Even the Office 2007 box has a learning curve

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by piratepenguin, Aug 20, 2007.

1. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

http://www.joelonsoftware.com/items/2007/08/18.html

Lol!

2. ge0

ge0 New Member

vista isn't that bad.

3. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

Lots of intelligent people are telling me it's a complete waste of effort, some others that it isn't so bad.

It's certainly not making me miss using MS products. Disappointing or typical, depending on how you like MS's software.

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

The new MS packaging is fine. If you can't open it then you don't have the 3 brain cells required to actually use a computer.

Consider it a screening process.

5. OakleyTodd

OakleyTodd New Member

If you think the box is complicated, you should have seen the molds that make it! At least it was designed and built here in the U.S.

6. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

Right.

It is not a case of being unable to open the packaging, but being unable to open it immediately. Apparently there's misleading visual cues, and that is not good.

7. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Really? Because nobody could miss how to open Apple's packaging, which is so pleasant its like opening a work of art.

8. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I just use a knife, regardless of packaging type.

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

They have beautiful packaging.... but it hasn't always been the most intuitive to open. Same as the MS.

10. pyehac

pyehac if she's old enough to cross the street, she's old

I haven't seen a software box in a while. :rofl:

11. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

As far as I've been a fan, 5 years now, its always been beautiful and extremely elegant and ergonomic.

12. JaJae

JaJae New Member

It's fucking software packaging, get off the Apple nutsack already. This is absurd. There's a lot of reasons to give such a high praise to apple, but this is fucking ridiculous.

13. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

yea, definitely has a strong stench of sack-ride

14. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

Microsoft have apparently been trying as hard as Apple to create wondrous packaging. They just fail, that's all.

I'm sure Peyomp has many more reasons to be-fan Apple, far removed from their packaging. Jesus guys.

15. JaJae

JaJae New Member

I threw up in my mouth when I read this:

16. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Its not hard to get packaging right. You hire an industrial designer. The company that fails to do so is telling consumers, "WE DON'T GIVE A FUCK ABOUT YOU." Which is why Microsoft sucks, and Apple rules. This is reflected in their products.

Which was Joel's point, and is mine. But I guess you can't read at our level.

:)

17. JaJae

JaJae New Member

So because they hired some industrial engineer to design a.. gasp.. BOX, and then overcharge for their products, suddenly I should be envious of all things that are Apple. They got a nice product with their OSX. But seriously now, it's just a friggin box... get off the sack already.

18. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Second best package ever: box.

Single best package ever: box w/fold-out flap that shows you product features + interior view of box.

There is nothing more to say on this topic.

19. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

I suggest you get Bill Gate's cock out of your ass, if you can't handle any criticism.

20. JaJae

JaJae New Member

I have no problems criticizing Microsoft. I don't like Microsoft. I think Apple is a better company and they have a better product.

However, your sackriding of a fucking BOX has nothing to do with any invented ideas you can contrive of how I feel towards Microsoft. Just because I don't bust a nut over Apple packaging doesn't mean I "can't handle criticism of Microsoft." What kind of lame ass argument is that? A more accurate argument would be that you can't handle someone not willing to sackride every fucking MINUTE detail of Apple like it was some gift from the Gods bestowed upon mankind.

... it's just a fucking box man, get over it.

21. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

It is a beautiful design, which gives me pleasure. And it is indicative of the company's philosophy of design. Good product: Good box. Bad product: Bad box. What a fragile infant you are that you can't handle that.

22. JaJae

JaJae New Member

:rofl:

It's a box. Its purpose is to transport its product. Microsoft and Apple do that equally as well.

23. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

If you aren't capable of contemplating a box any deeper than that... this conversation is a waste of time. Tell that to a packaging engineer. :) I met one at the hotel bar a few weeks ago.

Its an operating system. Its job is to run programs. Microsoft and... oh, wait.

24. Mugen Yarrr

Mugen Yarrr New Member

I've been using Vista for a few months now with absolutely no problems. I don't really understand why people don't like it, I love it. I've had no driver issues at all and all of my programs work. Maybe it's a just a fluke for me, but screw Apple and their gay overpriced hardware. I treat Mac like I treat Linux, people only use it to say they aren't using Microsoft. People that use Mac almost NEVER say anything good about Microsoft, and I've tried both and saw nothing special. Yes, it looks a little better, but not enough for me to suck their dick and go without all the things I use my PC for.

Why can't people just like both? Mac is a decent OS, it's not like Steve Jobs is fucking god, and it's not like Windows is the best either. There is a reason Mac will NEVER reach Windows popularity, however, and that's because they are a dick and won't sell you just a copy of OSX, you have to buy their hardware, which is also why Macs are so stable, because they pretty much know EXACTLY what hardware you have.

25. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

macs arn't that stable, tho. That's the funny part.