

9. Yail Bloor

Yail Bloor OT Supporter

not here. Everyone drives SUV's and big trucks. If anything, you will get harrassed for driving a sport compact :o

10. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

No harassment here, and my family's Jeep was stripped of it's emissions equipment. :big grin:

11. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

jsut by people on OT

12. Wolvrin704

Wolvrin704 Guest

You get harrassed no matter what Frog.

:bigthumb:

13. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

:fawk:

14. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

way to be constructive and lets see your baja bug tow or haul more than 2 peopel or listen to the radio sure its a great trail machine but ill bet my quad woudl hand it its ass on a trail so why nto compare apples to apples

kthnxbye

15. Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky 06 08 33 35 36

Actually, I'm not an extreme environmentalist, but still one. SUV's are ridiculously overused, the same with trucks. The other day I saw some grandma driving a F-350 alone with some groceries in the back....makes me sick.

I agree that sometimes they take it too far, and they just don't listen to common stupid human thought, but yeah. Both sides need to give on this one, if even just a little.

By the way, I own a Cherokee. Thanks.

16. Wolvrin704

Wolvrin704 Guest

Why do people blast on others for driving an SUV or big truck to get groceries???

You don't know them, that might be their only vehicle. I drive my F-150 to the store or anywhere else rather than my wifes Saturn. My truck is comfortable, gives me clearance to see over other vehicles and has plenty of room in back for my groceries. My wifes car has none of those conviniences. Its hard to get in and out of, its cramped, can't see over, under or around any other car on the road, and the trunk is so small I can't get much of anything in it.
    The only thing it has better is gas mileage but the store is only 1/2 mile down the road so who cares.

17. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

i dont give a hist about gas mialge there is no way in hell your baja bug will tow an enclosed race trailer a camper ect and if you can fit my sub box in with 4 peoeple tow a trailer turn on teh ac put your drink in a cup holder and ride like a caddy down the road then id take it over my suv for a trail vehicle yes they are great id just rather ahve a quad way more fun on the trails imo

and i dont see how a custom built trail vehilce is apples to apples to a vehicle engineered to be mainly driven on the raod

18. idontgiveashit

idontgiveashit I eat rice

and its a VW so, it doesnt really matter. Do you ever find yourself a moron for braggin on a VW bug with the fenders cut?

19. Jabberwocky

The store was not 1/2 mile away, the nearest grocery store is about 20 miles, easy.
    And I later saw the same woman in the truck in another city, 40 miles away....but it's besides the point.

If they're too poor to get another vehicle, perhaps it's because they have a huge gasguzzler like that sucking up income.

20. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

or maybe they dont give a shit about gas milage and liek to drive trucks

not every one cares about gas milage you know

i for one would rather have half teh gas mialge and have some thing with room in it then drive an econ box with exelent gas milage

and fuel=power no way around that sure it gets 23 mpg to bad it only has 100 hp

21. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

i think most of the peoepl in here would rather drive a turkc than a car its a simmple as that yes i coudl buy 3 vehilces do all the things my truck does kida well but why when i can drive my truck down teh raod tow a trailer go on a trail ect intead of chinging vehicels every time i do some thing differnt we get the point the baja is better off raod and ok to drive on a highway but its not what most peoepl want ill admit there kinda cool my niebor used to build them

and yes there could be more room in a car but you still cant see over trafic wile sitting in your car

an di ahve an s-10 yes its squeaky yes it rides rough but i coulnt be happier in it jsut turn up the stereo and all the squeakes go away and teh 400 olbs sub box makes the ride a little better to
    and i dont need sand in teh winter

22. Wolvrin704

Wolvrin704 Guest

People like me who like a truck because "we can see over traffic" don't have them just for traffic jams. I like to be able to see over traffic so I can see any upcoming problems, see upcoming streets and turnoffs better, see the flow of traffic better see around them darned SUV's better(oops did I say that?:) ).
    I don't go off road hardly ever personally; but that is because there are few places to go around here, I have little available time to go do so and I don't want to tear up my daily driver by going off road allot. For me I grew up with trucks and growing up in Michigan one learned to love that 4x4. I love the looks of a 4x4 and with the occasional heavy snow here that comes in very handy. I also own a house and have 2 kids, having a truck to haul stuff is a necessity. Not to mention trips where I have that huge trunk called the bed that holds everything I could possibly use or need.
    I don't want to argue this issue but it all comes down to a persons personal choice. I don't think less of the person buying a $28,000 Z71(hook me up with that great deal!) than I do of someone like yourself who drives a car everyday and has a Baja for offroad. Whatever works for you is fine by me.

23. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

i suck at 3 wheelers anything less than 4 will tip over if i think about ridig it. id also state teh fact taht i have cars to drive too but all fo them get worse gasmilage tahn my blazer does when it comes right donw to it its all personal choice my mom drives a suburban 4x4 she bought it becasue one its 4x4 and has teh ground clearnce to get out of our un plowed raods in teh winter 2 it has tons of room i can run and pcik up sheet os paly wood wiht it it can pull camper race trailer ect it seats 8 and has room for all there stuff

24. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

i never said the veiw was perfect but its much better thn startig at teh bumper of the car ahed of you yes you od have to check blind spots and use your mirrors

25. Jabberwocky

Learn to type.
    So what if people in the trucks don't care about mileage, I do. The world does. If they're some ignorant asshole who likes hogging two parking spots and needs a 8'' lifted truck to extend his penis - well whatever. Hopefully they'll go broke and can't afford to keep running at 12 mpg.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.