Evaluate the Car Audio Equipment in this vehicle

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Spartus, Mar 9, 2005.

1. Spartus

Spartus New Member

Hey all, recently I helped my friend build a car audio system in his 1999 Nissan Altima. Here is what he ordered:

Kenwood EZ500 MP3 Headunit

Infinity Kappa 63.5 3 way speakers for the front doors, 75 watts rms
    Infinity Reference 6002i 2 way speakers for the rear deck, 60 watts rms

Alpine F340 4 Channel Amp, 55 watt rms x4 @ 4 ohms for his speakers

(2) Infinity Kappa Perfect 12VQ 12 inch subs, 400 watts rms/per sub
    Q Logic Type 3 Dual Ported Box for the subs

MTX 801D Mono amp for the subwoofers, 800 watts rms@ 2 ohms

He will also be running new speakers wire for his speakers, probably some 12 guage speaker wire.

Tell me what you guys think of these products and the set up overall.

Also, do you guys think my friend will need a capacitor for this set up? If so, how many farads?

Thanks

Last edited: Mar 9, 2005
  2. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

I think he did a pretty good job with all of it. I wouldn't have gone with Kenwood, but I'm sure there are people on here that like Kenwood. I also might have gone with Kappa Perfects, but they are a bit more expensive and afaik require more power, which means the amp would need to be upgraded. A friend of mine has an MTX monoblock for his sub and it works well.

As far as the cap goes, he is pushing an absolute maximum of 1000 watts RMS. Are those subs rated for two ohms? He will probably be alright without a cap, but I don't have experience with Altimas. One farad would be fine if he wants a cap, but with that much juice he may want to upgrade his alternator instead. If you get the very occasional light dimming on very hard bass hits, a cap should solve the problem, as they are meant for peak draws. If it is constant, you have more problems than a cap should be used to solve.

3. Ronin

Ronin Guest

Chris Rock drives an Altima, or atleast he used 2.

Infinity speakers are pretty good, they're supposed to be pretty good as far as clear sound quality goes.

4. Spartus

Spartus New Member

I believe the subs are 4 ohms but since he's pushing 2 with a mono amp, he'll be running them at 2 ohms. As far as the headunit goes, it was a birthday present from us. We actually got a really good deal on it, $97 after taxes, open box item. That is in the price range of Dual, Verge, and several lower model JVC headunits which I think this unit blows them all away with its features and expanadability options. So you guys think a 1 farad cap will be alright. I may get a good deal on a 2 farad, should we just get it instead of the 1 farad?

5. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

Ah yes, the impedance should have been obvious to be since he will be running them in parallel. I think a 1 farad cap will be just fine, he may not even need one at all. If you feel you need a cap or I guess if you just want one for the looks (which some do), and the 2 farad is less expensive than a 1 farad go for the 2 farad. But, I think it will be overkill.

6. 04

04 Guest

I wouldnt get a capacitor until you determine first that one is necessary. If you get the system installed and it works great without one, I really dont see any reason to add one.

7. Spartus

Spartus New Member

thanks guys. seems like both you, Veonake and 04 are scavenging these boards frequently and give very nice info on audio on other posts as well. Keep up the good work!

8. LuinHaden

LuinHaden Guest

All looks great, but the MTX Class D amp will only work for serious SPL.... its a nasty sounding amp. Which is good if you want that "hey listen to my car rattle!", but if you want a nice clean bass sound its crap.

Im sorry if I sound like a D-I-C, but I tried 3 different MTX 1500 Class D amps and all three to me sounded $hitty. I thought it was the amp, so I took it back, got the 2nd one and it sounded the same, got the 3rd one and it was the same... took it back and my installer told me to pay him another $150 and step up to a nice zapco amp.... ive been buying zapco amps ever since :)

I currently have 3 Zapco Studio 500s, a Zapco C2k6.0 and 2 Zapco C2k9.0 amps, and love every one of them!! :)

9. 04

04 Guest

Are you sure it was the amp's fault and not due to something like the bass boost being enabled on all three?

And what's to say that a 800 watt MTX class D amplifier would sound bad just because a different model did?

10. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

none of our hundreds of mtx amps we've sold have come back because of SQ issues.

11. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

i wouldnt have goen with an alipine amp, they arnt bad, but im in love with JL audio amps.

12. Spartus

Spartus New Member

JL amps may be awesome and all but the price versus the alpine amps is incredibly high!

13. denim

denim New Member

there is nothing wrong with that MTX amp