Euro crew: school me on Saabs and Volvos

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by psykosis, Apr 13, 2009.

1. psykosis

psykosis Go placidly amid the noise and the haste

I'm on the fence about buying one. I'd have about $8k to work with, so I'm shopping early S60s and either a 99-01 Viggen or an early 9-3 redesign.

how reliable are these cars? Anything in particular I should be looking for when I'm looking at the cars? I know the saabs can suffer from sludge buildup, but have not heard much about the volvos. I just want something more comfortable than my Integra, something reasonably sporty, and that isn't prone to mechanical failure and that won't rape me when i need to fix something.

I'm also considering an e36 m3, but in the price range I'm at, I'm afraid of getting something beat to shit.

:wavey:

2. GiRaff3

GiRaff3 New Member

3. psykosis

4. Toxicity

Toxicity New Member

don't worry about us schooling you, buy one, it will school you :rofl:

5. psykosis

that's my fear...

6. volvoc70

volvoc70 New Member

Volvos run for ever. I have a neighbour that has done nothing to his Volvo 240 but regular oil changes and tires and it has over 600000 miles.

I personally have my 2001 Volvo C70 Coupe and it has 82k miles now and I havent had anything break besides a control arm which was due to an accident.

As long as you service them regularly they run forever.

7. Spin

Spin You spin me right round baby, right round

I would stay away from the early 9-3 redesigns. 03-04 in particular, they will be out of warranty and either cost you a lot of money or a lot of headaches, most likely both. I have a early 04 9-3 and can't stand the bugs and problems. In fact you want to buy it?

8. Boomdart

Boomdart New Member

i don't know much at all about saabs...

but volvo's are just about the most reliable things you can buy. At least the 80's and early 90's ones are I know, everyone I've ever seen has thousands and thousands of miles on it above what you'd think a car should have any right to hold up for that long :p I had a late 70's model once...mighta been a early 80's one, used to have pics 'till my hd crashed. Anyway, that thing had 800k miles the guy I got it from said it was all original, and the engine bay was even kept clean the whole time as well which was a shocker. I didn't have it long, met someone that needed a car and I let them have it.

Seriously, there are people out there with 1mil+ miles on their volvos on the original engine, you could probably find news reports on some of these people if you looked hard enough.

Don't know a whole lot about 95-or-so+ volvos though, but I'm sure they're just as good as they ever were.

9. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

As others have said, Volvos are generally pretty bulletproof... my grandpa had a 198x Volvo 264GL (?) with the PRV V6 engine. That thing had 450k miles on it when he sold it, and apparently, it's still being driven today. Now he has a 1988 740 Turbo with 170k miles on it. He has had some minor problems here and there, but considering the age and mileage, I would still say it's pretty reliable.

10. GiRaff3

GiRaff3 New Member

It really depends on the car and how it is taken care of...

I am on my 2nd S60R, and I only got rid of the first because it was auto. Between the 2, the first one had an exhaust leak, other than that I have only paid for regular maintenance.

11. saabguy

saabguy Active Member

i have an '03 9-5 Aero and it's been very good. a couple little things here and there, but i've got a great saab mechanic down the street. nothing really major though. 103,000 miles, still runs great. biggest problems are going to be the Direct Ignition cassette ($250, some "go" after 20,000 miles, some owners have the same one for 100,000+. normal is about 60-80k) and the pixels in the Saab Information Display tend to burn out. i had a '99 9-3 and traded it in at 130,000. great value for these cars...very good gas mileage (about 26-28 in my aero now), nice mix of sporty/comfort/safety.

used ones here too ---> http://www.saabnet.com/tsn/class/

12. The1Ash10

The1Ash10 Active Member

no S60R, no care

13. Hegemon

Hegemon New Member

SAAB is now GM
    Volvo is now Ford

so fail.

14. psykosis

Golly, I don't know how I'd get by w/o your help. This clears everything up.

:slap:

15. Tom93R1

Tom93R1 Member

I have a '96 Volvo 850R wagon with almost 170k miles on it. I have had to put probably $2k into it since I bought it 2 years ago. Needed shocks/struts, ball joints, axles, tires, heater core, and a number of other small things that add up. Nothing major though, its pretty damn reliable. The thing handles very well and is pretty quick for a 90's soccer mom car. My only complaint is the 850R was only available as automatic.

If that's a route you are thinking of going it's certainly worth keeping a couple thousand for the repairs that will be needed up front. Really though, anything you get would be similar in that regard.

16. swedishstar

swedishstar Active Member

I can't vouch for Saab, but we have had Volvos in my family. I have had one of them.

95' 850GLT- Amazing car. Rock solid. Transmission (Borg Warner unit) had 155k when I got it and it wasn't missing a beat, unlike my brand new Honda tranny. I would still like to have it. Mom has an 08 V70 and I really like it too.

17. Toxicity

Toxicity New Member

Okay ill be more nice.. don't buy s80's, be careful witht he s60's and s40's. the 'xxx' series were all bulletproof. the s70 was still a boss car. the newer generations haven't really been great. Personally had an s80T6 with about 120k miles.. problems with the turbo, some other pretty costly stuff, and finally the crappy GM 4 speed blew up, so i had to get rid of it.

18. Hegemon

Hegemon New Member

1st gen s70. 2nd gen was ford. :o

19. 430man

430man New Member

My step mother has a Saab 9 3 convertible that recently fell victim to the engine sludge plague.
    I myself owned a 1998 Volvo S70 which I absolutely loved. Only reason I sold it was because I found my current Mercedes CLK 430. Still miss the S70 when i think about it. :wtc:

20. psykosis

the sludge issue scares the hell out of me. I found a couple saabs I'm in love with (99 blue Viggen coupe and 01 black Viggen vert), but the sludge issue is a major concern for me.

21. vansamirin

vansamirin Active Member

Just get the oil pan dropped before you get the car, costs around $250 at a shop, and you can sleep better at night. I do at least.