Ethernet ?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Diesel4mee, May 2, 2007.

1. Diesel4mee

Diesel4mee U.P. > L.P. OT Supporter

Ok so i was looking to build a new computer. I have my old computer that i will use mostly for holding files on. Some of the new Mobo have two Ethernet ports so can i use one to hook up to the internet and the other to run a cross over to my storage comp.

2. kamikaze

kamikaze Active Member

why not get a router, and then you just plug both computers into it? I guess you could get gigabit NIC's and get faster transfers between the 2 computers, but you'd have to use internet connection sharing for the one that's not directly connected to the internet.

3. EvanD

EvanD Active Member

yes?

4. Diesel4mee

i live in house with other people we will have a router i was wondering if that would be a faster connection between the two comps and if that would even work.

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

If you're going to use separate ethernet connections to hook up to the internet and to hook up to your storage server, you're going to need to study up on how to program static routing paths so you can tell your computer to always use the second ethernet card when it wants to talk to the storage server.

It would be easier to hook both machines up to the router.

6. Create

Create :free at last:

It would work with what's called a 'cross connect' cable. It crosses the input and output pinouts in the cable termination.

Say you connect from the existing switch to your computer, then from your through a cross-connect to the spare. The spare will want to communicate, but every time it does your computer has to 'route' the traffic. It creates overhead.

While it could be a bit faster to move files, it won't be noticable. The lag on your computer will be very noticable, though.

Hook both to the router. It's not only easier, but overall performance will be better.

7. kamikaze

kamikaze Active Member

well, you will only see a faster connection if both machines have gigabit nics. if they are only 10/100 then you'd likely be just as fast going thru the router. the only time you are going to notice is with big files anyway.

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

WRONG.
    No static routes neccessary. No default gateway on second NIC and static IPs on diff subnet.

9. Diesel4mee

OK so the conclusion is just hook both up to the network. On a side note i have 13 house mates and a 10 mb line they all have wireless g and we are looking to get a router any suggestions. also can u support that many people on one router

10. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

That's only true if the storage computer will be using the internet (and he installs ICS to allow it to do that).

If both boxes have gigabit NICs (and assuming the switch in the router is 100mb) then the file transfers will be faster. If one of the boxes is 100mb then it won't make much of a difference either way.

11. Create

ANY traffic from the spare box has to be forwarded, including default MS broadcast junk, norton's broadcast junk, etc. I guess if you tune the spare, but why bother?

I'd run 100M instead of 1G before daisy-chaining.

12. Diesel4mee

Any suggestions on a router for 14 computers or what way to split the 10 mb line.

13. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

:ugh:

you will need to program the ips manually - just make sure the second card is not on the same subnet, windows advertisments will do the rest and you should be able to connect via computer name.

14. deusexaethera

I guess my concern is more that the two machines not even try to use their primary NICs to communicate with each other through the router. I was assuming that the fileserver would be connected to the router as well as to the OP's machine, so that his roommates could use it too, in which case he would need to enforce the rule that they should only use the secondary NICs to communicate with each other, but I suppose he could just have the fileserver plugged into his computer only. Kinda pointless to even have the fileserver be a separate machine if that's what he's going to do, though.

15. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

wrong. The windows box will not act as a router by default. Any broadcast traffic on that segment will be terminated there, not forwarded.

16. Create

So it's a gimped USB HDD that can't communicate with anyone else on the network? How fucking pointless.

17. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Not really. If he has a some extra drives in an old box, and he doesn't want to share it out with his roommates, it's a perfectly respectable solution.

18. Create

Yeah, *if* I were Mark Antony, and *if* we were in Egypt, my slave would be doing you in the pooper right now.

19. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Isn't it past your bedtime? Why don't you go back to the bong and leave the hard stuff to the adults, eh?

20. deusexaethera

Uh...huhhh. Anyway, EvilSS is right. If the guy wants to have a personal storage array that's physically more than 6 feet away, hooking it up to a secondary NIC with a different subnet address than his primary NIC is the best solution.

For practicality's sake, though, if he wants to have a fileserver, he should just share it over the router, set user-level access permissions on the fileshares, and maybe add a dedicated secondary connection to his own machine if he's not getting the performance he wants.