Evaluate my diet/routine.. v.please?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Raithan, Jun 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raithan

Raithan :wackit:

Hey all, I don't really post in F&N but lately I've decided to make some changes to my body.

I'm about 6'1-6'2 and around 205-210lbs and I'm 23 years old.. Basically, I want to lean up quite a bit before I begin lifting and bulking. Don't have a specific goal, but I was thinking somewhere around 180-190lbs. I haven't been under 200 lbs in at least 5 years so it would be a big change for me.

Anywho, for the last three weeks approximately I've been running 1.5-2 miles per day 5 days a week. I also have a job where I am constantly moving, on my feet, and doing large quantities of heavy lifting. (Side Note: Home Depot Sucks.)

My diet isn't exact, but it is as follows:
    Breakfast - Bowl of Honey Nut Cheerios and a scoop of ON Whey in a glass of skim Milk..

Lunch - BBQ'd chicken breast with montreal steak seasoning on it, a handful of peanuts, and two graham crackers.

Dinner - Either Another Chicken Breast, a medium size piece of steak (pry about 6-9 ounces), or a hamburger w/ just a bit of ketchup on it.

Snacks throughout the day consist of a small handful of peanuts every now and then, a handful of popcorn, or a graham cracker or two.

Also, I work from 7-3:30, get home abuot 4:00 and do my runs at 4:30.
    After I run, I have another scoop of Whey in Skim Milk.

Any thoughts/suggestions? Could use all the help I can get.

I'm also thinking about starting to take Rapid Thermal C3 from GNC along with Censor.

2. hootpie

hootpie New Member

Lift weights.

3. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

hmmm it could use a complete overhaul

4. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

at that height and that weight, you should bulk first, then cut

5. Raithan

More specifically?

Would really appreciate suggestions, straight criticism really doesn't help me a whole lot.. :x:

6. Toxicity

Toxicity New Member

7. Raithan

I really can't right now due to the fact I don't have the funds to go to the gym... Not for a couple more months I won't. So in the meantime, I wanted to do something to get a good foundation going, etc.

8. Elfling

Elfling New Member

If you're already on your feet all day anyways- I doubt you need the running.

More protein; aim for 1 to 1.5 g/lb of bodyweight, and have some protein at every meal.

Start lifting. There is no "waiting to be leaner before I lift" :hsd: start now. Otherwise you'll just be skinny-fat.

I don't think you need a stimulant; you need more protein and some good heavy lifting; let the job be your cardio.

9. Elfling

Elfling New Member

Check around. You can find a gym membership for 35 bucks or so. It's all about whether you really want it to be a priority or not.

10. Raithan

See, now your post was much more helpful ;) Thank you.

I honestly don't think I have a way of getting to the gym, but I'll look into it more and see. But also, if I were to begin bulking instead of trying to lean up, any other supplements I should get other than Protein and a multi-vitamin?

11. Elfling

Elfling New Member

I don't think you'll need anything more than the basics at this point :) You get this nice little boost called noob gains; eat right and lift and you'll see some really good results.

When it comes to gyms- look into YMCAs, month by month membership places are cropping up, stuff like that; sometimes hospitals have a gym you can get a membership to for cheap. A lot of gyms have a "only before or after a certain time" membership which although limiting can be a lot cheaper.

12. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

Track your food intake, weight yourself and see how it goes after a week then adjust. You might want to add fish oil caps as they promote fat loss and a bunch of other things (I have a hard time imagining people that wouldn't benefit from fish oil caps).

13. uofapeter

uofapeter New Member

what are your goals? if all you want to do is weigh less, than just diet and do cardio, and no your job is not enough to count it. running will burn fat and get you healthier over all, but you are not going to get muscular. If you want to gain LBM than you need to find a way into a gym. There is always body weight exercises, you can't go wrong with pushups/pullups etc. but if you dont have a place to go where you can focus its hard to get the motivation to enforce a body weight workout plan.

as to your diet, cut out the popcorn, graham crackers and little snacky things. they wont fill you up and they are just salty crap calories. you also have NO fruits or vegetables. go to the store and buy a bunch of apples and carry em around with you. Apples suppress your appetite and they are filling in proportion to their calories. you also didn't mention what you drink, (besides milk in the morning) if you are really trying to lose weight, remember that water has no calories and you can cut a significant chunk of your daily caloric intake out by just drinking water. the more water you drink as well the more full you will be and the less likely you will crave popcorn... good luck with your plan.

14. Elfling

Elfling New Member

Apples are just carbs, if you get down to it. There's nothing wrong with carbs in a cutting diet as long as adequate protein levels are kept.

I use low-fat or air-popped popcorn regularly as a snack, also. Absolutely nothing wrong with it.

15. uofapeter

uofapeter New Member

true, all natural popcorn is actually a recommended healthy snack, i just assumed it was microwave zesty act II butter popcorn, if you meant the former i apologize

16. Raithan

Woulda replied sooner but was out of town for a few days...
    Anywho, my basic goals were to cut the fat off of me. I am what most people would pry refer to as "skinnyfat." I figured if I did the leaning down with diet and cardio that I could cut some of that fat off, THEN proceed to do the bulking thing and put the weight back on, in the right places, of the right material (muscle).

I eat the peanuts cuz I know peanuts have the good fats and what not in them, plus a bit of protein, and they're yummy ;) The graham crackers I eat as a way to satiate the "sweets" craving and they really seem to work pretty well. I usually only have 2 servings of graham crackers a day. 1 with lunch, 1 as a snack before bed during "dessert time," or whatever. As for what I drink, I don't drink anything except milk and water. I drink easily 4-5 litres of water a day thanks to my job, and maybe at the most 2 glasses of milk a day. Other than that I don't drink soda, no coffee, no tea, sometimes juice (apple or orange), and sometimes lemonade.

So is everyone of the opinion that I am doing this backwards? I should try bulking and building a bit of muscle, THEN lean up?

Thanks for all the help from everyone, too. It's much appreciated.

17. Elfling

Elfling New Member

Never a prob :wiggle:

18. Elfling

Elfling New Member

Not that you should necessarily bulk, no- but that you should definitely start lifting, definitely get your protein up, and go from there :wavey:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.