Even Valve is neglecting PC Gamers v.L4D2

Discussion in 'Gamers' Pulse' started by Wthermans, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Wthermans

Wthermans What does "New High Score" mean? Is that bad? Di

http://www.l4d.com/contest/

The "Dude Where's My Thumb" contest is back again and this time it's exclusive to 360 users. At least that's how the L4D blog paints this picture of PC despair. It appears Valve (one of the last few PC-loyal devs out there) is foregoing a contest prize for PC users.

PS, pay no mind the tidbit in the fine print about an AMD PC being valued at $2000 as this was the prize for L4D1's contest and it appears Valve is lazy and simply copy/pasted the disclaimer.

2. AKing

AKing It's like we've got each others backs

fuck valve. Seriously, they delay the release of call of duty for pc players. Then, those that pre ordered the l4d2 pc version had to wait 2 days after the demo got released on 360 first.

3. Lukkie

Lukkie OT Supporter

valve has been a piece of shit company for years.

wheres episode 3 you fucks?

i guess when you can pull an easy $50 per sale for whats essentially DLC for an already overrated game then go for it

4. Tan_Man

Tan_Man New Member

holy fuck you're right where the hell is episode 3??!?!?!

5. CheeseDanish

CheeseDanish OT Supporter

u mad

6. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

Exactly. "Episodic game" :bowrofl: :bowrofl: What a clusterfuck.

Gabe Newell last year: "New info about Episode 3 will be released once L4D is out"... oh wait, I guess Valve realized they had a cash cow on their hands and decided to pump out another sequel within a year instead of continuing the series which gave them the title of "Amazing PC developers" in the first place.

I'm just bitter from being blue-balled by the cliffhanger ending of Episode 2, I need the continuation of Half Life (and considering Portal seems to tie into Episode 3 as well, just makes the wait even worse)

7. Mr.Right

Mr.Right N2O

dunno. i have only played vavle stuff on consoles. half life 2 on xbox 1, and orange box and l4d on 360. and i actually paid for them.

8. W3rd

W3rd New Member

The funniest thing about Episode 3... it's an expansion to a 5 year old game, probably 7 by the time it's released

9. Wthermans

I played every Valve game on PC and I actually paid for them.

:bowdown: to the Valve that offered the HL2 Silver Package. The Orange Box was a fraction of what they used to offer and it makes me :wtc: to see the way even Valve has been shying away from giving PC users great deals.

I guess we can expect HL3 in 2015.

10. assclown

assclown Active Member

Valve has always sucked IMO. So overrated.

11. coronet

coronet Do Andriods Dream of Electric Sheep?

You guys are fucking livid that an "expansion pack" to an old game gets delayed, but bowdown to the prowess of Polyphony Digital when they tell you GT5 isn't coming this year, then the next, then the next...

Let's face it: GT has been the same game ALWAYS. New cars, new graphics, one or two new tracks. It doesn't innovate SHIT. But waiting of HL2E3, a truly innovative game on the horizon, you guys have motherfucking antz in the pantz!

12. assclown

assclown Active Member

Where the fuck did GT5 come from? :ugh:

13. W3rd

W3rd New Member

really :rofl:

14. Wthermans

Seriously. I understand the analogy he is going for but holy fucking fail of an execution.

Coronet, HL2 Episodes have always been rife with controversy. Many were perplexed about Valve's episodic content (myself included) and rather displeased about the short playtime compared to other games, but we were happy to trust Valve at their word when they said the episodes would come out more frequently than the previous two games.

I mean really, this is Valve we're talking about, makers/publishers of the arguably, genre-defining, masterpiece PC game (HL1), most popular MP game to this very day (CS), and developer of one of the most efficient graphic engines to this very day (Source). Who wouldn't trust these guys?

The problem came from the Episodes and their subsequent development. We were first promised yearly content in the form of Episodes which expanded to bi-yearly content (Episode 1 & 2). Now we're approaching Year 3 without a single word about the final piece of content (which ties up content we were presented in Episode 1 & 2). The most we have received at this point is a lowly piece of content art. And that information is almost a year old at this point. The episodes have gone from being "yearly updates" for Valve, to games on full development timelines that still only deliver fractional content compared to the predecessors they were originally compared to.

The whole thing reaks of development problems and lack of originality. Given the performance of Valve as a company and the way they have gone from creating original ideas on their own, to buying studios that create original ideas, I'm rather worried about what we can expect from their future. I sincerly hope I am wrong and they will release something that rivals the HL2 release (there is no better game deal to this day than the HL2 Silver Edition) or even The Orange Box release.

15. Lukkie

Lukkie OT Supporter

i dont give a fuck about yearly promises etc... i mean if they were developing nothing but episode 3 and kept delaying it to make refinements thats totally cool. but the fact that l4d is such a cash crop epitomizes why so much of gaming is going down the shitter today.

16. Tan_Man

Tan_Man New Member

I don't like where gaming is headed.......

17. Epicman

Epicman Active Member

This happens with every company in probably every sector. They start out small and really caring about their clients...once they reach a certain size and popularity they focus on the all mighty dollar.

18. Robo

Robo New Member

Valve's just jumping on the shitty, money-grubbing, herd-fleecing, playing it safe bandwagon.

Its fucking sad considering where Valve came from in the first place, and the way they came back as an innovative key PC developer.

19. fakeyfakerson

fakeyfakerson OT Supporter

i think they have more than one development team at valve :hsugh: obviously the guys who work on tf2 updates or l4d2 aren't working on portal 2/episode 3. they don't freeze production and only focus on one game.

valve is one of the few platinum developers, meaning every release from them is damn near gaming perfection. the orange box was probably the best deal ever in gaming, portal was ridiculously fun, episode 2 was amazing, and tf2 is still the best and currently most popular multiplayer game on the pc to date. i'm sure episode 3 won't disappoint.

yea they sort of fucked up episodic content, but what would you rather have; no episodic content, meaning half-life 3 would still be in development right now and would essentially be episodes 1-3 combined, or episodes 1-3, which is just half-life 3 broken up so we don't have to wait 8 years between half-life releases.

20. Anders 7

Anders 7 I aim to misbehave OT Supporter

there is plenty to bitch about valve. PLENTY. that said they are still the best out there. name one company thats worth a damn that cares more about what they do.

21. fakeyfakerson

fakeyfakerson OT Supporter

blizzard is the only other company i would say is on par with them. bioware is quickly convincing me, but i'd say only those 3 consistently make genre defining, or at least genre refining, incredibly polished games.

22. Crisis54

Crisis54 New Member

Valve is shitty but great at the same time.

They are milking the shit out of L4D franchise for sure, but you can't deny that their TF2 support has been great.

23. Der SchattenJager

Der SchattenJager Kupo, asshat.

Valve's games are great, but their management really sucks ass.

1) Taking 6 years to develop HL2 all while teasing their community every few months by lying about the release date.

2) Letting the HL2 beta code get leaked by putting it on a computer connected to the internet.

3) Removing a really good online system (WON) for an initially really shitty one (Steam)

4) Taking months and months to get Steam to work right.

5) Deciding to make episodic content as a sequel to HL2 that takes years in between each episode instead of focusing their time on HL3.

6) Releasing L4D and its sequel in less than a year all while completely neglecting HL2:E3.

7) Buying out quality 3rd party mods like DoD and CS and letting them stagnate.

8) Their complete disregard for the PS3.

24. freshie

freshie New Member

i haven't seen one left 4 dead advertisement, not even in stores.

25. tehsarb

tehsarb Mr Bubbles

so much nerd rage

in any case, remember back in the "glory days" of valve and steam used to basically just be HL, CS, and DoD? look at it now, it's basically a PSN/Xbox Marketplace for 3rd party devs to distribute their games. i'm guessing they just make money through this and dont really need to work on their own games, instead make sure steam is up and running for the other companies.